StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've sold my FZ and I'll be picking up a new '06 red 1000 pretty soon, probably next weekend. I need to add a couple OEM accessories immediately, mainly the centerstand and probably the heated grips. What's a good online dealer to buy these from?

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent, nice prices!

M

·
0 Posts
Hold on there cowboy. Don't pull the trigger on the OEM heated grips just yet. There are better after market grip heaters that the Zuki ones, and for a fraction of the cost. I just installed the Symtech grip heaters and couldn't be happier. And those were about $30. Ask around, Symtech, dual star, etc. are much more popular than the OEM heaters.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
+1 for Oneida. All their OEM stuff was the lowest I saw and they were quick in processing and shipping. Got Zuk centerstand from them.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hold on there cowboy. Don't pull the trigger on the OEM heated grips just yet. There are better after market grip heaters that the Zuki ones, and for a fraction of the cost. I just installed the Symtech grip heaters and couldn't be happier. And those were about $30. Ask around, Symtech, dual star, etc. are much more popular than the OEM heaters.

Okay thanks, I'll look around. I definitely need the center stand though, my garage won't fit the cars and bike unless the bike's on the center stand :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
oneida, me too.

have ordered from ronayers.com a few times and also totally satisfied. oneida tends to be slightly less expensive though.

·
570 Posts
Which Symtech kit did you use? I'd like to try the kit that includes the grips, vs just heating elements you add under existing grips. Anyone have input into how the grips are? Too hard, soft, thick, etc...?

M

·
0 Posts
By better, do you mean more than lower-priced?
Yes, it was my understanding that the Suzuki grips have a very limited heating element. The Symtech heaters that I installed have elements that wrap around the whole bar, thereby heating anywhere your hand may be. I've heard complaints about the Suzuki heater heating only one area of the grip. And the difference in price is a significant factor as well +/- $30.00 vs. $189.00.

Hot grips are another solution for those who want grip/element solutions. You can chek them out at Bike Bandit.

M

·
0 Posts
Which Symtech kit did you use? I'd like to try the kit that includes the grips, vs just heating elements you add under existing grips. Anyone have input into how the grips are? Too hard, soft, thick, etc...?

I used the standard rocker switch motorcycle kit. I was also replacing my bars when I installed my heaters so I bought some new grips and went whole hog. New bars, grips, heaters. :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I've heard complaints about the Suzuki heater heating only one area of the grip. And the difference in price is a significant factor as well +/- $30.00 vs. $189.00.
The Suzi grips weren't that much $ when I bought them, but I could use more heat. They need more oomph for warming you up through winter gloves.

M

·
0 Posts
With the Symtech's I need to go back and forth. Only high gets way too hot even with winter gloves on. It's like holding a toaster. 'Course that's really what they are, right?

·
Registered
52 Posts
suzuki hot grips

My 06 strom has the oem heated grips and I rarely turn the rheostat up more then three quarters turn, plenty of heat on the whole grip, left or right, but they are a kind of big diameter and sort of hard, the rheostat is nice, my bmw only had high or low.

·
Registered
22,321 Posts
there are aftermarket grips that are cheaper, but better? who really knows

my time is worth money, Suzuki grips install with no fuss in 15-20 minutes and look like they were made for the bike cause they were

aftermarket grips...

first you have to fuss with grinding the ridges off the throttle tube, with hotgrips you gotta drill the ends of the grips to mount your bar ends, then you gotta glue , find a place for a resistor for some brands , fabricate something for the switch mount, fuss with electrical connections

to make it look decent, it takes time

Naw, Suzuki Accessory grips are the way to go

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

M

·
0 Posts
Holy cow, a difference of opinion on the internet. Who'd a thought. Buy what you want, ride what you like.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
My 06 strom has the oem heated grips and I rarely turn the rheostat up more then three quarters turn, plenty of heat on the whole grip, left or right, but they are a kind of big diameter and sort of hard, the rheostat is nice, my bmw only had high or low.
My Suzi grips have reasonable heat down to 40ºF. Below that, they're lacking. Above 55ºF or so, I'll turn the controller down.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Hay MZ

If you are getting the bike from a dealer they will usually give you a break on the stuff you buy from them. Might be worth it to ask them.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
120 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts