StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was driving back yesterday from Lock Haven to Oleans on road 120 in some pretty bad rain and started thinking about where a SPOT unit should really be located.

Road 120 had some pretty desolate spots, and I starting wondering what would happen if I went down, off the bike and ended up in a ditch with a broken arm or leg, or worse (i know this is a "what if" scenario, but it still has to be considered)

If the SPOT is on the handlebars, how am I going to get to it? Should the SPOT be in my pocket instead?

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I like the handle bars as I had a bruise shaped like my spot the last time I put my bike down.
Mike

·
Registered
302 Posts
Should the SPOT be in my pocket instead?
Do you use it in tracking mode? If so, then the pocket isn't a very good place, as it's not oriented in a way where the antenna will get any signal out. There's really not a good solution IMO. The SPOT is very particular about positioning. In order to get good results with tracking it has to be mounted somewhere on the bike far enough away from you so your "shadow" isn't shielding it, and so that the SPOT logo is pointing toward the sky. This obviously means that if you get separated from the bike you won't be able to reach it. The only place I can think of where it would get good reception for tracking and still be on your person would be to mount it to the top of the helmet, which I don't recommend for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you really wanted to cover all possibilities, maybe have it velcroed into the cockpit with a leash that's attached to you or your on-peron gear... that way it gets oriented, and still stays attached to you if you have a get-off and are injured and not ON the bike.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just a couple more thoughts --

You might want to search for this over on ADVrider. There have been many discussions over there on the SPOT and how to mount it for optimal performance.

The best place I've found for carrying it on me is in an outer pocket of a Camelbak. It still doesn't provide as good tracking performance as having it oriented properly in a tail bag, but it's far better than in a jacket or pants pocket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts