StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Russel Day Long would be the most comfortable, but because of the tractor seat style it makes standing up difficult so I am not a huge fan of them.

Saddlemen makes a great seat and I have never heard any complaints.

I'm very happy with my Seat Concepts seat, I can do 600 mile/1000km days with ease on it. It's hard to beat for the price, some people find them to firm but I suspect they are just not broken in yet. They take about 3000 miles/5000km to break in and soften up.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am testing the Sargent world performance and shad right now. Sargent comfy but firm, but a little tractor like as Tenny noted.

shad not as comfy but more normal feeling. Both are top quality. Shad fits like a glove

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
I am testing the Sargent world performance and shad right now. Sargent comfy but firm, but a little tractor like as Tenny noted.

shad not as comfy but more normal feeling. Both are top quality. Shad fits like a glove
Ditto. I've had both and went with the Sargent. Mostly because thats what I had on my 650 and my rear seems to like it.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I'm of the opinion that no seat is comfortable after a certain amount of time sitting on it.
I haven't had a high dollar seat so I may be wrong but I won't spend the bucks to find out!

I did get a Seat Concepts seat for my DL-650 and it was a bit more comfy I guess not amazingly so though, butt still got sore after awhile.

I've got the Suzuki high seat on my 2014 DL-1000 and it's fine. Bought it to raise my position up to get a bit more legroom.
Also I've got bar risers. Getting the bike set up for you ergonomically will be more beneficial than just changing the seat IMO.

I find that moving around into different positions is what keeps soreness manageable. Still sitting on a bike all day isn't comfy no matter what, heck I can't sit in my recliner all day either!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Too many variables

I can tell you what the worst seat is - that's the stock one

Pretty much anything else is better... what's best is specific between you and your ass

I have a SC tall and I like it fine but I still get sore after a few hours

·
Registered
33 Posts

Would you say the Shad is an upgrade from stock? I am looking at both but the Shad has a nicer look to it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Would you say the Shad is an upgrade from stock? I am looking at both but the Shad has a nicer look to it.
Yes one thing I notice, however, is that both the sergeant and the shad place the wide part of the seat further back which makes the reach to the handlebars farther and creates its own issues.

I am about to put ion bar backs and see of that not only solves the reach issue but also affects the seat comfort by purring me in the Shad's sweet spot. I will be doing so in the next few weeks and will report back

·
Registered
325 Posts
everyone will have their own opinion on which seat is best for them. I got a near new Sargent seat at a nice price from a member on this forum. The Sargent was a good enough improvement for me in terms of comfort over the factory seat, so I was content to stay with it. Had a Corbin on my last bagger and it worked out well on that bike. Lots of great options out there. Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went with a Sargent seat, just got it. Which seat did you end up getting and how is it working out for you?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Before you spend hundreds trying to find the perfect seat try a "Sit&Fly" cover. Amazingly effective, with the added benefit of keeping your rear dry in the rain and cool when its hot. On our last NEVA nearly every second bike had the cover.

When I got my V2 the first thought was I needed a new seat. I already had the "Sit&Fly" cover from my WEE. Tried it over the stock seat and have ridden with that combo ever since. Many +10h days. Worth trying for about $20.

Search on E-Bay for the "Sit&Fly"

More on this subject: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=38lYXfb4FYmy5wKanb2YCQ&q=sit&fly+stromtrooper&oq=sit&fly+stromtrooper&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160l3.1886.8812..13183...1.0..0.175.2446.10j12......0....1..gws-wiz.....6..0i308i154j0j0i131j0i10j0i30j0i10i30j0i13j0i22i30j0i22i10i30j33i299.YBedubIwSRQ&ved=0ahUKEwi25NHywIvkAhUJ2VkKHZpOD5MQ4dUDCAs&uact=5#spf=1566099946973

·
Registered
4 Posts
Best seat for comfort I've had is Russel Day Long with sunbrella cover. Made it difficult to touch the ground, wasn't crazy about the look.

What I have on my strom is seat concepts with sit-n-fly cover. Works for me in hot weather and 14 hour days in the saddle. A close second to the Russel.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Hard to beat a Sit & Fly cover with a Gel waffle seat pad underneath. ($30) and REALLY comfortable.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Check with Terry Adcox. https://www.terryscustomseats.com/

When I bought mine the regular price was $250. I had it customized to be 1" higher and set back 1" and that added another $50. Because of back and knee operations, I need all the legroom I can get.

At the time, I was having trouble going 75 mi. without stopping. The first time I rode with the Adcox seat, I went 150 mi. without touching the ground. I have a 32" inseam and can, just barely, flat foot. If it weren't for the foot peg placement, I could easily flat foot.

The only drawback with Terry's seat is you have to send him your seat pan. If he has a pan for your bike, you can pay a deposit and keep riding while he builds a seat for you. After you get your new seat, you have a month to return a pan and get a refund of the deposit. That's what I did and it allows you to keep riding while the seat is being built.

Best money I've spent on my bike. Custom fit at a decent price.

KKORO

·
Vendor
4,879 Posts
The very best seat for touring is undoubtedly the Russel day long. It's fugly, but works.

The farther sold his business and later his sons started their own seat businesses. Avoid his sons like a plague. Or at least go in with open eyes open having done your research first.

The Shad Comfort seat is the best all around seat. With riding pants on you can go all week without fatigue. It is an excellent seat, the most popular in Europe. It's my personal choice for my Vee2. We offer it at a discount. It may be the best looking as well. And since it comes with a new seat pan (complete built ready o bolt on) it has more room than teh seat concepts discussed below.

The seat concepts seat is a good option for frugal types. Yes it is on the firmer side, but does break in. It does extend the period before fatigue sets in, but not as well as the Shad Comfort seat. The limitation of the seat concepts seat is the seat pan. You re-use your sock seat pan and Suzuki did not leave enough room for seat concepts to get the shape they want in the space available, so compared to the Shad it feels a little "forward." Where as the Shad feels like you have more room. Still a perfectly good option for smaller to mid size riders.

The Sargent seat is flat. An improvement over stock as far as holding off fatigue, but you never really forget that it is flat.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I snagged the cover on mine in a fall, so I tore it off and re-shaped the foam a bit. I took off the harsh corners that were getting the backs of my thighs and took some out of the step up. It only cost me the new covering and is a huge improvement.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Before you spend hundreds trying to find the perfect seat try a "Sit&Fly" cover. Amazingly effective, with the added benefit of keeping your rear dry in the rain and cool when its hot. On our last NEVA nearly every second bike had the cover.

When I got my V2 the first thought was I needed a new seat. I already had the "Sit&Fly" cover from my WEE. Tried it over the stock seat and have ridden with that combo ever since. Many +10h days. Worth trying for about $20.

Search on E-Bay for the "Sit&Fly"

More on this subject: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=38lYXfb4FYmy5wKanb2YCQ&q=sit&fly+stromtrooper&oq=sit&fly+stromtrooper&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160l3.1886.8812..13183...1.0..0.175.2446.10j12......0....1..gws-wiz.....6..0i308i154j0j0i131j0i10j0i30j0i10i30j0i13j0i22i30j0i22i10i30j33i299.YBedubIwSRQ&ved=0ahUKEwi25NHywIvkAhUJ2VkKHZpOD5MQ4dUDCAs&uact=5#spf=1566099946973
I've been riding on my Sit&Fly for about 2 weeks now. It really does seem to do the trick. Worth the $20+. I learned about it at NEVA too.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Sit&Fly:

Sit&Fly:

That material is very tough and it will marr painted surfaces it gets in contact with. Put some protective film over the back of your tank (and other effected areas)!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I just use a sheepskin cover that I made from an old sheepskin "rug" we had in front of the fireplace. Very comfy for me. I have a stock gel seat on my '06 Strom 1000. If the OP is in the Northwest, I have some extra material you can have. Just come and get it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts