StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeking advise on the best place to put my Oxford heated grip controller. It came with a bracket to clamp into the mirror clamp, but I have the Barkbuster hardguard clamp beside the mirror and it won't fit. I currently have it screwed into the top of my Barkbuster bracket (see attached), but don't like that solution. Do any of you experts have a better suggestion?

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
I also could not use the standard bracket due to the use of hippo hands (and I refuse to give them up). For a while I used Loctite brand adhesive tape to mount the oxford controller to the top of the clutch reservoir. This was not ideal, as I had to feel for it underneath the hippo hand to adjust the heat, plus I could not see the indicator lights (even with hippo hand removed it was angled away). But now I think I have found a better solution. I ordered one of these Navitech cases dirt cheap:

Amazon.com: Navitech Cycle / Bike / Bicycle Sports Waterproof holder mount and case for Smart Phones Mobiles & Cell phones Including The Blackberry torch 9800, Blackberry pearl, Blackberry bold 9700+9000, Blackberry curve, Blackberry curve 9800, Blac

The bar clamp turned out to be different and actually preferred to the amazon photo. It is not as sturdy as a RAM product, but sturdy enough. The zipper is very tough. It is the perfect size to hold the oxford controller, plus a Clicker brand garage door opener, using the included foam spacer to make it all snug. The controller is positioned closer to me, with the cable exiting in between the two zipper pulls. I wish I could show a photo but I am out of town this week. Additionally I ordered a similar Navitech case only a little bigger for my iPhone (an iPhone4 encased in an Otterbox Defender will not fit, and that is how I know the zipper is very tough). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm away from my bike, but I think I used the small bolt that holds the cable guide to the upper triple clamp on the right side and bent the small bracket to where it seemed best.
I like yours, but I have Richland Rick's aux plate installed and there isn't enough space to attach the plate there.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
I think I have the same set-up as you do "C".........Oxford's + Barkbusters. I'm at work, but I believe my controller is mounted in front of the BB Clamp (somehow) and lower, than your pic shows. I'll look tonight and hollar back. I like the left handed operation side of the bike for my controller........just me. I do find it hard to use with gloves on.......the buttons do not want to engage.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use Oxfords, but didn't like the cumbersome controller so I made my own PWM controller. The actual controller is tucked away under the fairing. The knob to the right of the cruise control switch controls the heat.

Ron :mrgreen:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I installed a set of Oxford heated grips this past weekend. After a lot of head scratching, I came up with the idea of using one of these (available at Home Depot) to mount the controller:

I used 3M Dual Lock (similar to Velcro) to attach the controller to the bracket. Using the adhesive pad Oxford supplies or dual-sided foam tape would work fine, but I like the option of being able remove the controller easily when I need to futz with the wiring. The bracket (Simpson Strong-Tie A21) is narrower than the controller, but that wasn't a problem. The position where the controller needed to be to allow the wire to clear the handlebar support resulted in the buttons on the controller being centered over the bracket. Consequently, there's no prying action between the bracket and the controller when pushing the buttons.

One of the predrilled holes in the shorter leg of the bracket was in almost exactly the right place. I just needed to ream it out a millimeter or so to make the bracket fit perfectly between the wire cable guide and the steering stem head. It's quite solid. A bonus is that the Simpson bracket is galvanized, so it won't rust.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I straightened out the bracket that came with the grips and mounted it to the mirror clamp. Straightening it brought it up a bit. I can't tell from your picture if this approach would work on your bike with the Barkbusters but it is worth a look.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I also could not use the standard bracket due to the use of hippo hands (and I refuse to give them up). For a while I used Loctite brand adhesive tape to mount the oxford controller to the top of the clutch reservoir. This was not ideal, as I had to feel for it underneath the hippo hand to adjust the heat, plus I could not see the indicator lights (even with hippo hand removed it was angled away). But now I think I have found a better solution. I ordered one of these Navitech cases dirt cheap:

Amazon.com: Navitech Cycle / Bike / Bicycle Sports Waterproof holder mount and case for Smart Phones Mobiles & Cell phones Including The Blackberry torch 9800, Blackberry pearl, Blackberry bold 9700+9000, Blackberry curve, Blackberry curve 9800, Blac

The bar clamp turned out to be different from and actually preferred to the amazon photo. It is not as sturdy as a RAM product, but sturdy enough. The zipper is very tough. It is the perfect size to hold the oxford controller, plus a Clicker brand garage door opener, using the included foam spacer to make it all snug. The controller is positioned closer to me, with the cable exiting in between the two zipper pulls. I wish I could show a photo but I am out of town this week. Additionally I ordered a similar Navitech case only a little bigger for my iPhone (an iPhone4 encased in an Otterbox Defender will not fit, and that is how I know the zipper is very tough). Hope this helps.
The second case which I thought would be larger actually turned out to be the same model. It fits the iphone4 like a glove, but with no room for another protective case around the phone or for anything connected to the headphone jack (use stereo bluetooth with the iphone4). The attached photo shows how I use both cases to hold my oxford controller, my garage clicker, and my iphone4. They don't actually obscure the gauges from a seated position. I am happy with these cases.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts