StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install a 12v socket but don't want to cut into plastic, any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
15,410 Posts
I tie-wrapped mine to the left support loop for the clutch cable. seems secure and I poked no new holes.
I would recommend getting a water proof outlet though. Something from a boat supply perhaps, the ones from the auto store get a bit funky and rusty in short order.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What do you need it for, i.e., where do you need it to be?

I have a Powerlet socket mounted on a Richland Rick aux panel like what DougP linked to. (edit: here's another thread on Rick's shelf). I use it to power a Garmin 60csx or my iPhone on the dash. I also have a Powerlet socket mounted on the left rear passenger peg using an Eastern Beaver mount. I use that one to plug my battery tender into, and to power my heated jacket. Jim at Eastern Beaver actually has several different types of brackets you can use to mount a power socket without having to cut anything.

·
Registered
100 Posts
12V outlet

I tie-wrapped mine to the left support loop for the clutch cable. seems secure and I poked no new holes.
I would recommend getting a water proof outlet though. Something from a boat supply perhaps, the ones from the auto store get a bit funky and rusty in short order.
Some of the Yamaha ATVs use a pretty nice automotive style outlet with what appears to be stainless inside. You'll have to replace the connector at the end though. Part# 1HP-H254b-00-00 and retails for $14.56 (2/2012)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wanted something simple, so I wired mine from the switched connector behind the radiator (the one that everyone talks about) and used a hose clamp (one of those 1/2 wide metal bands with the screw that slowly tightens the band) to secure the lighter socket to a mounting point inside the front left cowl (took off the front left plastics to get to it, but may not have needed to do that).
No cutting, nothing that will leave a mark, etc.
And it's somewhat protected from weather (rain).

·
Registered
45 Posts
What I did was order a 12v from Eastern Beaver, connected it to the battery with fuse. I then ran the wire as per the instructions. Just followed the other wiring up to the handle bars. I inserted the 12 plug in the wire holder that holds the brake cable. Fits Perfectly - simple cheap and looks like it came that way from the factory

·
Administrator
17,218 Posts
Cut into the plastic, not a big deal. Measure twice and drill once........

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
I have mine bolted to the clutch cable stay on the triple tree.

Remove the existing bolt holding the stay on, replace it with a longer bolt and spacer, and attach the cig outlet to that using a metal wire loom to wrap around the cig outlet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I bought one with the spring loaded, flip open top from my local auto parts store. I have mine mounted on my accessory shelf, on the Left hand side. In the middle is my radar detector, and on the right is where I mount my phone/GPS. I made it so I can replace it quickly if I need to. I used the plug in style connecors that can be accessed if you take off your windscreen, and used a super heavy duty velro to hold it in place. The cord just lays behind that stuff, out of the way. I am going to buy and extra cord and try to shorten it specifically for the Strom though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm thinking of using two 12v sockets now, have a trip coming up and want to charge gps and phone. Is the wiring the same? (do you splice second socket into wire to battery with larger fuse, or will a dual socket adapter work off of a single 12v socket well?)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Mine is tie strapped to the handlebar between the riser mount and the Brake Resevoir.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts