StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After losing my radiator to a rock tossed up by a jeep I was passing on a gravel road I'm now a believer in using a radiator guard. Turns out this was a costly error in judgement. I always hang a lot of frakels on my bike but had never seen the need for this. :furious:

Sooo, now I'm looking and can not find a good guard for less than $90. I DON'T want to make one so am looking for other suggestions :confused:.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Hey Zekester,

Ièd love to see a photo of your 'letter tray' ! Great idea.

It's not my original idea, but here's my post in the original thread showing the letter tray mod:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/1760097-post39.html

Obviously you don't have to remove everything like I did...I was in the middle of several mods when I did it.

There's also some other ideas in that thread besides the $4 letter

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is anyone out there using the Enduro Guardian $60 radiator guard? Any new noises or vibrations as a result? Any compatibility issues with the Weld 86 skid plate (can't imagine how there could be, but . . .)?

Same questions for the radiator and oil cooler guards from AliExpress? Plus, who makes these? How easy are they to install?

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I will always make something if I can so……………..

Reading up on the vulnerability of the radiator on my bike and the 300€ cost of a replacement I looked at getting a guard but paled away from the telephone numbers some were quoting.

So get some steel mesh and a bit of aluminium. Cut it all to size, put it together and paint it, job done - total cost, about 15€

I have some aluminium mesh but its too flimsy and I doubt it would stop a piece of flint gravel.

The guard is proud of the radiator core and sits on 5mm foam tape to prevent any chafing.

One bolt at the bottom 4 cable-ties at the top.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I also made one out of a mesh letter tray. I added furniture felt pucks to prevent any rubbing and zip tied in place for about 7$.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also made one out of a mesh letter tray. I added furniture felt pucks to prevent any rubbing and zip tied in place for about 7$.
Much cheaper than the 550 I just had to pay for a new one. :headbang:
I do think I'll save the old one and have it repaired for "just in case" :yesnod:

Thank for all the help and suggestions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Retaite,

You did a great job on your custom radiator guard. It looks better on your bike then any of the aftermarket units I have seen. I am on the fence as to whether to buy a aftermarket or "attempt" to make my own. I know mine wouldn't look as nice as yours.

Has any one ever commented on whether or not their particular guard affects cooling? Seems like most units I have seen are fine but I did see one aftermarket unit that looked to block about 25% or more of the air flow. Just guessing though. I would think with the high number of riders using guards, that it does not present any problems.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I went with the Enduro Guardian option, but had him leave the double back tape off, so he instead used some silicon/rubber foam tape on the guard for spacing away from the radiator. Works fine and doesn't seem to affect cooling. Will not interfere with any bars or skid plates (don't think any radiator guard would).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts