StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have "good" (but not great) gloves and the stock Suzuki hand/wind guards. I have an hour commute and I'm ok down to about 45 deg. Once it gets below that, it gets pretty rough on the hands. I've made the trip when it's been in the mid 30's and that is down right brutal on my fingers on the right hand (no cruise control). My question is, what do you feel is the best bang for the buck? High price gloves, or heated grips?

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
I have Oxford heated grips and like them but my riding conditions don't get anywhere near that cold - and the grips don't heat the outside of one's hands! And the throttle grip gets hotter as it has less heat sucked away by the handle bars.

I have Thinsulated leather gloves but I don't like them as they are bulky and I don't have the same feel for the controls.

Heated gloves are available.

I have seen an absolutely ugly mitt one slides the hand into but I can't remember its name. It has a real Forties-Fifties look.

Edit: Found this:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've had both. What I've found works best for me, is heated grips/ grip heaters, and once it gets too cold for that, i put a set of mitts over the bars/handguards. I use the "tusk atv mitts" on my DR and my FZ6, they're only $20. This allows me to use a regular glove. Winter and heated gloves are thicker and bulkier, so you lose some feel of the controls. For shorter rides commuting to work and whatnot, it's kinda a pain plugging in the heated gloves. With my setup, it's just hop on and go. In addition, once you install the heated grips, they're always there - so for spring/fall days when it's cool in he morning and evening, but warm during the day, you only need to bring one pair of gloves.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
Heated gloves work very well for me. easy wiring. A tad annoying having the harness in the jacket.

I also have heated grips....the gloves work better because they do the back of the hands.

·
Registered
22,321 Posts
the first addition to any bike I have owned has been heated grips, they are always there whether you need them or not, for that cool summer morning when you have lightweight gloves, or getting hit with cool rain

once temps get colder, they may not be enuf, that is when heated gloves or handlebar muffs take over

hypothermia is a dangerous thing, cold hands do not operate controls as well, too much loss of heat from extremities and your core cools and cognitive functions and reaction time is comparable to being drunk or worse

·
Registered
304 Posts
the first addition to any bike I have owned has been heated grips, they are always there whether you need them or not, for that cool summer morning when you have lightweight gloves, or getting hit with cool rain

once temps get colder, they may not be enuf, that is when heated gloves or handlebar muffs take over
+1, this is what I have always done. The grips are always on the bike and can be used on the fly.

·
Administrator
6,356 Posts
For me heated grips only warmed the inside of my hands where what really needed protection was the front of my fingers. The best cure I found was waxed cotton overmitts. They take up no room at all and work well in cold and rain. Those ATV mitts might be worth a try though.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Heated gloves work very well for me. easy wiring. A tad annoying having the harness in the jacket. I also have heated grips....the gloves work better because they do the back of the hands.
I opted for Warm-n-Safe heated touring gloves and they are great. However, if riding rain all day they will absorb water in the leather but they are waterproof inside. They need to dry out well overnight. If I encounter that I wear the large dishwashing outergloves over the heated ones. Riding into the teens... no problem.

Reactions: V-Tom and Spec

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,438 Posts
Heated grips make a lot of difference.
Heated gloves are even better, but a pain to deal with and usually bulky.
Hand guards help, but once it gets cold they are not that much better.
Hippo Hands or similar help, but are weird to get used to.

One thing I have learned is that a thin silk (if you can find them) glove UNDER your regular winter glove can make a huge difference.

·
Registered
15,605 Posts
Oxford grips, hand guards, Heated gloves and those handlebar covers. Handle bar muff!. Took my old brain 20 minutes to find that term.
Taking the car when it gets cold?
AUDEW Pair Waterproof Motorcycle Grip HandleBar Muff Winter Warmer Thermal Cover Glove

Ugly, but it's a potential hand protector. Cheapo too.
Oxford Bone Dry Handlebar Muffs - My Cooling Store
Finally came to me...HIPPO HANDS!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've had 3 bikes with heated grips and while they work well at mild temperatures, they aren't worth much when it gets very cold. Like other folks mentioned, the backs of your hands will still get cold. With that in mind, I looked at rechargeable glove liners and I think I'll invest in a pair this winter. Hand guards and expensive winter riding gloves just aren't enough for me but I do ride all winter.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have seen an absolutely ugly mitt one slides the hand into but I can't remember its name. It has a real Forties-Fifties look.
Those mitts have a contemporary rebirth of the original "Hippo-Hands"
product list | Hippo Hands LLC

I also agree with everyone who suggests heated grips

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Heated grips is the first line of defense. I use Symtec grip heaters. They allow you to use any grip over them. Insulate the left bar with a wrap of electrical tape.

Grip heaters are great because they are always on the bike, comes in handy.

Next heated gloves. The Grip heaters only heat your palms of course and the gloves only heat the back of the hands. Typically if it's cold enough for the gloves I have the grip heaters on too.

Lastly if it's really cold for extended riding I use handle bar muffs. I used the RM Tusk mitts mentioned for several years. I found Kolpin Geartector ATV mitts and they work better for not much more money. Punch a hole for the mirror stalks and they are good to go. You do need some sort of hand guard to keep them off the levers at speed.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I went with the Warm & Safe heated glove liners. They're less expensive and bulky than a heated glove and allow me to vary the outer shell depending on weather conditions. I've ridden down into the 20's and rarely need half power.

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had some heated grip wraps that stopped working so I used to put the chemical hand warmers in the BACK of my gloves as close to my fingers as possible. They never got too hot but would really help keep my hands warmer than my heated grips did.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got oxford heated grips (adventure model I think). If it's cold enough I've also got a pair of insulated gauntlet style gloves that help with the back of the hand. I also found having hand guards (whether OEM or otherwise) help keep the wind off your hands which help too.
I've ridden all the way down to 25 degrees. At that temp for sustained rides, there is a bit of willpower that has to come into play too :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
With heated grips (good ones, like Oxfords) + handguards, I'm very comfortable down to 20 degrees for extended periods if I crank them up. You need the right kind of gloves for that (thin palms, insulated backs), but I've never found heated grips to be a limitation.

I tried heated gloves, but I didn't like the bulk and feel of them.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
I have heated grips, factory handguards and ATV Mitts. Nothing has helped as much as the mitts. Anything above 40 degrees and the grip heaters have to go off. Best thing is that heavy gloves aren't needed. Summer gloves year round.
Many day long rides in the 20s and 30s with this combo. Even one 100 mile morning starting at 10 degrees and only got to 15 at the end.

·
Administrator
13,809 Posts
I don't ride in as cold weather as Randy (who is my here!) but has ridden a fair amount down into single digit F.

I had heated grips on my 2006 DL650. I really enjoyed them. I actually wore out a set and had a second set installed. I did not have heated jacket or gloves at the time.

On my 2012 DL650 I got into heated jacket and gloves. Once you have a heated jacket it is absolutely no hassle at all using the heated gloves. The wires are at the end of the jacket and ready to be plugged in.

I never bothered installing the set of heated grips that I bought for my 2012 DL650. Maybe some day I will install them on my DL1000 but I don't feel any pressing need.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 54 Posts