StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*** EDIT: This ride officially has a date - July 2 and 3rd ***

After riding back from an awesome tech day in Spokane this last weekend, I got to thinkin... I want to put together a "best of the best" eastern oregon road ride for some of my new and old Stromtrooper friends. This is the general plan as its rolling around in my head at the moment - a friday evening meet-up around Pendleton (this way guys like cbrxxcess, bumblebee and sempervee can leave afterwork on a friday afternoon and be at the campground 4 hours later - no time off required: Hood River guys like Ladukebob can make it there as well.... ), I'll have the camp fire going and the beers on ice when you'all get in. Then its off the next morning for a 450 mile ride covering the "whose who" of epic oregon twisties, all the major players are represented here, the Antelope curves, Twinkenham and Bakeoven Rd's, and my personal favorite, hwy 216 "Shaniko-Fossil hwy". Then what better way to end a long day, then a nice soak in Ritter hot springs... Sunday morning headout east toward Hells Canyon and Oxbow dam via John Day Middle Fork Rd, up and over Hess Rd to Joseph and North to Clarkston, basically a whole lot of awesomeness!!! Don't take my word for it - check it out for yourself

------------------------------> best of best eastern oregon weekend tour - A bike ride in Pendleton, OR 97801, US <--------------------------

So again, just throwing this vague idea out there into cyberspace to see if anyone is interested in this type of weekend get together for some good camping, amazing riding and other various types of tom-foolary and shananigans? The pace will be brisk as to cover the most geopgraphy as possible and is not limited to Strom's only, just good natured folks who like to ride. I think it is a centrally located meet-up as to draw any interested folk from a large swath of eastern wa, central oregon and even boise without having to schedule time-off from work on friday and put you all back to work monday am, no-worse-for-ware (not responsible for riders with stock seats...)

**** The IN List ****

howardbell
sakebato
darkshadow
cbrxxcess
garbage marc
sempervee
weemcd
nvr2old

**** The "dang, I really want to go on this super freakin' cool ride, but I'm not sure if I can make it" List ****

bumblebee (he'd rather be fishing, but I'm hoping his boat gets a hole in it so he has to come ride with us)
ladukebob (you're busy I get it, and I bagged out on one of your rides and now you want me to know just how it feels...)

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Sounds like fun, I'm in if the timing's right. June is filling up fast with family stuff and a trip out to Bozeman. I'll be watching this thread to see how everyone else feels about the dates. Thanks for putting this together :thumbup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like fun, I'm in if the timing's right. June is filling up fast with family stuff and a trip out to Bozeman. I'll be watching this thread to see how everyone else feels about the dates. Thanks for putting this together :thumbup:

I was hoping you might say that Dan... which june weekends are still "open" for you at this point?

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Well it looks like June is out for me, the only weekend I had left was the first one and my wife reminded me that that is the same weekend as the Mt. Hood Cycling Classic. It's a big event here in the Valley and is a lot of fun to watch. I think I can do this in July if you guys want to hold off, if not I totally understand.

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
Somewhere in Or-e-gone........????

I went here back in 2003 with a church youth group.......very old, but quaint and neat in it's own way. They use to have small cabins for rent to familys (or small groups).....we were in the huge bunkhouse facility. Probably warm in the summer........best to save this ride for Fall.......and enjoy the hot springs after a long day-ride??

History

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am all about this kind of "tom foolery". Dates, so far weekend of 4,5th is out as I will be being given a tour of the bend area by some hot shoe on a dl1k. I might have to help the wife with a job one weekend but that is tentative and Im not sure on the dates yet.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The Mrs. and I will be discussing this and get back to you with our weekend vote. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Mrs. and I will be discussing this and get back to you with our weekend vote. :mrgreen:

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

Awesome! After all, this ride/ route was literally designed to be done for a weekend door-to-door for you guys in Spokane... oh, and your guys vote also counts for 2 extra cool points for giving this kid the most AMAZING brakes EVER!!! Holy Sh!t those for 4 pot brakes are awesome, 1 finger braking on a dime! Also, be sure to invite Mark (I can tell he brings out the dark side and shananigans in you... ha!).

·
Registered
774 Posts
Damn! I'd hate to miss a planned ride from Howard. He is the Jedi master of trip planning. He's my go-to guy when I need route advice. He's that good! Someday I hope to be only half as good as he is at route finding/ planning.

June 23/24 is open for me. July weekends are less booked for me. Come on, who is in on riding Master Bell's Best of the Best in Eastern Oregon?

PS This message brought to you by a behind the scenes prod from the HowardBell Ride It or I'll Come After You club. We need to get some people together so that he'll stop using Jedi mind control tactics on me. "HowardBell is the greatest rider to ever grace the pavement and dirt of this world." Please post up for this ride to make this madness stop.

·
Registered
774 Posts
How much of the ride is on dirt? Likely not FJR-friendly, eh?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
How much of the ride is on dirt? Likely not FJR-friendly, eh?
On the contrary... to my knowledge it is 100% paved (not paved all that well in some spots, it is easter OR afterall...). There are a few small sections of the proposed route I have not personally been on, but I am doing a prudent amount of research on those spots to ensure this is a dirt-free ride.

And you know honestly Sean, July works fine for me as well, I was just leaving the Boise rally weekend off and the weekends on either sides of the rally so as to not exclude anyone traveling to the rally, that said, I am thinking we should/ could narrow the dates down to the weekend of June 25/26 or July 2/3 and see if anyone who wants to go has any conflicts with either of these weekends.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm waiting to see what cbrxxcess comes up with, but July works better for me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
500 Posts
I am intrigued:confused:
I could probably do this, although June is pretty full for me as well. July would work . Don't go rescheduluing on my account. I'm a notorious shifter of committments, and pretty much have an impulse control issue. I think I could do like a Friday Saturday thing, and then head home Sunday whilst the rest go on and finish the loop.
Is this tent camping type stuff we're talking here? I'm due for some new rubber in a couple thousand, so I figure if the Oregon trip with the wife doesnt finish the tread off, this would do the Anakees in nicely.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
July 2/3 may be a good one for me as it will naturally be a 3 day weekend. I am kinda liking that one myself. Campgrounds could be a pain but I am sure we could work around that with reservations.

·
Registered
243 Posts
June 24-25 would work perfectly for me... I should be heading back from Utah that weekend. July... not so much. Hoping to be out in Montana again, doing the MT1000 and WestFest.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
*** Edit : this ride officially has a date - July 2-3 ***

Hey, hey, hey party-people :hurray: - we have a date set for the above mentioned super-awesome Eastern Oregon rumble! On the fence? I sincerely promise, you come along with us, and a good time will be had by all. Keep an eye on this thread, I'll come back and update it with more info (ie. camp ground info). :thumbup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
June 24-25 would work perfectly for me... I should be heading back from Utah that weekend. July... not so much. Hoping to be out in Montana again, doing the MT1000 and WestFest.
sorry haus, democracy rules - we seemed to have more takers for july, but I will tell you what, hit me up when you are heading thru Oregon, and I'll give you a personally guided backroads tour!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
On my Calendar for July, depending on the outcome of a few things !

1 - 20 of 138 Posts