StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I've read The Finer Points Of Washing And Detailing thread. But I thought I'd double-check; what's a good soap to use to wash off sticky pollen? I'm in Los Angeles and the place where I live has stuff growing everywhere. Very pretty, but I haven't had much luck washing it off. Granted, I haven't tried too many different things, but I don't want to use anything that'd be a bad idea.

(If the same stuff is also good and safe for a Givi Airflow windshield, so much the better; I'm Very Paranoid about the possibility of scratching it up.)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Auto part stores have various "bug and tar" removers, safe for painted surfaces. Be sure to check the label and test on an inconspicuous area for clear plastic. Kerosene works too.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Lemon Pledge and a clean micro fiber towel.

For bugs a paper towel soaked in water draped over the windscreen for 5 minutes to rehydrate the bug then spray off with a hose. For the stubborn bugs simply wipe your hand over them while rinsing with clean water.

Also keep in mind no mater how carefully you clean a windscreen eventually you are going to scratch/swirl it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've had success with Dawn dish soap. It seems to take everything off. So you will have to rewax after use.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
when I want to spiff up my bike I spray with S100 bike cleaner. hose off and dry with towel. I think it does a fine job but I have not encountered a problem with pollen before.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Are you talking about sticky sap or actual pollen? Totally different things. Pollen is a protein and a nasty one at that. Spikey little contraptions that if rubbed around will scratch a surface like fine sandpaper. Sap is a liquid plant secretion.

Sap requires a soap (surfactant) to dissolve. Dawn is the best you can buy in this category. Try that first.

If it is crusted pollen you need an entirely different approach.
A thick mix of meat tenderizer with water and glycerin (to keep it from evaporating) applied to the pollen for a few hours will hydrate and "digest" the protein. Meat tenderizer is based on an enzyme (papain from papayas or bromelain from pineapple stems) that breaks down proteins. Bromelain is 5X + more effective... The pollen will end up as a goo that can be gently washed off without damaging paint or plastic.

I developed the meat tenderizer formula for old cars that sat outside for years. Worked for me.

Aren't you glad you asked?? :)

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've used Dawn, but that didn't seem to get it. It's not sap. It looks like a kind of coarse dust, but it Just Doesn't Want To Come Off. (When I washed with Dawn, lots of dirt came off on the cloth and in the water, but it still looked like "dust" afterwards.) And there are enough flowering plants and trees nearby that I can only assume it's pollen. I'll give the tenderizer a shot. Thanks!

(And would that be OK for the Givi windshield as well, or would that fubar it? Stick with lemon Pledge for that?)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've used Dawn, but that didn't seem to get it. It's not sap. It looks like a kind of coarse dust, but it Just Doesn't Want To Come Off. (When I washed with Dawn, lots of dirt came off on the cloth and in the water, but it still looked like "dust" afterwards.) And there are enough flowering plants and trees nearby that I can only assume it's pollen. I'll give the tenderizer a shot. Thanks!

(And would that be OK for the Givi windshield as well, or would that fubar it? Stick with lemon Pledge for that?)
It will work for the plastic windscreen IF the pollen is fully "digested". Meaning a sloppy goo. Then just hit it hard with a hose spray end. You may need two application of the pollen dissolver.
If you have to leave the bike out in this environment you might want to fashion an old t-shirt into a cover for the screen when parked.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Plexus. Expensive, but can be found at most cycle shops. We use it at the shop to remove stickers and sticker goo, finger prints, all manner of other stuff. Works a peach and one can will last you a long while.

·
Registered
304 Posts
"Scrubbing Bubbles" in the bathroom cleaner section..spray it on (white foam) and let it 'soak' for a while..Gently wipe off with old CLEAN cotton sport sock.
This is a great fix for all dried on BUGS etc and is paint and windshield safe. EXTRA baked on stuff may take two applications.
Works great for acrylic or fiberglass RV front ends (and your car) as well. Been using it for 20 years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
you can try new or used dryer sheets. Wet the sheets and lay them on the surface for a few minutes (do not rub the surface with the sheets). Remove sheets and spray clean water onto surface.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I leave a wet towel with dish soap on the area I need cleaned for 30 minutes or so. Usually comes right off when I get back to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts