StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pickup a 650 this weekend and transport in truck bed. Visually it looks like the lower triple tree tie down points will not work due to potential contact with the body pieces. Can anyone confirm this? If so, are the side black frame/engine a good tie down point or too far back? Or would up on the bars be best to avoid issues. There are no crash bars on the bike.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I used 3 tie downs each side, V2.

Triple tree towards the front, Crash bars to the side, rear frame to the rear.

You could use the handlebars to the side (removed on the images). Helps to have extra loops to attach the hook to rather than hook directly to the bike.

Automotive lighting Vehicle Tire Snow Wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

This is how I tied the KLR:

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Tie down on the fork legs right at the front axle, or above where your fender mounts if that is possible on your bike (it isn't on my FJR) - one to each side and then tie down the rear tire. Allows the suspension to do what it wants and you can't get any slack no matter how hard you hit a bump since you are completely below the suspension. My 650lb FJR was rock steady the whole 300 mile trip from where I bought it.

Wheel Automotive lighting Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Video

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Looking to pickup a 650 this weekend and transport in truck bed. Visually it looks like the lower triple tree tie down points will not work due to potential contact with the body pieces. Can anyone confirm this? If so, are the side black frame/engine a good tie down point or too far back? Or would up on the bars be best to avoid issues. There are no crash bars on the bike.
One thing that I should note is that a lot of modern pickup tie-down hooks are pretty floppy. So if you are going that route, make sure to test out yours before you commit to using them to strap down a bike. For the $35 it costs to rent a motorcycle trailer from U-haul, it is a much easier way to transport.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing that I should note is that a lot of modern pickup tie-down hooks are pretty floppy. So if you are going that route, make sure to test out yours before you commit to using them to strap down a bike. For the $35 it costs to rent a motorcycle trailer from U-haul, it is a much easier way to transport.
These are rated at 661lb each.
Rectangle Font Door handle String instrument accessory Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
There are a purpose built design that incorporates an eye loop at both ends, and fuzzy padding for the paint. Pass one end through the eye of the strap and choke the handlebar. Criss cross the steering stem. Eye loop at opposing end is for traditional cinch strap hook. This method is very secure as no hook on the handlebar will ever shake loose.
The Harley image (above)looks like a Bozo No-No.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
There are a purpose built design that incorporates an eye loop at both ends, and fuzzy padding for the paint. Pass one end through the eye of the strap and choke the handlebar. Criss cross the steering stem. Eye loop at opposing end is for traditional cinch strap hook. This method is very secure as no hook on the handlebar will ever shake loose.
The Harley image (above)looks like a Bozo No-No.
LOL - Bozo transports lots of bikes and it is the most stable way to tie one down. Your mileage may vary, but there is absolutely no way for the bike to detach no matter how hard you hit a bump. I'll have to find it, but he has a picture of a customers trailer that rolled over and the bikes were still solidly locked down to the floor (with the trailer laying on its side)

Reactions: Gert and Solarguy

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant

This is the way I tied down my '12 DL1000.
  • Baxley Chock for the front wheel
  • Ratchet straps with a Soft Tie on the end
  • Felt Fabric around the rear handholds
  • Soft Tie around an exposed frame member in front

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: Gert and PlugnPlay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the way I tied down my '12 DL1000.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!
Thanks. My concerns were all around the front tie downs. I have three available tie downs on each side in the bed. I should be able to easily hit the rear and mid points circled here. I believe if I crisscross the front from the lower tree, there will be no fairing contact. Or potentially right above the fender.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Buy a decent wheel chock and it makes life a lot easier. It like an extra set of hands. Roll the bike in to the chock and it hold the bike while you tie it down. My personal preference is a Baxley Sport chock but the ones from HF are okay.

With Baxley I use two straps up front pulling down and forward below front suspension and two straps in the rear barely compressing the suspension. I want the bike to float on its suspension not make it part of the truck.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Buy a decent wheel chock and it makes life a lot easier. It like an extra set of hands. Roll the bike in to the chock and it hold the bike while you tie it down. My personal preference is a
Baxley Sport chock......

Font Magenta Rectangle Circle Logo

Reactions: Motorpsychology

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Sorry - I screwed up this particular post.

• Haha
Reactions: PlugnPlay

·
Registered
419 Posts
Rear end of your bike— low tie down thru wheel spokes or cast wheel spokes.You’re holding the bike down,not the suspension.Up high is wobbly.
Don’t use handle bars to secure your bike. Seems counter-intuitive to tie bike lower.

·
Registered
162 Posts
While this may not help you this close to picking up your bike, but for future reference, get yourself a canyon dancer bar harness, you will love them. I use mine and then put a couple of straps around the back somewhere just as a back up but I wouldn't hesitate to travel anywhere with just the canyon dancers on.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I picked up a set of these tie downs (on Craigs List) for my KTM where there were no places on the 990 Super Duke for a rear tie down. Only one required and it works great!!!
BTW, they only cost $20 :cool:
Light Black Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 31 Posts