StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
It took me years to undo my old habits I learned in the 70's. Here is the gospel that every rider should review.
Ken Hill & Nick Ienatsch Motorcycle Riding Seminar - YouTube
Thanks for sharing. I think some of these techniques we learn over time on the bike but great highlights. BTW, fun to hear the name Scott Russell. I remember being enamoured with his riding career back in the late 80's early 90's riding for Team Muzzy. Seen him race GP at Laguna Seca a few times as well as AMA 750s. Great racing legacy. Happy to hear he is instructing on racing/riding techniques.

·
Vinegarjoe
64 Posts
best riding advice...

Thanks for the post. Regarding smooth throttle decrease to tighten turn radius, assuming you have risk (or traction %) points available, does this technique supersede using acceleration to force the bike into a tighter line ?:confused:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the post. Regarding smooth throttle decrease to tighten turn radius, assuming you have risk (or traction %) points available, does this technique supersede using acceleration to force the bike into a tighter line ?:confused:
I have watched a few too many bikes wadded up on the track due to applying power too soon in a turn.

·
Registered
831 Posts
There were some nuggets of wisdom in the Hill/Ienatsch video, without doubt. There was a clear infomercial dynamic in their interplay, too. This was distracting. It was likely a consequence of the seminar environment and, by extension, the perceived need to simplify (dilute) their experience so that all might have a chance to understand the data. I have an original, yellowed copy of "The Pace", so I know that Nick's place in the top tier is earned.

I hope that any tuition-based pro training courses in which I enroll have instructors with more tightly focused and higher level presentation skills. I would expect this to be so.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Regarding smooth throttle decrease to tighten turn radius, assuming you have risk (or traction %) points available, does this technique supersede using acceleration to force the bike into a tighter line ?
Tighter line? My experience has always been that decreasing throttle tends to make the bike "dive in" to a corner, while adding throttle makes the bike want to "stand up" and increase the radius. Maybe I'm just dyslexic.:mrgreen:

But it's easy enough to test for yourself.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Finally!

This is so satisfying to me! For years I've the heretic dragging some brake through a turn. Now? I'm a visionary! All kidding aside, this really works, but requires some serious practice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The keith code school seems to be almost totally backward to a lot of what these guys are saying, and in my opinion more logical. After all the twist of the wrist 2 video is awfully clear..

·
Registered
202 Posts
back to the workshop

Thanks for sharing. I have always been so proud when I pop it upright to brake then lean again to turn. I've got to relearn!!
Fortunately, I have plenty of riding time to practice and the lesson is easy to understand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is a really good refresher... A lot of the times we let loose and let a lot of the training we get go..
Thanks for the refresher though!

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Tighter line? My experience has always been that decreasing throttle tends to make the bike "dive in" to a corner, while adding throttle makes the bike want to "stand up" and increase the radius. Maybe I'm just dyslexic.:mrgreen:

But it's easy enough to test for yourself.
+1 on that. Try riding in a tight circle and increase throttle and see what happens. Bigger circle.

RR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts