StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a tire search but couldn't get no satisfaction. I am about to get two new tires for my DL650ABS and want some opinions on what brand tire has good results on the interstate and wet conditions. The only dirt riding I do on the 650 is hard dirt roads, seldom mud. I have a 250XL for the nasty stuff. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Metzler Tourances have been working great for me!

Good street handling and they like hard pack dirt. They don't enjoy mud or loose stuff so much though but if you know that in advance you can deal with pretty much everything with them. Best part is that they last a good long while.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I had Bridgestone Battlewing on the back and really liked it. Felt solid in the rain, and super grippy. My only gripe was that when you get it pretty hot (85+ on the interstate with luggage on a hot day), the rubber balls up and it wears quicker.

I'm running Tourances now, and haven't had any issues at all in the rain. But they are sure not the tire to have for clay mud.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I'm running Tourances now, and haven't had any issues at all in the rain. But they are sure not the tire to have for clay mud.
Mine filled in all the tread with mud and made a cool looking slick. And it was slick too cause down I went LOL

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Mine filled in all the tread with mud and made a cool looking slick. And it was slick too cause down I went LOL
I doubt if anthing short of agressive self-clearing knobbies are good for sticky mud.

While I currently have Pirelli Scorpion Sync S/Ts, and they are great handling, sticky tires when warm, I'd have to say they are not very good in cool, wet conditions. The Metzeler Tourances are the tire that has impressed me most in terms of wet traction, and were also very good in the dry and gave a good ride. They did seem prone to wear somewhat quickly in high temps (like 90+), however.

Can't say the Battlewings(edit: not Battlewings, Trailwings), Scorpions S/Ts or Tourances have differed much in the miles they've returned - the roads around here are lacking in twisties, and my summer tours inevitably involve a bunch of superslab droning which tends to square tires off, regardless of brand.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I really punished the Battlewing I had on the twisties. It was only a few miles to State 4 from my house in Los Alamos, and it was my preferred ride. You get about 50 miles of turns and corners and I was, for better or worse, good at riding that road. That's probably why mine wore so well, haha. I managed about 8500 miles on the Battlewing.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I've been very happy with the Michelin Pilot Roads. The only time I've lost grip was on a very cold night and they weren't warmed up yet. I take it pretty easy when it's raining though, so I don't personally know their limits when wet, but they get good reviews for wet traction.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I ended up with a BW501 Front and a 021 in the rear....Both are very predictable either in the wet or the dry. Tractions limits are very good even with minimal warm up. I'd still be using the 020 front if they made them.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I did a tire search but couldn't get no satisfaction. I am about to get two new tires for my DL650ABS and want some opinions on what brand tire has good results on the interstate and wet conditions. The only dirt riding I do on the 650 is hard dirt roads, seldom mud. I have a 250XL for the nasty stuff. Thanks.
You might find a little information here:

Tires!

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I'm also about to get new tires, here is my short list:

# 1. Continental Conti Road Attack or there Conti Trail Attack View attachment 3963 (deeper tread, should last longer and is there "Dual Purpose" tire)
# 2. Avon Azaro ST View attachment 3966 up front & Avon Storm ST View attachment 3967 for the rear
# 3. Metzeler Tourance View attachment 3968

Lot's of choices and opinions when it comes to tires - good luck.

DL650ABS

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,040 Posts
I'm just finishing out a set of Avon 45/46's and they are great in the rain. They are going to do 10K easy, the only problem is they don't make them anymore. I have a set of Conti Road Attacks setting on the shelf ready to go on. heard good stuff about them.

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
So far I REALLY like the Battle wing, this is coming from a big fan of the Tourances. I am curious with the new Conti Trail attack, it looks like it could be another promising option.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a lot for the opinions. Thanks also for that tire link Heavy, a lot of reading there. I would rather have traction and a nice ride than tires that last more miles.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Conti Road Attack user

Well....I'm on my second rear Conti road Attack. Still on the same front. I rode these tires from I-10 in south Louisiana to Arkansas and toured the mountains and then rode home for 12 hours in a driving 38 degree rain storm.

Freakin' AWESOME tires.

First rear tire lasted 5,000 miles, but she was burned down the middle by my boring 80 mile round trip daily commute on flat, straight, concrete I-10.

Cheers.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,040 Posts
I guess you can still get the Avon's, you just have to get the Azaro-ST for the front and the Storm-ST for the year. :D Had I known that I would have got them instead of the Conti's.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Thanks a lot for the opinions. Thanks also for that tire link Heavy, a lot of reading there. I would rather have traction and a nice ride than tires that last more miles.
If you can live with 6000 miles or maybe even less the Pirelli Scorpion Syncs are the best and I have ridden Trailwings, Battlewings, Syncs, Sync St (RIP), Pilot Roads (no complaints so far in 1000 miles) on both Wees and Vees.

Incredible grip on those Pirellis but they are soft.

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If you can live with 6000 miles or maybe even less the Pirelli Scorpion Syncs are the best and I have ridden Trailwings, Battlewings, Syncs, Sync St (RIP), Pilot Roads (no complaints so far in 1000 miles) on both Wees and Vees.

Incredible grip on those Pirellis but they are soft.
I like my Sync S/Ts but I've found their grip in cool, wet conditions to be less than ideal. Warm, they stick like glue. While touring eastern Ontario last fall on a cool, rainy day, I kept feeling the front end starting to push coming into corners at any significant lean angle, and later in the day while riding in the wet groove of the lane I could spin the rear tire up at will at 4,000 rpm and 80 km/h, while vertical. Maybe the roads were just particularly greasy that day, following a long, dry summer? I know I saw a lot of vehicles off in the ditch that day. Not a confidence-inspiring feeling, anyway.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I like my Sync S/Ts but I've found their grip in cool, wet conditions to be less than ideal. Warm, they stick like glue. While touring eastern Ontario last fall on a cool, rainy day, I kept feeling the front end starting to push coming into corners at any significant lean angle, and later in the day while riding in the wet groove of the lane I could spin the rear tire up at will at 4,000 rpm and 80 km/h, while vertical. Maybe the roads were just particularly greasy that day, following a long, dry summer? I know I saw a lot of vehicles off in the ditch that day. Not a confidence-inspiring feeling, anyway.

Yeah I got 15,000 miles out of the Sync STs on my Wee when they made them. Scorpion Sync is a completely different bird. Got 5500 miles out of them but they stuck like glue. I could smell them burning on The Dragon on a 40 degree day in November last year. I have marbles stuck to my exhaust pipes. Must have been some other guy's tire. :)

I wish they still made the STs. They would be perfect for Florida. The Syncs are (I would think) a racing tire. The Bridgestone Battlewing is a similar tire.

Rod
Michelin Pilot Roads
Riverview, Fl

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
michelin anakee

does noone use the anakee?

i'm thinking of ordering my bike with those instead of the trailwings.

from what i've researched, they're the best tires for my type of riding which seems the same as the op (original poster).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts