StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out my 2009 DL 650 may need a CONTROL UNIT. Was hoping it was just the TPS but after replacing that I still can not get my cycle to start and run (new battery, water pump, rear tire, chain, sprockets, TPS) and now looking at $900 for a new control unit(Babbittsonline,com) Having a hard time finding the right one on e-bay. Either the right year or part number 32920-27GC1/27GC0. Any ideas where to look?

Bike has 48k on it, I live in Wisconsin. Not sure if that is a lot of miles and if I should look at a new bike, but I had my 94 GS500E for 15 years. Not really looking for a new bike for another 5 years or so.

·
Administrator
6,168 Posts
I'm not sure that I would be wanting to replace the ECU as a guess at what might be the problem.
How about sharing more details with us of what your bikes issues are? The more information you provide the more likely you are to get helpful advice.
Does "start and run" mean that you cannot get it to turn over? What did you do to the bike prior to the failure? Why do you think it might be the ECU?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Vinny, as Brockie posted, more in depth detail required on what is taking place when your bike does not want to start or run.
Some examples:
1) starting out with do the gauges sweep. If not are the fuses and battery OK? Fuel pump starting up.
2) does starter turn? If not, have you checked the clutch switch connection, side stand down while in gear, cutout switch or is there a FI message display?
3) starter turns but does not fire. Have you tried opening the throttle to allow more fuel.
4) have you pulled the spark plugs to read the electrode color (black / grey / wet / dry / correct gap/ if spark / etc) and record from which cylinder the plug reading.

Sorry if this is sound insulting, but I'm just trying to cover all the basics. A process of elimination.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
There have been very few ECU failures reported on these bikes. Not saying it's impossible but there are a lot of things should be checked first.

Connectors on the other hand have been a real source of grief as have lose wires in the switch blocks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts