StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

New to the forums, I bought a 2016 VStrom DL 1000 GT a couple of months ago and am based in Central QLD. Im mostly a road rider, but QLD is full of of road tracks, and they are begining to look inviting.

So I was wondering what GPS units riders use?

Im thinking something that can be capable with routes for the highways and byways, but has the ability to use tracks, make tracks on the fly etc.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Now you started what will be a hot debate of smart-phone vs GPS, just watch it unfold.

My GPS is a Garmin Zumo 590. Expensive but a bit more tolerable bought factory re-furbished.

It can do both routes that you make on the PC or on the fly. It ALSO can display tacks at the same time as routing you along your route. Useful if you are concerned about the routing calculation the unit does and if it follows where you wanted to go (the track you loaded).

There will be many other options to do what you want, I am sure, lets wait and see :)

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
If you search the "techy" section, you'll see multiple threads about GPS units, and GPS Vs Phone. Some of the threads go on for pages, so there's lots of info already there to digest. And since the same guys usually respond to every thread about GPS units, whatever they covered there already is pretty much the same stuff that'll get rehashed here. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but if you look for those threads you'll be able to read them in their entirety, rather than waiting for responses to dribble in.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have a regular car gps right now (i think 4.5 inches), only downside is i need to place it in a waterproof holder when it rains. Been two years now, only thing it misses is bluetooth or fm transmission for the directions, but i paid 30$ for it. sooo.

I waited a bit for the specs to get better, and think i'm ready to pull the trigger on an ebay/gearbest ipx68 motorcycle gps unit. Basically, those things are like waterproof android or windows tablets for 1/4th othe price of a zumo.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I love my Zumo's

If you add the topographic maps you can go anywhere it thinks there is a track.

A Zumo is not a cheap solution but it is a easy one.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm with Rolex on this. I find it hard to ride without my Zumo now. Older 350LM model. Topo maps maps are really a must once you leave the main roads. Only problem with buying a second hand Zumo is that the free lifetime map updates only apply to the original purchaser.

Mate of mine was using his phone as a GPS on his 690R and twice the lens fell out of his phone camera. Definitely not recommended for off-road use.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
I have a Zumo 665, a TomTom Rider, and a very recent Chinese clone GPS (5" FOD Sports). They all work just fine for my Ozark riding. Strangely, the clone maps are a bit more accurate than the Zumo (especially for speeds). I realize the map suppliers are independent orgs.

The clone is also a tablet so you can run whatever GPS software (or other applications with Google Play on it) you want for Android if you don't like theirs. You can use a variety of Topo or other maps as well. It has great graphics and you can customize a lot. Same resolution as the 590. The only negative I found is the Bluetooth is a bit finicky. It is waterproof and brighter than a phone.

Garmin's Base-camp is probably at the bottom of the user friendly route planning list but with some initial help on here and then a lot of self-training I got pretty good at it now. I also use Tyre which is a better IMO.

The clone was obviously a fraction of the price of the other two. (20% or so) I wouldn't consider it probably if I was going Long Way Round but for my second adv bike I like it better than the TomTom.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
I've been using the less expensive automotive Garmin GPS in an a Ram Aqua box. Even the cheap-os will give remarkable detail in the Calif desert for the known dirt tracks.
They may do the same for your area, with any luck.

"recent Chinese clone GPS"

Zow, didn't know they were available. With refurbed Garmins available, why bother with a knock off?

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
I got the higher end one with better graphics (480x800 like the 590) and more RAM for $125. Even the refurbs are 3-4x more with less resolution like my 660 or a 390. Garmin are outrageously priced. What is a new 590? $700-800? Refurbs $350-500 depending on model.

Also, the tablet can do a lot more stuff being Android. I put in a 64GB MicroSD and probably have 20 applications on it. I have other also GPS apps with downloaded maps. You can watch movies. I guess one Zumo is enough for me.

I've been using the less expensive automotive Garmin GPS in an a Ram Aqua box. Even the cheap-os will give remarkable detail in the Calif desert for the known dirt tracks.
They may do the same for your area, with any luck.

"recent Chinese clone GPS"

Zow, didn't know they were available. With refurbed Garmins available, why bother with a knock off?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm actually looking for a dedicated GPS unit as well and agree with general notion that budget really dictates everything. A decent used TomTom or Garmin Zumo will be an ideal starting point and as a matter of fact I found some cheap TomTom Rider 2 on Ebay for around $200.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Compare the specs, features, and reviews. There are huge differences. If you use Google maps the TomTom Rider 2 may not be the best choice or if you want to record if I remember correctly. Screen readability is a big problem on some of the TomTom's.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Do you need dual Bluetooth (headset + phone), waterproof while powered and glove compatible touch screen? Yes, then get a Zumo.
No, then there are dozens of outdoor gps that will work for you.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I liked my old GPS a Zumo 660, and got a lot of years of great service.
When I couldn't update it any more I finally gave in and got a newer one a Zumo 395. One feature the old one had that I miss was the ability to search for gas stations on the fly. The new one won't do that. Other than that complaint I like the new one.
I did get a hard mount for both to avoid the shaky road shutdown.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I liked my old GPS a Zumo 660, and got a lot of years of great service.
When I couldn't update it any more I finally gave in and got a newer one a Zumo 395. One feature the old one had that I miss was the ability to search for gas stations on the fly. The new one won't do that. Other than that complaint I like the new one.
I did get a hard mount for both to avoid the shaky road shutdown.
I can search for gas stations or just upcoming gas stations on my route on the 395lm...?

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
The 2455's I have and the 2589 have lifetime maps and real time traffic. They were about $100 refurbed. The ones in the car are fine the one on the bike is in a Ram Aqua box and stays free of the elements so I don't worry about the rain.
The newest one does not work with a gloved hand though. Doesn't like the finger nail either. Gotta be the the end of the finger. The others work with gloves and through the flexible window on the ram box.
Go figure?

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Most of the riding gloves have the finger tips to activate anything these days. I really dislike listening to turn-by-turn navigation so I just tend to study the route and occasionally glance at the screen as needed.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I can search for gas stations or just upcoming gas stations on my route on the 395lm...?

The old one I would simply push on the motorcycle icon/then 'fuel'/ and the stations would come up, nearest to farther away. On my new one 395LM, I can only do that if I am stationary... Are you searching while in motion? If so let me know the sequence..

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
We are currently using the Zumo 590, previous to this we had the 660 which we still have and use on our DR's.
The 590 is a good unit, some times hard to see the screen in sunlight but works well.
We don't use it a lot as a GPS but when we have it gives clear commands and routes.
We have our music on it & Bluetooth to our headsets which we use more than the GPS function.

Cheers V2man & GotaV2

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was just talking to a friend about this - he's a backcountry hiker and climber.

At what point, to stay competitive, do you think that Garmin will start putting the inreach function into the Zumos - a model like the Zumo 590IR? I imagine it's only one or two generations from now, really. At that point, if the overall quality of the unit it good, it will be worth $700. Until then, I don't think so.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts