StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I did a search. I was really looking for the weight of the Touratech Panniers then I got to thinking which ones are best. I did a search for panniers site:stromtrooper.com but didn't find what I was looking for.

Sooooooooooooooo

What is your favorite pannier and why?

Just to frame this a bit I went ahead and put on some 22 MM ammo boxes. Though I like the storage the weight sucks. The bike handles like a tank which is fitting considering the boxes.

:D

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I don't know which is best, but I'm very happy with my Givis. I have E21's (small, but great for daily commute) and E36's (big enough for carrying lotsa stuff) for the 'Strom, along with the E460N top box. My Connie has the stock OEM luggage, which I don't like near as well as the Givi's.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I really like my Pelican 1440 top loaders. I think they are about 36L and since they have a flat top you can secure more things there. Once you strip away the unneeded hardware they are about 10lb's each.

They are also very rugged as I can recently attest to;)

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have had touratech zegas on my tengai for 17 years and really like them but they are wide.

I put Jesse's on my vee and they are also of very high quality.

I had a set of Happy Trails on a klr and they are good bags but not quite up to the quality standards of the other two.

·
0 Posts
My Touratech 41liter Panniers are LIGHT(aluminum), framework is very stout, and I can pack a TON!!!

Just get what you pay for...I'm just sayin...
BTD.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am partial to the Trax bags.. just recently put a pair on the wife's Strom and grabbed a set to put on mine but don't have appropriate racks yet.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I am partial to the Trax bags.. just recently put a pair on the wife's Strom and grabbed a set to put on mine but don't have appropriate racks yet.

LOL!! I mean absolutely NO disrepect towards the (I'm sure) lovely woman sitting on the Wee, but my dial-up internet loads pictures verrrry slowly so for a few minuntes all I got was the top half of the first picture, just her back and the top of the trunk box. It was, ummm...very unflattering. Try framing it that way and see.;) Nice saddle bags, though.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
+1 for Happy-Trails. I really like them, and for $599 for the entire KIT (mounting rack and 2 Teton bags) the price is hard to beat.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My Touratech 41liter Panniers are LIGHT(aluminum), framework is very stout, and I can pack a TON!!!

Just get what you pay for...I'm just sayin...
BTD.
+1 They are spendy, but they really are top notch quality. I've crashed mine more times than I can count and they still are going strong. I couldn't say that if I had plastic boxes on there.

·
Registered
651 Posts
When the trax first came out someone from adv bought a set and when washing his bike found out that they leaked. Not just a drop or two either.

I'm not sure if this issue has been addressed yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jeese's.......... very narrow I haven't loaded them up yet you can tell they will hold a ton of stuff. I think it's one of those things that it's better to have more storage than actaully needed.

Quality is oustanding and they look very cool on the bike. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just got done researching different luggage options. My findings are the following:

Aluminum: I looked at all of them, most were too expensive. I considered the happy trails and the klr650 boxes. Klr650 boxes never seem to be in stock.
Pro: Hold alot, look great, top loading, light weight
Con: Bend in event of a crash, expensive to replace to get nice looks again. Expensive start-up cost.

Givi: I wanted a large volume so all of the cases I looked at were the clamshell type.
Pro: Good price for racks and not bad for boxes. Single key would be awsome.
Con: I don't see how these would hold up very well in a crash. I've read the givi racks bend or case breaks.

Pelican 1440:
Pro: Cost, unbreakable, top loading
Con: makes the bike too wide for me. (44") I also wanted more room (34L)

Ammo Cans:
Pro: Cost & durability
Con: Weight, at 21lbs each, I just couldn't do it.

Pelican 1550: I considered these but I wanted just a little more room(35L).
Pro: Cheap, strong
Con: side loading, not as big as I wanted, side loading (liner bags make this a mute point)

SKB 3I-2015-7: This is what I chose. Caseclub has free shipping on these right now.
Pro: Cheap, strong, large (40L)
Con: Side loading (I will be using liner bags)

These are my opinions after much research. My stuff is being delivered right now so hopefully I am happy with my choices.
I am planning on installing cam locks in my SKB boxes. With most other options, you had to use padlocks, which I didn't like.

·
Registered
476 Posts
When the trax first came out someone from adv bought a set and when washing his bike found out that they leaked. Not just a drop or two either.

I'm not sure if this issue has been addressed yet.

Yup they were replaced and there was no more issue afaik.
If I recall correctly the ones that leaked were from a very early production run and the later ones don't leak.

I do know the wife has no issue with leaking with hers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts