StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All

My warm weather gloves (Olympia 360 Road Warrior, $45ish) have served me well for over two years and 25,000 miles... but they have finally deteriorated. I'm about to order another pair of the same, but I thought that it would be a good idea to see if there is another option that someone feels to be the best riding glove on Earth. I have cold weather gloves that only get used occasionally (I'm in So. Cal.), so I'm not looking for very much insulation in this pair. I would like great protection to my hands (I'm a guitarist) and all day comfort.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Scott

·
Registered
275 Posts
I really like the "Elk Skin Ropers" from Aerostich. I use the short "wrist length" ones, but I think there is a Gauntlet model also. Very comfortable for my 3 season riding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use Joe Rocket Supermoto leather gloves with hard plastic vented knuckles and extra leather padding on the fingers. It's a comfortable shorty glove with decent protection.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I had the Lee Parks and liked them, but now have the Aerostich competition elkskin ropers and love them. :thumbup: More substantial without too much sacrifice in dexterity. Sizing using the catalog scale is spot on. Wickedly ugly color at first.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
gloves

My favourite summer gloves have traveled about 70,000km and are still serviceable. "Surge Extrication" gloves have some kevlar and stainless wire, stretchy fabric with a tight cuff, windproof and machine washable. Cheap for about $35 at safety supply store usually sold to firefighters or para-medics to protect their hands at accident scenes.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Held Steves. $160 and worth it. Once you wear them you won't be without them.

After a 40mph pavement slide.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
OK, now for the low budget low tech solution, I buy Wells Lamont Deer Skin unlined gloves from our local farm and ranch supply. They run about $20 a pair. Great for our mild Southern Oregon winters (with grip heaters) and light enough for almost year round wear. I've gone off the bike twice with 'em on, and they've given good protection and held together. Deer Skin is great, wet or dry, gets better with age. Get the Wells Lamont though, not a cheaper off name brand. I noticed the other night while going through the Big R store here, they have em lined too, about $10 more, but if it's cold enough to wear a lined glove, I'd look for a gauntlet, keep the wind out of my sleeves.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
here in San Francisco

Hi, All

My warm weather gloves (Olympia 360 Road Warrior, $45ish) have served me well for over two years and 25,000 miles... but they have finally deteriorated. I'm about to order another pair of the same, but I thought that it would be a good idea to see if there is another option that someone feels to be the best riding glove on Earth. I have cold weather gloves that only get used occasionally (I'm in So. Cal.), so I'm not looking for very much insulation in this pair. I would like great protection to my hands (I'm a guitarist) and all day comfort.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Scott
some of use use HELIMOT gloves, real leather, made locally

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have to agree with others, the Aerostitch elkskin ropers are hard to beat. They have been through 3 years of moderate use, including heavy rain, and still look and feel like new. They mold to your hand and feel like nothing and just the right thickness for late spring to fall riding.

Just purchased a pair of the gauntlet version for my wife and I like them even more. The addition of memory foam over the knuckles and the additional wrist protection are worth the extra money.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The best riding gloves on Earth are made my Rev-it! (That's their exclamation-point, not mine.) I have a pair of gloves for Summer and a pair for Winter. Their H20 waterproof gloves are just plain incredible in the wet and cold. What I really like are the Velcro closures. You can cinch them snugly and not run out of the other side of the Velcro. They run a little bit on the expensive side $90-$130 and its would be a hard sell to get me to try anything else.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any direct experience with the Rev'it Monster gloves for summer?

I don't have any local access to checking these out in person...look interesting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not sure they make them anymore but I love my Tourmaster Aramid gloves. They move a lot of air and the leather is very good quality. A quick Google showed some on Ebay but they may be used or NOS.

·
Premium Member
4,182 Posts
I like the looks of the Icon Overlord long gloves ($150). Kangaroo palm is supposed to be very comfortable and durable. Sticky on the grips. I haven't bought a pair of these yet though. Hoping for a sale someplace.

Icon Overlord Long Gloves - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

You only have one pair of hands. Are you seriously going to spend $20 on a pair of gloves to protect them?

Get the best gloves you can afford. Hard armor can take a whack without bones crunching underneath.

A friend bought himself a pair of these KNOX Biomech gloves recently. Said they are really great.

Knox Biomech Hand Armor Gloves - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

·
Registered
302 Posts
Up until recently, I would have said that the Helds are the best. I've had my current pair of Held Phantoms for three years, and they're a great glove. Then I got a pair of custom-made deerskin gloves from Helimot.

https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=9&cat=1+-+Motorcycle+Gloves

They don't have any flashy carbon fiber or titanium inserts, but there's just simply no comparison in build quality, fit, and the protection is on par with any glove out there. Lots of AMA pro's swear by the protection they afford. They're custom-made to your hand tracing (or actual measurements if you can make it in to the showroom), and are of a grade of leather you simply don't see in any off the shelf glove. My Held Phantoms now sit collecting dust even though they're still perfectly serviceable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts