StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

There is lots of reviews of off-road tires but which tires is the best one (performance/handling/etc) for the DL1000 2014+?

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
There are several newcomers, but I don't think any have yet dethroned the Continental TKC80 for off-road ability and durability combined with acceptable road manners.

Its only disadvantage is the arse-cramping cost. $300 a set, and they don't last nearly as long as a more streetish tire.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Hello,

There is lots of reviews of off-road tires but which tires is the best one (performance/handling/etc) for the DL1000 2014+?

Cheers.

No such thing as "best", sorry.

Have to try them for yourself, your riding style and conditions.

Shinkos are a good place to start. 705s - 70/30. 804s - 40/60
(on-road/off-road according to Shinko).

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Yeah "best" - really depends

off road or off pavement??

durability versus "stick"

I found the Heindenau Scouts ( K60s ) excellent in off pavement direction control and traction combined with outstanding wear due to the solid rubber centre strip.
Riders report 20k miles on them.

Braking hard on slick pavement or pushing the cornering envelope on pavement....not great for either and they ain't a knobby for off road traction and directional stability in rough going but then .....not sure the Strom is all that suited to that kind of single track riding.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Heidenau K60 scout made me look like a pro in trails i had no business to be in (zero experience in sand and rock crawling :mod2_flowers:).

But on asphalt, the back wheel drifted more than once, and the front wheel made way too much noise, even with my music on. The front wheel was also very unstable at 60mph.

Because of my budget, i'm sticking to the oem tires, they are great all around tires, but are a little weaker off-road (can't have it all!)

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I was pricing another set of Anakee 3s and see that they now have an Anakee 3 "wild" that is a radial knobby with tread similar to the proven TKC 80s.

DOUBLE WOOT the Tenere may be getting some knobby shoes.

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
I was pricing another set of Anakee 3s and see that they now have an Anakee 3 "wild" that is a radial knobby with tread similar to the proven TKC 80s.

DOUBLE WOOT the Tenere may be getting some knobby shoes.
And those "wild" tires are gonna be expensive, you need to seriously look at the Shinko's I mentioned. :fineprint:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
And those "wild" tires are gonna be expensive, you need to seriously look at the Shinko's I mentioned. :fineprint:
Way expensive :frown2:

I have a few 1000 miles left on the old A3s and they ride so nice I likely will get another set. I tend to be riding more shitty roads than gravel or dirt these days anyways.....must be getting old :confused:

Reactions: Brojon and Big B

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Define "off road." Do you want full knobbies or tires that are almost as good and better on road?

Full knobbies include the Conti TKC 80 and the Kenda Big Block.

For decent off road and on road, look at Mitas E-07, Heidenau K60, and Conti TKC70.

As noted above, there are some new entries in th field.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm looking for "tires that are almost as good and better on road"

I will look into Conti TKC 80 and the Kenda Big Block then.

thanks all!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sigh......pay almost twice as much for a TKC80, or simply pay less and give the Shinko 804/805 a fair chance.
Funny - my dealer said Shinkos were crap. A cheap tire and he didn't recommend them. He said your tires are the only thing touching the ground so they better be good. He suggested Continentals, Perelli or the stock Battlewings.

I agree to a point but - $$ doesn't always = performance. Shinkos are well priced and seem to have good performance.

And I need tires so I'm considering all at the moment.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts

·
phatguy in Cbus
182 Posts
Something new in the market: Sava MC60 distributed by "RawHyde" Nice write-up on RawHyde web site. I heard by word of mouth that they are attending at least one East coast rally this year and they will be bringing some of the Sava's on request.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts