StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so, I rode through a swarm of bees last month (yes, thre are still bees around here in AZ in early november). Now i have a greasy/waxy mess all over the windscreen. Its abaout time for the bike to have its bi-annual bath, and my regular automotive washing soap won't touch them. it simply smears it around. whats the best stuff to get them off? I am especialy concerned about the windscreen, and dont want to scratch, or miscolor it...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had great luck with this:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hot water and dishsoap on a soft dishcloth for the windscreen (and for your visor).

·
Registered
813 Posts
I got some heavy duty Turtle wax (the stuff is green and pretty thick). That and some elbow grease usually does the trick...

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Plexus

Not only does a fine job of removing bug guts, but also seems to leave a slight waxy surface that makes the cleanup job easier next time (although it may not last for 6 months). Seems to work best in conjunction with microfiber towels, which seem to minimize the picked-up crud scratching the plastic.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The absolute best motorcycle cleaner on the planet is S100. Just work in with your hands on the heavily encrusted areas and rinse. The stuff is magical and wont harm any surfaces and is bio-degradeable.

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
I use S100 on both of my bikes....and swear by it...I also use simple green & an old toothbrush on the chain...

·
Registered
278 Posts
When I worked in a detail shop we used a 50\50 mix of ammonia and water mixed in a spray bottle. We sprayed it on let it sit for a few minutes and then washed the bike. S100 works great too but this is cheaper.

·
Registered
134 Posts
When my windscreen is really caked with bugs I drape a wet kitchen sized towel over it for 20 min. or so to soften them up. I feel it cuts down on fine scratches and swirling due to rubbing to hard. Once I even took it off and soaked it in hot water in the laundry tub, bug guts slide right off.
Once clean I give it a good cleaning with Meguiars #17 clear plastic cleaner followed by #10 clear plastic polish. Works really well and helps to keep new bugs from sticking. Same technique for the front fairing but use an auto wax in place of the Meguiars.

·
Registered
495 Posts
-a good layer of carnuba wax will help in future cleanings
-I then take it off a few times during riding season and soak in the tub before washing it.

·
Administrator
17,239 Posts
Spray on some peroxide, and watch the bugs melt.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I go with the soaking

Wet soapy towel or Foaming cleanser

I do use store bought bug wash windshield washer juice too as I have hard water

LASTLY

Miracle Fiber Cloths

Especially for anything plastic shields and screens but pretty much ever thing

Now pretty cheap at Walmart

·
Registered
51 Posts
What I tend to do is get a towel soak it, then drape it across the front of my wind screen and let it sit there for a while, the bugs suck up the moisture, and then wipe right off. I do this with my helmet as well

Give it a try, or spend some money on some turtle wax bug remover or something along those lines.. I prefer my towel method i am cheap LOL

Jim

·
Registered
574 Posts
The guy that sells Cal-Sci windshields has a great web site and has a formula that I use. He even sends you some in a handy spritz bottle. It's all I use.

2 cups distilled water
2 cups isopropyl alcohol
1/4 cup amonia water---may increase for really buggy situations
1 tsp car wash soap---don't use dishwash liquid!!!!

It works as an all purpose cleaner and is dirt cheap.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Not only does a fine job of removing bug guts, but also seems to leave a slight waxy surface that makes the cleanup job easier next time (although it may not last for 6 months). Seems to work best in conjunction with microfiber towels, which seem to minimize the picked-up crud scratching the plastic.
:thumbup:

Honda Plastic Cleaner and Polish. Great for cleaning chain lube from rims as well. The next clean up goes much smoother since the prior left a carnuba polish. Plexus is the old style HPCP, but not as easy to find.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
What JimDing said; Plexus. Spray it on heavy and let it set for 10-20 minutes and then gently remove with a microfiber towel. Does a nice job of waxing the plastics too.

R

·
0 Posts
Unless you live in the Atacama, sooner or later it will rain. You can leave the bugs on the windshield until you go riding in the rain. They usually get mushy and wash off under the constant pounding by the rain drops.
Some people like to leave them on the bike because it shows that they actually ride the machine beyond the nearest coffee shop.
Other people can't help themselves and MUST remove all dust and debris.

·
Registered
417 Posts
+2 on the plexus.

It keeps stuff from sticking as bad the next time as well. I use it on my helmet, windscreen, and headlight covers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts