StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a little quiet around here lately, so I thought I would start this thread. Looking for some ideas next year.

What was the best 1-2 day trip you have done in Canada?

·
Registered
64 Posts
A friend and did an overnight trip up around the Bancroft area. Met up with a friend of his and he took us on an awesome ride around there. Stayed overnight at his place an took the rest of the next day wandering around on the way home.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I went around Georgian Bay

The trip around Georgian Bay offers a fine mixture of scenery, surfaces, and people. The ride up Highway 6 to Tobermory is delightful, and you can take side trips to Lion's Head and other rustic hamlets.

The ferry to South Baymouth on Manitoulin is a treat, because it goes mainly through shallow water, and the bottom has some interesting features that you can sometimes actually see. When you get to Manitoulin, you may think you have reached an earlier century, and in some ways you have, and it ain't always the 20th I mean.

You can scoot around Manitoulin and examine it thoroughly or just explore a bit of it; next time you see it, not much will have changed. Then you ride back to the mainland and clockwise around the rest of the bay. I haven't traveled this recently, but I remember the roads were good and full of curves. Don't miss the south shore of the bay. I rode from Collingwood to Owen Sound last year, and it was a fine ride on good roads, with pleasant views you won't see in Greater Metropolitan Guelph.

You could complete the ride in a day if you wanted to, but then it would be a test of endurance instead of a treat. Take your time, and take someone with you to share costs and swap lies with.

Happy trails!
Keith

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
Look at the roads running east from the area around Parry Sound..There's a sportbike rally, or there used to be that was based near there...ride through magnetewan.....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keith,

I have to agree with you about Tobermory. We go camping up there every summer. Last year I had a great day with Steve (PV Wheeler) touring the back roads around Wiarton.

My daughter and I also had the chance to take a ride on the Chi-Cheemaun and tour around Manitoulin Island. It's a great place to spend a few days.

Attachments

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
It's been a little quiet around here lately, so I thought I would start this thread. Looking for some ideas next year.

What was the best 1-2 day trip you have done in Canada?
I did a couple of multi-day trips to Toronto twenty or so years ago. Nude dancing :thumbup:, though they didn't serve beer on sight...oh, did you mean on a motorcycle? Never mind.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Wilberforce! The riding around the area is fantastic and Tom's brother runs a great place to stay overnight.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Good one!

The trip around Georgian Bay offers a fine mixture of scenery, surfaces, and people. The ride up Highway 6 to Tobermory is delightful, and you can take side trips to Lion's Head and other rustic hamlets.

The ferry to South Baymouth on Manitoulin is a treat, because it goes mainly through shallow water, and the bottom has some interesting features that you can sometimes actually see. When you get to Manitoulin, you may think you have reached an earlier century, and in some ways you have, and it ain't always the 20th I mean.

You can scoot around Manitoulin and examine it thoroughly or just explore a bit of it; next time you see it, not much will have changed. Then you ride back to the mainland and clockwise around the rest of the bay. I haven't traveled this recently, but I remember the roads were good and full of curves. Don't miss the south shore of the bay. I rode from Collingwood to Owen Sound last year, and it was a fine ride on good roads, with pleasant views you won't see in Greater Metropolitan Guelph.

You could complete the ride in a day if you wanted to, but then it would be a test of endurance instead of a treat. Take your time, and take someone with you to share costs and swap lies with.

Happy trails!
Keith
Ditto! Only mine was in reverse from the Niagara Peninsula via Barrie and Sudbury a few years back on the trusty Beemer. Overnighted in Parry Sound then took the 518 to 11 to the TCH at North Bay. Excellent ride.

·
Registered
984 Posts
awesome!

Wilberforce! The riding around the area is fantastic and Tom's brother runs a great place to stay overnight.
Hey, thanks for reminding me of that map of Ontario's best bike roads. Hankerin' to get up into Ontario with some of my riding buds from down here this summer.

·
Registered
965 Posts
9 yr old daughter and I riding/camping to Campbell River BC and fly fishing.

intercom allowed for constant conversation and pointing things out. Hooked several dozed salmon and landed 3. Cooked a 6lb'er on the campfire for supper.

Incredible trip they we'll never forget. :hurray:

DSCF2177.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Perhaps you can find this Atlas.

Ontario Road Atlas by Map Art
Mapart Publishing - Online Source for Maps, Atlases, Wall Maps & Street Guides

In either 2010 or 2011, I bought this atlas, 2008 edition,
for about $7 at Canadian Tire. I consider myself lucky.

This helpful volume added significant pleasure to a ride I took through
Western Ontario last summer. I think you should consider purchasing
one, even if you need to pay full price ($20 or $30 depending on source).

The level of detail is ideal for my purposes. Having this atlas with me more
than compensates for the lack of immediate access to Google Maps.

For an illustration of this book's prowess, ask Google for a route from
Kintore ON to Tavistock ON. If you zoom in a tad, you may see that
25th line may be a more interesting northwesterly route than Google's
suggested selection of 37th line. The Ontario Road Atlas made it clear
to me that 25th line would likely present the most interesting scenery
for this tiny leg of an interesting two-day ride.

That ride was Toronto-Barrie-Collingwood-Southampton-Goderich
followed by visits to scattered little towns for nostalgic reasons,
and eventually Cambridge-Brampton-Toronto. The atlas was an
invaluable help every step of the way. I have the corresponding
atlas for Florida, but the Ontario Atlas is superior in every way.

I guess this resembles a testimonial for a commercial. So be it.

Keith

·
Registered
313 Posts
The best overnight trip I have done on my bike lately was right here in my home province of Nova Scotia.
Last August I left home early on a Saturday morning and headed down the Eastern Shore to Cape Breton.I crossed Country Harbour on the cable ferry on the way.I then continued along the east side of the Cabot Trail heading north to Meat Cove stopping for a short visit with some friends in North River. I set up camp and spent a quiet night in Meat Cove.
The next morning I was up early and with a freshly brewed coffee I had the privilege of watching a large flock of gannets diving for their breakfast. I have lived my whole life in this seaside province and never experienced this sight before.Let me tell you with the mountains and ocean in the background it beat the hell out of breakfast TV.
I packed up early and backtracked to the entrance to the Highland Road system at Wreck Cove. The Highland Road is a little known dirt road system that runs through the interior of Cape Breton with exits/entrances at Wreck Cove,Cheticamp,Margaree etc.Almost like a little taste of the Trans Lab.
While up there I found my way to Cape Clear for the first time...a must see.From there I made my way back to pavement and on to my cottage in Mooseland.
Here are some pictures of the trip:

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Here are some more of Cape Clear:
The river is the north east tributary of the renowned Margaree River...one of the best salmon rivers in NS.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Foymount

Find you way to Foymount in the highlands. Don't miss Letterkenny Road.

·
Registered
711 Posts
We like taking a run from the GTA down to Pelee island. To keep this to one night, take 401 to below London, cut over to Rondeau Provincial Park area on Lake Erie and follow lake around to Point Pelee (either camp at the park or stay at a bed and breakfast...we like the wedding house in nearby Kingsville). Take first ferry from Leamington to Pelee Island the next morning. It does not take long to drive around the island, the roads are part paved and part gravel so take your time, stop frequently, nice local bakeshops, lighthouse etc....final stop for lunch at the winery pavillion. Meat etc is supplied and you bbq this yourself, often live music onsite. Wine available for sale (but for bikers, unless you are staying an extra night best to keep this to a minimum). There are also some bed and breakfasts on the island, bathing beaches etc.

·
Registered
588 Posts
9 yr old daughter and I riding/camping to Campbell River BC and fly fishing.

intercom allowed for constant conversation and pointing things out. Hooked several dozed salmon and landed 3. Cooked a 6lb'er on the campfire for supper.

Incredible trip they we'll never forget. :hurray:

View attachment 17159
I visited Campbell River 20+ years ago and loved it! Beautiful part of the world.:thumbup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Find you way to Foymount in the highlands. Don't miss Letterkenny Road.
Yes some awesome roads all around the Foymount area and its not days away. A nice loop I did last year was North Bay , Marten River, New Liskard across to Quebec, down to Temiskeming , across river , to Mattawa on ( 533 ?) , a bity bumpy but an awesome piece of road ) and then to Pembroke. Next day Pembroke to home through the Foymount area.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I live in Prince george BC about 500 miles north of Vancouver, so doing a two day trip and getting home requires some serious riding time, My best so far was ride East to Jasper Alberta, then South to the Banff/ Lake Louise area, then take hwy 93 over the hills to Radium, then North back to hwy 1 at Golden,,,get a motel and rest up. In the Morning ride West thru the passes until you get to Kamloops, then North on Hwy 5,,to Little Fort, West again to hwy 97, then North back to Prince George,,, it's a bit of a long trip and some of it is boring riding down the road for ages with just trees to look at, but the Jasper-lake louise-Radium-Golden and rogers pass to Shuswap lakes, part is super,, also Little fort to Lone butte is a cool windy road away from major traffic .

·
Registered
167 Posts
OMG ! being here in BC I must be living a sheltered life,,,, I kept seeing these references to GTA and couldn't get my head around it,,, where is it ,, what is it? I had no idea,,, and now I just realized it ,, Greater Toronto Area.... ha ha ha ,, I felt so dumb . or perhaps I AM DUMB .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts