StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, wonder how to connect tomtom cable to the battery, si there a good way under the tank or something like that to do that?
or maybe connect it to 12V outlet if there is a way to get under? My gps doesn't have a inline fuse so maybe it's better idea then direct connection to battery.
I've read somewhere here there is spare accessory power plug but nit sure how easy is to get to it, don't want to remove the tank.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,188 Posts
Depending on year and model, a favorite place to pick up SWITCHED power is the factory heated grip plug. This turns off and on with the ignition which is good. You would still want an inline fuse for the gps. Do a search in the Google custom search box at the top of the pages for your model and factory heated grip plug....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending on year and model, a favorite place to pick up SWITCHED power is the factory heated grip plug. This turns off and on with the ignition which is good. You would still want an inline fuse for the gps. Do a search in the Google custom search box at the top of the pages for your model and factory heated grip plug....
thanks, I think I found it, question though can I buy such connector to plug into oem or improvisation is needed?

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
Officially interested. I am planning to order other stuff from EB soon and would definitely order an adapter for the factory heated grip wiring if they had one.

I have terrible, not-very-warm heated grips that are wired into the factory heated grips connector. They may be the official Suzuki ones - not sure, PO installed them. I'm planning to replace them with Oxford Heaterz this winter.

It would be nice if I could plug the Oxfords into the existing power plug. The Heaterz draw no more than 4A, which IIRC is same spec as the "official" heated grips. I'm running out of room under/around the tank and inside fairing, so would rather avoid yet another wiring run back to the battery, if possible.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
There is no reason to not wire a GPS directly to the battery (with a fuse inline.) Many people (myself included ) find switched power for the GPS annoying as often you want to use it once stopped and don't want to STOP it from auto-shutdown.

I have never had an issue with the bike battery going dead on the odd time I have left ant of my Martin's on overnight.

As far as routing the cables you can run them down under the left side of the tank and get it mainly hidden without lifting the tank. You will want to undo the front part of the rear side panel that attaches to the rear of the tank so you can tuck in the cable there.

..Tom

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
The horn is another easy place to get a switched power source.

a piggyback spade terminal is all you need.

I prefer my GPS have a direct to the battery connection but that is only personal preference.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
found it, on new v-stroms there is a plug taped to the loom on the left side, near the horn.
Detached the plug and just ordered connector to plug my gps into. Nice!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm just waiting on the solder sleeves in today's mail, then I'm hooking up my Zumo 396 I just got as part of that sale. So far, it seems good. I'm going to use a two pole SAE connector and attach it to the Battery Tender pigtail. I don't really want a switched setup as I am sure I'll be taking the GPS with me or putting it in the luggage if I'm stopped for any length of time. When I get back to my garage, the Battery Tender will replace the GPS, so I'm feeling pretty good about it not killing my battery. The Garmin wiring setup has a fuse inline on the hot lead already.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
I'm surprised there isn't a setting on the newer GPS units to delay/cancel auto-shutdown when power goes off. I was planning on using the aux circuit with an EB connector. I'll go dive into the Garmin 396 docs now.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
I'm surprised there isn't a setting on the newer GPS units to delay/cancel auto-shutdown when power goes off. I was planning on using the aux circuit with an EB connector. I'll go dive into the Garmin 396 docs now.
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but when power is disconnected from my Zumo 660 and 590 it starts counting down from 10 or 15 seconds (not sure of the time) before it shuts down and in that time you can cancel the shutdown.

I would be surprised if the 396 doesn't do the same.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but when power is disconnected from my Zumo 660 and 590 it starts counting down from 10 or 15 seconds (not sure of the time) before it shuts down and in that time you can cancel the shutdown.

I would be surprised if the 396 doesn't do the same.

..Tom
I recently purchased the Zumo 396 and run it off the switched heated grips connector. It behaves as you describe for the 660 & 590 when power is switched off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts