StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I'm going to try the lead shot trick to reduce the vibration in my DL650 stock bar as my hands to to sleep and it's a PITA.

So what size shot is better, smaller like #9 or larger like BB...?

Any hint/tricks I should be aware of....? Is it easier to put it in the left side or the right side or does it matter?

Can I put it in all from one side or do I have to tip the bike over both ways and pour it in?

How will I know I have enough in, when it stops running in is it full or should I "jiggle" things around a bit?

Sorry newb here :0)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Maybe you should try some grip puppies before loading down your bike with lead weights. They're cheap, easy to install, and work quite well.

Besides, it's harder to wheelie with lead weights in your handlebars...

:yesnod:

Hi there I'm going to try the lead shot trick to reduce the vibration in my DL650 stock bar as my hands to to sleep and it's a PITA.

So what size shot is better, smaller like #9 or larger like BB...?

Any hint/tricks I should be aware of....? Is it easier to put it in the left side or the right side or does it matter?

Can I put it in all from one side or do I have to tip the bike over both ways and pour it in?

How will I know I have enough in, when it stops running in is it full or should I "jiggle" things around a bit?

Sorry newb here :0)

Thanks!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I put grip pupppies on my ride even before my first ride so I'm onto the next possible fix......

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Maybe you need to consciously make an effort to not grip the bars sop tight?

As far as shot size, it's hit & miss, I would guess at BB size, but don;t think there's any proven formulas.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Lean bike over...........Which side doesn't matter.

Remove bar end weight...........

use a funnel to pour in #7 or #9 lead shot....doesn't matter what size......

Tap the handle bars with a rubber mallet or screw driver handle or use your electric razor, dremel moto-tool or whatever to vibrate the handle bars and settle the lead shot.........pack in as much as you can. You want as close to a solid mass as you can get.

Weight (mass) is your anti-vibration friend.

Grip Puppies "insulate" you from the vibration. Lead stops the vibration........both, together is nirvana!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe need to do a TBS? I've only ridden a 650 once but it was smoother than my

1000, as far as vibes go. anyway, it was just a thought. good luck.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome stuff thanks guys, I tried to purchase some lead shot from a gun store but the plant in Winnepeg shut down so they can't get any, plus we only can use steel shot in CND now for migratory birds. I have some old #5+6 shot shells lying around from when we could use lead on ducks so I'll cut them open and pour that in. I imagine a box (25x 10z/shot) should be enough.

Good idea about the vibration as well, will give it a go as well.

Take care and THANKS!

·
Registered
124 Posts
One box of shells isn't going to cut it. You will only get around 25oz of shot out of that box. That might sound like a lot, but it isn't. I am guessing you will need something closer to ten pounds of shot. I do my own reloading for skeet and a 25 pound bag of shot is a lot smaller than you would think.

I would take the advice of going to a trap or skeet club. They have to have the lead reclaimed every so often to minimize the leeching into the ground water. You should be able to get some from them one way or another.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I did the shot thing before I saw these posts. I got some 7.5 shot and poured it into the bars, very easy. When you bang on the bar it sounds "deadened" compare to a bar that does not have any when you bang on the bar.

I think it helped a bit, but I now need to get some risers for the back pain!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used steel BB's on an FZ6, worked great. I didn't pack them in, left some space at the grips. My thought was that they could vibrate a bit freely at slightly different phases and frequencies inside the bar to reduce the overall amplitude of the vibrations felt at the grips.

I thought packing tight would dampen the vibes but no cancellation would occur...

But maybe packing tight would have been better, don't know didn't try it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts