StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Best helmet for v-strom rider

Hey, I tried a post attached to a different thread, and got some good information, but thought I would try a separate unique post. I currently am wearing my first helmet, a BILT modular lid I got at Cycle Gear. It's okay, but fogs terribly when riding, but what did I expect from a 60 buck helmet. and I am more concerned about getting one that has the snell rating as well as DOT. I do want a full face, and am looking for a price range of 180-250. but love to find a sale also. I think I want one that has internal sunshade as well.
I tried on a Shoei Qwest that fit great, but the price is too steep for me. :patriot::party:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Helmets are pretty personal, and fit is everything.

But with that said, in that price range, I have heard very good things about Bell's midrange lids like the Vortex (DOT, Snell M2010). Bonus points for the available SOLFX transitions visor, which has also received very good reviews. Shoei, Arai, Schuberth, etc set the standard, but unless you're shopping hard for deals, they also tend to be more $$$.

I'm hoping to upgrade my helmet too, when the sales hit at the end of the season, and the Bell Star and RS-1 are at the top of my list.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Find the one that fits you best. For me, HJC fits better than anything else I have tried on. It's also nice that mine has some good features and wasn't super expensive.

·
Registered
132 Posts
As a noob I recently purchased my first helmet. I spent a few hours at a large dealer with several brands to try. I took a friends advice and left any helmets the felt good on for about ten minutes to see how it felt over time.

I decided on a Nexx Carbon Fiber. It fit me better than any other helmet I tried, had a great viewport, super light, and a good value for the price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Helmet

How about a scorpion exo 700, it's around $150 range, is fairly quite, and doesn't fog easily.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I spent some time at Cycle Gear trying on various modulars (I have a full face DOT/Snell 2005 helmet already). I've been intrigued by the convenience of modular helmets and wanted to try one. I tried the Shoei Multitec ($370), the AGV Miglia ($144) and the Bilt Solar ($99). The Shoei was clearly the best in fit, finish, and comfort, but even on sale it was too expensive for my budget. I was not impressed with the Miglia. I was surprised with the quality and comfort of the Bilt, especially given the price (I really wanted to hate it and rule it out). The Bilt Solar also comes with a 5 year warranty. At $99 (on sale from $200, though I doubt they ever sell it at the retail price) I figured I couldn't go wrong with trying one out.

BTW, all three of the Modulars I tried were DOT only, FWIW.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Helmets are pretty personal, and fit is everything.

But with that said, in that price range, I have heard very good things about Bell's midrange lids like the Vortex (DOT, Snell M2010). Bonus points for the available SOLFX transitions visor, which has also received very good reviews. Shoei, Arai, Schuberth, etc set the standard, but unless you're shopping hard for deals, they also tend to be more $$$.

I'm hoping to upgrade my helmet too, when the sales hit at the end of the season, and the Bell Star and RS-1 are at the top of my list.
I purchased a Bell Star last season and just love it. Very light and nice fit for me. Great adjustable ventilation leaves me fog free and cool when its hot. No sun visor but quick visor change feature along w/ additional cheek cushions for a custom fit. DOT & Snell approved and $199 on sale from motorcyclecloseouts. Size runs big but easy exchange.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Schuberth C3, is what i wear, expensive? Maybe? but what is your head worth?

·
Registered
152 Posts
BTW, all three of the Modulars I tried were DOT only, FWIW.
I don't know if there are any Snell rated modular helmets.

Up until about 5 years ago, there were no Snell rated open face helmets.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was surprised with the quality and comfort of the Bilt, especially given the price (I really wanted to hate it and rule it out). The Bilt Solar also comes with a 5 year warranty. At $99 (on sale from $200, though I doubt they ever sell it at the retail price) I figured I couldn't go wrong with trying one out.
UPDATE - Wore around the house for 30 minutes...that's all the time I needed to determine that you can go wrong spending $100 on this helmet. :thumbdown:Shield ratcheting was uneven and one side kept popping off. Strap is back toward the throat and becomes uncomfortable relatively quickly. Heading back to Cycle Gear tomorrow to exchange. Probably will fork out the money for the Shoei

·
Registered
23 Posts
I recently bought a Bell Revolver (Bell's modular helmet). It is the best I've found so far for NOT fogging up. It has a great "breath box" built into the front of the helmet. I like the retractable sun visor. I usually still wear "clip-on" sunglasses on my prescription eyewear, but the built in visor helps the helmet stay cooler, especially if you are riding with the sun in your face.
I have found it very difficult to buy helmets. Even trying them on in stores, I've found that sometimes after buying one and wearing it for 3 or 4 hours on the bike with the wind pressure on it, that it becomes uncomfortable, and develops "hot spots". I must have one of those "long" heads because the Revolver bothered my forehead after long rides. I had to modify it with a spoon at the front seam that is sewed in the liner.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Try a Nolan?

Nolan makes a great modular helmet with internal drop-down shade for just over $200. Revzilla's got the N90 on sale for $215 in 6 solid colors. I've tried this helmet on and it's a well made lid with a drop-down shade and a good, overall reputation. It not Snell, but as been pointed out, I don't think there's a modular that is, including Shoei.

I wanted to like the modular style and features but I just prefer traditional full-face helmets. After trying on a bunch of different brands across the spectrum of price ranges, I settled on a Shoei Hornet DS helmet I found on-sale. I love the helmet for scooting around town but I hate it on the highway. It's loud and the visor catches a lot of wind. I had a $65 Bilt full face for a summer trip, which served it's purpose but not perfectly, though the internal drop-down sun shade was nice. I ended up selling it on ADV and recently picked up a Shoei RF1100 (tried the Qwest but it just didn't fit my head correctly). If you shop around, the RF-1100 can be found on eBay for less than $350 or even less than $300. It fogs up easily so I bought a pinlock face shield for mine.

·
Registered
657 Posts
At that price, I'd be looking at Scorpion or HJC. Go try a bunch on, and buy what fits best. Looks for snug/tight but no pressure points.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I went from a Scorpion to a Shoei Quest, what a difference is comfort, fit and noise reduction.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Yank,

No one can tell you which helmet is right for you. Your must find a helmet with an internal shape that matches the shape of your head. The Scorpion recommended above is a very good helmet and a good value, but they are long-ovals, and if you have a round head, they're wrong for you (but they fit me). If you have a round head, a Shoei might fit you and it is wrong for me. As stated in postings above, you really need to try on several and see which is the right fit and price for you. The helmet companies do not discuss the internal shapes of their helmets, and some companies have different shapes in different helmet lines in their brand. Arai is the only maker that lists the shapes, long-oval and intermediate-oval; Arai helmets are excellent, very safe, very comfortable, and very pricey.

The most important part of the helmet is the inch-thick rigid EPS foam liner which absorbs shock and keeps your brain from getting scrambled inside your skull. The hard shell protects the liner. This foam liner must fit your head front-to-back, side-to-side, and all around to protect you.

Here's more about fit:
Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld
SHARP Helmets - Get the Right Fit

The SHARP program test how much helmets sold in the U.K. exceed the European standards. If the model is the same as one sold in the U.S., it is an excellent review of the helmet.

I use a helmet that meets the Snell M2010 standards because I think they offer more protection. Earlier Snell standards has some problems that have been corrected.
http://www.smf.org/

BiLT is Cycle Gear's house brand. It is probably OK stuff and worth the price. There is better stuff available for more money.

Internal sun shades are problematic. They require a taller shell to make room for the shade. Often the shade does not come down far enough. Some times the shade may fall down. I don't know of many successful ones on lower priced helmets. Try on lots of helmets of lots of brands. Find the smallest possible size that fits you comfortably just right. Fit comes first, then features come next. If you find one that fits just right, excellent ventilation, is in your budget, and has a sun shade, great.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Up until about 5 years ago, there were no Snell rated open face helmets.
You mean the folks at Snell have now decided faces aren't worth saving? Must be some powerful ugly people working over there.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
What most others have said, get what fits and is comfortable. The only thing that I didn't even consider shopping around for cheap was on the helmet. It's my head, and the only one I got, and it's how I make a living. My head is a shoei head, and I love it to death. I spent hours in A few dealerships trying in a whole bunch of helmets. That's the best way IMO. Don't go cheap, and get what is comfy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am always amazed at the fact that most look for the cheapest helmet they can find. ITS YOUR HEAD FTLOG!!! Bell had an ad campain back in the 80's that went something like this...."If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet." Cheap helmets are cheap for a reason. Protect the melon---Spend the extra $$$ your family will thank you when they dont have to wipe your ass and feed you thru a straw because you saved a $100 on a helmet.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts