StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting ready to ride a cross-continental road trip and back. Starting in south Florida, working my way to California, then head to PAC west. Over the upper states to east coast, and then back down to Florida. Thinking my best tire set-up is a Shinko 705 front... long lasting, with plenty of grip, and still can do some off road, and a Mitas E-07 rear. Not sure if I should go with Dakar, or regular.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
A friend with a Strom is running the 712 Shinko's. He says they last a long time.
The 705's last 5-6K in the back and 10-12K in the front.
If it's all highway, no dirt, get the 712's. More economical.

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
Mitas E07 front and rear.......done.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
K60 scouts for endurance and good on road - off pavement mix

E7s a bit stickier in the wet on pavement ...not quite the durability ....quieter than the K60s.

Look at the Alaska threads for tire choice....

You don't want to be changing mid trip ...

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
How many miles total 2stroke? Sounds like your almost doing a 4 corner trip which is roughly 7,000 miles. It's doable on one set of tires and I also a E07 fan. Unless you are going to change tires on the side of the road, I would go with the Dakars.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be doing off road too. I can get 15k out of a front 705, and they have tremendous grip. I'm thinking better grip than the E-07 front. I don't care as much about the rear. K-60s don't have great pavement grip, but last a long time. I'm thinking with this combo, I'll be able to ride 7k miles without changing them.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
A friend with a Strom is running the 712 Shinko's. He says they last a long time.
The 705's last 5-6K in the back and 10-12K in the front.
If it's all highway, no dirt, get the 712's. More economical.

I'm on my second 712 rear, got about 5k on the first. That's typical though for any rear tire I've used. The front 712 will go 3 rears more than likely, still looks good.

Tire life is more dependent on road surface, temp, riding style, etc. than brand. Forum reports on mileage need to be taken in that context.

It gets hot here in the desert and the roads have high mineral content. Guys at work that buy expensive tires report about the same mileage as I do.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Metzler ME880, oversize, will drop rpm's by 4%. Old design and bargain priced. For mild off road useable, I did, but not for serious off road. No problems on regular gravel roads. Will last well over 7k and will not square off much. Good grip once warmed up. Stiff sidewalls tire. If not available any longer ME888 instead. I ran Tourance in the front with it.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Tire life is more dependent on road surface, temp, riding style, etc. than brand. Forum reports on mileage need to be taken in that context.
Only to a point ...the heavy ridge down the centre of the K60 scouts gives them incredible durability.

One guy I spoke with had 22k miles on his before worn out, I had 15k km on mine and they easily passed safety check ....

and this is another 20k miles report

The Heidenau K60 and K60 Scout tyres have earned an extremely good reputation as a true 50/50 dual sport tyre. A perfectly suited overland travel tyre; these tyres last longer than just about any comparable dual sport tyre, and do not get scary in the wet like many hard compound tyres do.

Click on the 'Additional Media' tab for detailed photos of each specific tyre.

Gabriel of Zen Overland, used a pair of these on his 60,000 mile 18 month RTW trip, clocking up an incredible total of over 20,000 miles on a single rear tyre!
This was on a Honda XR650L, ridden on the full range of surfaces. From smooth asphalt, to sharp loose rock, mud, sand and countless river crossings.

If you're likely to encounter lots of road miles as well as some testing off road sections, these are a very good choice. It's possible to buy cheaper rubber, but when you actually calculate how much a tyre costs per thousand miles of riding, these are incredibly good value.
If you're doing a big trip, then also factor in the ball-ache of carrying tyres on your bike, and these K60's make perfect sense.
On the flip side they might be a bit more slippy on wet pavement but really with ABS I never had an issue.

I opted for E7s on the KLR as it's wet here and I don't put on the mileage in Australia I do in Canada.
As soon as the P3s wear out on the Wee ...the K60s go on and should give me two seasons. ( 40k km )

Reactions: Spec

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm on my second 712 rear, got about 5k on the first. That's typical though for any rear tire I've used. The front 712 will go 3 rears more than likely, still looks good.
I just noticed Revzilla doesn't carry the stock size front tire for the Shinko 712, all they have is a 110/90-19. Where are you guys finding the 110/80-19 size?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I just noticed Revzilla doesn't carry the stock size front tire for the Shinko 712, all they have is a 110/90-19. Where are you guys finding the 110/80-19 size?

The OEM 110/80-19 doesn't seem to be a common size in tires, not much selection.

I use the 100/90-19 front 712. It's a bit narrower but close to the diameter of the OEM.

A 110/90-19 may fit but it's going to be right up against the fender.

Reactions: Hank122

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,354 Posts
I am running the Continental TKC 70's. I think a front Shinko 705 would be better for as much highway as you will see, but the TKC 70 rear has made my list of top tires. The front TKC 70 does cup a lot and is rather noisy. It will hold till my toes touch in corners. But a 705 has a more secure feel and wears better. I am at just over 5,000 miles on these and the rear looks like it will go 8,000. Which is near a record for ANY rear tire for me........

Reactions: SECoda

·
Registered
833 Posts
Getting ready to ride a cross-continental road trip and back. Starting in south Florida, working my way to California, then head to PAC west. Over the upper states to east coast, and then back down to Florida. Thinking my best tire set-up is a Shinko 705 front... long lasting, with plenty of grip, and still can do some off road, and a Mitas E-07 rear. Not sure if I should go with Dakar, or regular.
Any thoughts?

Just spooned a set of Dakars on this weekend. That was as close as I will ever come to having a baby. Now that they are on I love them. I bought them for long ride/play in the dirt/long ride scenario like you are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was going to go with Dakar front too, but I've had great luck with Shinko 705 fronts. I'm currently riding on my 3rd set of 805/804s, and absolutely love them. Same rubber compound as 705s, but in a more aggressive pattern. They won't last for this trip, so that is why I am leaning towards 705/E-07 combo.
Plus the shinkos are dirt cheap.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
My rear e07 has over 7k on it and I'd say it will easily go another 3k. Most of the miles are loaded down for country trips.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any thoughts?
I'm planning a ride from S. Florida to Idaho, Colorado, and Utah this July. Bike currently has over 8k miles on Bridgestone OEMs and could safely get another 2-3K out of the rear and more out of the front. I plan on replacing both with OEMs for the trip (ordered last week) as I'm happy with their performance. Enjoy your ride and be safe!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts