StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I ride a lot together (me DL650, her DRZ 400SM) and the most annoying part is keeping in touch when on the road. I'm forever looking back to see if everything is OK, then sometimes she will blast by me to get my attention.

I'm guessing I'm looking at some big bucks for a complete system but to keep family harmony it would be worth it.

Thanks

Ron W.

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Cardo Scala Q2.

http://www.cardowireless.com/MultiSet

My wife and I use a set of these, and we couldn't be happier. It does all I want them to do; sometimes my wife is a passenger and sometimes she is riding her GS500E. They allow rider-to-passenger full duplex, bike-to-bike full duplex that is very clear even at its rated 1,640ft/500m at freeway speeds. They have excellent battery life; we can talk for 6-7 hours non-stop before needing to charge them. I can pair with my cell phone and make or receive calls. You should be able to find them on ebay for less than $300 for the pair.

They are not good for large groups of riders, as they only allow 2 or 3 units to pair with each other. They are also not good for distances greater than they are rated between bikes, unless you use the unit as a bluetooth paired to your cell phone. However, this uses cell minutes and is limited by cell coverage.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
+1 for the Scala.

We have the older system the teamset which is designed for rider -> pillion use but it works equally well as bike -> bike provided the bikes are within 100m or so of each other.
The Q2 version improves on the original technology quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The Scala looks good.

We got an old set of Collet communicators on ebay for about $120 for the set. The battery packs each use 6 AA batteries. We use rechargables, which will last all day, but it's nice to be able to put regular batteries in them in a pinch.

They're voice activated, allow for an ipod connection, but no phone or GPS. Not bad for the price though.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
The wife and I love the Scala equipment. We have had it for a year and really have no complaints.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Chatterbox X-1 GMRS Blutooth

I use the top of the line Chatterbox X-1 GMRS Blutooth. It's portable, waterproof, and you can run cell phone (Bluetooth compatible or with accessory wire), Ipod, GPS, etc. I like it, but kind of spendy per unit. :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
old post any new replies?

I have a chatterbox and want to throw them away because I can't hear them at speed. I've been doing a lot of research but want to hear from people that have some of the new systems that have come out in the last year or so.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I love the Sena's smh10 but have only had the chance to use them for wireless music and navigation so far. Have them in my Nolan 90. The sound is loud and clear and they say the bike to bike is good. Haven't really checked around to see if the Sena's will communicate with other brands but I'm guessing not?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
+1 on the Sena. as long as you are within range between bikes they should work equally as well as passenger to pillion. if out of range, phones can be used (the call back button on the back of the unit makes this easy between two people). like all other bluetooth com systems, they do not function with other brands.

I had an Autocom system and hated it. wasn't loud enough, i couldn't get the VOX set up proper, i either had to yell in order to activate the mic or if i set the sensitivity so i could speak normal the engine would trip it and i'd get a bunch of amplified noise, and being tethered to the bike blew. i was always messing with it and just didn't enjoy.

Sena pros
  • spekaers are loud
  • wireless
  • easy to pair (as are all the others)
  • mic pics up voice very well and quells ambient noise
  • easy to operate with the large knob
  • excellent tech support from the guys at rocketmoto even if you don't buy from them but i suggest you do.
  • price for what you get
Sena cons
  • can't hear yourself speak
  • longish delay when push to talk is initialized
  • longish delay resuming music after voice communication
  • cannot stream music from one set to the other (one of the chatterboxes can)
  • wired MP3 is quiter than bluetoothed devices (be read with the volume knob when a call comes in)
  • poor speaker fidelity for music (tonal separation. my MP3 player's equalizer doesn't help much)
  • earbuds and wired (instead of boom) mic requires a completely separate base (currently cannot specify which you want at initial purchase like chatterbox does)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have 2 systems the Scala and the F4 interphone. The Scala is an excellent system and I got the F4 off Craigslist from a guy cheap that had given up riding. Both I like a lot , the sound is slightly better with the F4 but the Scala is better quality. Things to consider do you want music also? Rider to rider or rider to pillion? There is a pretty wide variety to select and can be a big help rider to rider for a big pothole ahead type situations

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
What you get for com gear depends on the distance you need to communicate. Bluetooth is the shortest range option. Greater distance is possible with FMS/GMRS, CB, or 2 meter amateur radio.

The Scala sets are very good if you can live within the distance limits.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I had an Autocom system and hated it. wasn't loud enough, i couldn't get the VOX set up proper, i either had to yell in order to activate the mic or if i set the sensitivity so i could speak normal the engine would trip it and i'd get a bunch of amplified noise, and being tethered to the bike blew. i was always messing with it and just didn't enjoy.
There are a bunch of internal controls on the Autocom I've been using for a few years. Never had trouble with the VOX, but the AGC drove me crazy until I disabled it. Some of the ducking drove me nuts too.

Autocom is a great system after it's set up for you and your bike. Wires don't bother me, and I'd rather not have them, but if you're out for a few days and camping in the woods, keeping a battery operated headset operating is also a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
22,283 Posts
+
I had an Autocom system and hated it. wasn't loud enough, i couldn't get the VOX set up proper]
you didn't have the headset positioned in your helmet, speakers have to be perfectly lined with your ears , yes, its a helmet fit issue, headshape may be correct for riding comfort but ear pockets probably off a little fer yer head

no doubt, initial setup is fussy

I have to recommend Autocom, it intigrates bike to bike, and rider to pillon communication, listening to gps/mp3, radar detector and cell phone to bluetooth

riding 90mph on the highway, a cell phone conversation is clearer than parked on the side of the highway

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Chatterbox GMRS X1

I have been using the GMRS X1 for 7 years now with no problems at all.
It works excellent for bike to bike com. I have tested it up to over 2 miles when riders have got stopped up for whatever reason.

The batt will last all day on a full charge.
You can hear your own voice when you speak.
It is easy to plug your ipod into the access port.

Its not 100% waterproof but some moderate rain isn't an issue.

Overall its a great unit if you are willing to spend the $300 per person.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have two sets of the GMRS X1 bluetooth units that my wife and I use and they work great. No problems with not being able to hear. Actually, I have to be careful I don't turn them up too loud.

I run the Scorpion EX900 modular helmet and have no problems. I think the key is a good helmet that will work with helmet comms.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
There are a bunch of internal controls on the Autocom I've been using for a few years. Never had trouble with the VOX, but the AGC drove me crazy until I disabled it. Some of the ducking drove me nuts too.

Autocom is a great system after it's set up for you and your bike. Wires don't bother me, and I'd rather not have them, but if you're out for a few days and camping in the woods, keeping a battery operated headset operating is also a pain in the ass.
you didn't have the headset positioned in your helmet, speakers have to be perfectly lined with your ears , yes, its a helmet fit issue, headshape may be correct for riding comfort but ear pockets probably off a little fer yer head

no doubt, initial setup is fussy

I have to recommend Autocom, it intigrates bike to bike, and rider to pillon communication, listening to gps/mp3, radar detector and cell phone to bluetooth

riding 90mph on the highway, a cell phone conversation is clearer than parked on the side of the highway
that's my point. too finicky to set up for really no benefit compared to the easy set up of the Sena. speakers placement is almost non issue. just install them so they don't cause pressure on your ears. mic placement is non issue as well. since i have the standard boom mic, it doesn't reach all the way to the font of the my XD3. it's off to the corner of my mouth and everyone says they can hear me fine. and i don't have to YELL. if the autocam is off a smidgen from being centered on yur lips it won't pick you up. and mine always cut off half my speeck unless i yelled. and for that kind of money i expect darn near perfection without the hassle. these Sena's can be had for $250 a pair and are closer to perfect than those darneded autocom. you'll spend more than that just for the basic unit plus another for the other bike plus all the leads you need for your specific radio and phone or two $150 bluetooth adapters and more than double that for the top line with everything built in. for what most will use these com systems for, the autocom units are not worth it. or any of the wired units for that matter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you want more than a couple car lengths reliable reception (and you should in case of breakdowns etc), then you can't beat a couple of handheld two way radios with external headset capability and an external PTT jack. Buy a cheap in helmet mic/speaker kit, plug into two way. Mount PTT switch on left handlebar.
Throw it all in a small tankbag and it'll work for ever. This set up also has the huge advantage of being able to take the radios with you when off the bike for comms in the bush etc.
There are even small two ways now that would fit into some of the larger motorcycle jacket pockets.....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts