StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to order a RAM mount, but I have several choices of where I will place the mount (mirror screw, handle bar, above console, etc...). Why do you like where yours is, or what do you suggest?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
I like above the instruments. It doesn't take your eyes too far off the road ahead. Fighter jets have head up displays for a reason.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use a motorcycle clamp ball, part# RAM-B-367U. It replaces one of the handlebar mounting bolts. With an arm attached I can move the GPS to any position I need to.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I'm about to order a RAM mount, but I have several choices of where I will place the mount (mirror screw, handle bar, above console, etc...). Why do you like where yours is, or what do you suggest?
I like mine in my line of sight. Mine is mounted on a Tourtech vibration dampened mount. I've been using this arrangement for over 8 years.

·
38,049 Posts
I use a motorcycle clamp ball, part# RAM-B-367U. It replaces one of the handlebar mounting bolts. With an arm attached I can move the GPS to any position I need to.
That won't put the GPS above the instruments. Also, the longer the arm is and the farther it is from vertical, the more vibration transfers to the screen.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
I have it mounted on the left side of my handlebar using a Ram Mount. (BTW Ram Mounts absorb vibration.) It is on a fairly long Ram arm so that it clears my tank bag and is visually is slightly to the left of the instruments. It is easy to reach at any time and takes no more effort to look at than does the speedometer or fuel guage.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts

·
38,049 Posts
That's a true HUD though. The driver has to look through it to see the road. A GPS above the instruments requires the rider to look down but still have the road in peripheral vision. The display, on the other hand, cannot be read using peripheral vision. The braking truck in front can register on the brain while looking at the screen but the screen can't be read while looking at the truck unless the rider has much better peripheral vision than I do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lt side Ram mount

I have mine mounted on a ram mount with a 6 inch so I can use it easier than trying to reach forward to the dash. I did try mine on the dash shelve and had the same vib problem GW mentions. I found that just about anything in the dash vibrates a lot and Im trying to come up with a solution.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
As others have mentioned, I too like mine right above gauges/console. A quick glance down and then back to the road.

My Zumo is mounted to the Touratech locking mount which is mounted to a SW-Motech vibration-damped mount (leftover from my StreetPilot 2730 days). On rough roads there is some bounce but other than that it was worked well.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I just purchased two Ram mounts with 6" (I believe) arms. One has a cradle for my Garmin GPS and one is that "X" type holder for my iPhone. When I first installed it I only installed the cell phone mount and I put it directly in the center of my handlebars. Well once I installed my tank bag I realized that was not going to work so I moved it to the left side of my bars. I also just installed a powerlet socket on the left side in the plastic below the gauges so the left side was probably the best place for the Ram mount. Soon I'm leaving for the NE gathering in Old Forge then heading to Nova Scotia and want to mount my GPS Ram mount as well but am unsure if I want the dash mount instead. It sure does look much cleaner and less obstructive but I believe that the Ram mount would have less vibration than the dash mount. Does anyone have two Ram mounts with arms installed on their bike and have a tank bag as well? If so, where do you mount yours?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Two of our bikes have the mount over the dash, the other two bikes have it on the left handlebar. I definitely prefer it up high and directly in front.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Mine is on RAM mount clamped to handlebar with the long arm and X-mount. Lets me position it according to sun angle.

I don't like it forward, too hard to reach

Mine is close enough to read and does not obscure the instruments. I left the handlebar clamp looese enough I can move it back and forward and of course the ball mounts have some range of movement. Quite pleased with it.

Does anyone have two Ram mounts with arms installed on their bike and have a tank bag as well? If so, where do you mount yours?
One mount on either side of the handlebar clamps. WIth the 6" arms you have lots of range of positioning.
My cup holder tips forward and the X mount goes right and nearer to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts