StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok looking into what is the best LD tire for a Wee. I am running Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail for the Wee now but the 1st set I only got 10,165 miles out of the rear and was hopping for more. Any good idea's for a long lasting rear tires as im about to go on a 11,000 mile LD ride home to home and do not want to have to get new tires out on the road.
Thanks,
Mitch

2007 Suzuki VStrom 650

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi,
Lots of the LD guys run metzler 880rear and mez 6 front.. the 880 is a very hard tire.. I ran this combo on my ST 1100 and lasted a long time on that fat lady...

mitch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Mitch how many miles are did you get on the 880's. I will be in your neck of the woods on 17th of May on my way to Key West as I am riding the 4 Corners of the USA maybe we can meet up
Mitch

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Ok looking into what is the best LD tire for a Wee. I am running Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail for the Wee now but the 1st set I only got 10,165 miles out of the rear and was hopping for more. Any good idea's for a long lasting rear tires as im about to go on a 11,000 mile LD ride home to home and do not want to have to get new tires out on the road.
Thanks,
Mitch

2007 Suzuki VStrom 650
Tire wear is very subjective on multiple factors. This is just a guess, but the PR3 is probably a very long wearing tire in general. Some people would get more out of it than you did, and some less. As an example, a friend with the exact same bike got only around 4,500 miles on his PR2 rear. I had at the time of a discussion with him, about 7,000 on mine and it looked fairly new. He couldn't figure it out; neither could I. 4,500 on a PR2 is LOW! But that is all he was getting. I sold my bike the following winter with over 8,000 on the rear and it still looked great. That was on a 1050 Triumph.

I could be wrong, but I think whatever you try, you are going to get somewhat similar results due to your riding habits, locale, etc.

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
"Metzeler Tourance (Original model) has been my top mileage getter. 14,000 miles and still legal tread"

Music to my ears. I recently put a Tourance on the Wee.
I used to get gobs of miles on the Metzler ME88's but they were Bias ply. 20K plus out of the rear and 40k out of the front. I hear the Gold wing guys like them them for the life they give.More expensive to buy but maybe worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Been very happy with the ME880s. They are adding a longer lasting ME888 to their line up but not available in our size ( yet ?? )

If the demand is there, they will start to produce them in our sizes... Hint Hint

·
Registered
253 Posts
Slagman, could you be more specific, like what range is your mileage...10K, 14K, etc.
Averaging about 14,000 miles rear and 23,500 front. I change them out quite a bit before the wear indicators " advise " it's time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts