StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Strom DL1K, i'm looking for the best tire for what i ride. I ride a lot on the road but i want the ability to go on a gravel/ dirt trail. i would say i ride 75% road 25% off road. I live in a urban area and we don't have much "hardcore" off road trail. I am looking for a tire that i can still be aggressive on the pavement and not have the bike wash out on me but i want to option to he the power lines or open fields. Would the TKC 70s be the tire for me? please let me know what you think. Thank you for your help and info.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Before your post is moved to where it should be, let me vote for Shinko 705.
They do it all.
Just a little light on longevity.
And you save a bundle.

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
Its where it belongs now, and when I get around to it.......I am going to try and break up the tire section in appropriate categories. New models are always coming out, it could be a constant editing job for me or somebody else to keep things current.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
I ride the TKC70'S and really like them. I wore them to the edge on the second ride. I opted for the Shinko 804/805 on my other Strom but will try the Mitas E07's next. Shinko 705's have a big following but many also complain about the noise.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: SECoda

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I ride the TKC70'S and really like them. I wore them to the edge on the second ride. I opted for the Shinko 804/805 on my other Strom but will try the Mitas E07's next. Shinko 705's have a big following but many also complain about the noise.

Between 40-50 mph they are indeed, real vocal. Besides that not bad IMHO.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
Between 40-50 mph they are indeed, real vocal. Besides that not bad IMHO.
Which is the speed I most often ride at; therfore, they were not considered by me.

·
Registered
22,288 Posts
i would say i ride 75% road 25% off road.
please tell us your definition of 25% "off road"

gravel roads ? , forest access roads ? or what off road is, off any defined road ?

also approximately how many miles per year in total.

answers to these question will help in recommending what is best for you, without knowing, any recommendation would be a guess

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,354 Posts
What you ask is not easy for one tire to do. At least not without compromises. I have run Shinko 705's and think they are hard to beat for occasional gravel/packed dirt. They do very well on the pavement, holding better than you might think they could and also do well in wet conditions. They do not wear very long. There is road noise, but not all that bad.

Continental TKC 70's are a LOT better off the pavement. Especially the front tire. But it comes at a price. The front tire isn't quite a knobby tire, but it has blocks of tread with a lot of space between them. So, it feels like a knobby in that it has some wobble at certain speeds. It also doesn't feel planted when cornering very hard. It is very noisy at about any speed but not so much it bothers me. It is a very good tire to consider if you do some off pavement riding where there is any loose material. The front tire bites a lot better than the 705 in dirt and loose material. It is NOT a knobby and it will washout easier than a knobby. But, the wear is simply great. The front tire will cup some, like a knobby. Front TKC 70 might not outwear a front 705. But the rear looks like it will go twice as long as a 705! The TKC 70 has a very heavy carcass, something I like in an off highway tire as the chance of puncture is less. 705 is pretty thick also. For instance, Michelin Pilot Road Trail series tires feel very thin when compared to these two tires.

I would probably run the TKC 70 most of the time if I were off pavement quite a bit. There are expensive brands with good reputations ( Heidenou, MEFO ) that might be better off and maybe on road. But cost a lot. If I were never going to see anything loose or anything muddy off road, I think the stock Bridgestone tires are actually very hard to beat as an all around tire.

·
Registered
22,288 Posts
I'm thinking a Avon Distanzia, I ran a set on my SV650, once, they were not bad on pavement and better than a sport touring tire on gravel

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
I don't see how a TKC70 would be better off pavement than a 705?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,354 Posts
If you look at the tread in person ( in a picture they don't look all that aggressive ) on the front TKC 70 it has a LOT more area between the tread blocks than you might think. A lot more than a 705. While the 705 has some open grooves it still doesn't have the same kind of biting edges the TKC does. I have had both and think highly of both, but the TKC 70 is my choice for off road of any kind. The 705 is my choice if I rode pavement most of the time and only occasionally went off pavement. In fact, I may run a 705 front and TKC 70 rear next.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I sold my 650 with the TKC70s. I really liked them as well. Not cheap but good mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
+1 on the 705's. After hearing so much about this tire, I took a chance. My dealer recommended them, and sold them to me for $150/pair. Very good grip on dry and wet pavement, and seems good on hard packed dirt/gravel roads. Don't know the longevity yet, but would purchase again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
please tell us your definition of 25% "off road"

gravel roads ? , forest access roads ? or what off road is, off any defined road ?

also approximately how many miles per year in total.

answers to these question will help in recommending what is best for you, without knowing, any recommendation would be a guess

I ride on gravel roads and some hard pack dirt trails. I want to get more adventurous but i don't want to get stuck in a spot with my current tire (it a street only tire). I stay away from the mud. I got the bike 2 weeks ago and have put 800 miles on it. I'm a new ride so i don't know how many miles i ride a year.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts