StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
3,555 Posts
No one can tell you what's going to be best for you. So much depends on your age, location, driving record, credit history and other factors that you may get a great deal with one company and a horrible one with another, and for someone else it's the reverse.
You just have to call/surf around and get a bunch of quotes.

· Premium Member
390 Posts
1-800

I always use the 1-800 ##### they give on TV = use it, then call a local agent and the prices are very different. I have Allstate, 2 bikes for under $400 year with 5k for extras one and 4k for extras on the other..
No one can or will tell tell you why the prices are diff.....
no claims, no tickets, good credit, boths bike paid for and the list goes on.
good luck

· Registered
77 Posts
No one can tell you what's going to be best for you. So much depends on your age, location, driving record, credit history and other factors that you may get a great deal with one company and a horrible one with another, and for someone else it's the reverse.
You just have to call/surf around and get a bunch of quotes.
+1
I have progressive for like $300/year and it seems like good coverage for me.
My big issue with insurance is .... "What are they going to do for me?"
Everyone shops price, which is great until you need them and their call center in in India .......

After you shop price and narrow it down, call them and try to make a claim. See if you can get through or if you are talking to "Peggy"

· Registered
25 Posts
MC Insurance

I happen to use Progressive. I have been very pleased with their service. I've had two issues occur to me in the 11 years I've used them, and they have been very prompt, understanding, and great about getting things done.
Just my 2 cents.
roadduster

· Registered
280 Posts
I don't know about the best but State Farm gets my vote as the worst. I have good credit and not had a ticket for 20yrs and never had a claim with them yet they raised my rates on my Harley all the time. I bought the Vee and went in to insure it and they wanted $76 a month to insure it. That's more than my truck a month! Anyways I checked around and found Safeco for $22 a month for the Vee and $24 for the Harley that I was paying $36 a month for at State Farm. State farm was also very petty when I canceled them. This pushed me to cancel all my insurance with them. That's my 2 cents.

· Registered
1,309 Posts
find an insurance broker

i go with safeco, it was the best price for me and who and what all my other insurances are through...but the best thing is to find an insurance broker and tell them what you want, then they will give you the quote on all of the their insurances that they carry...

my SO even works for an insurance broker and they couldn't beat the price i am paying through my Safeco insurance...

· Registered
557 Posts
I don't know about the best but State Farm gets my vote as the worst. I have good credit and not had a ticket for 20yrs and never had a claim with them yet they raised my rates on my Harley all the time. I bought the Vee and went in to insure it and they wanted $76 a month to insure it. That's more than my truck a month! Anyways I checked around and found Safeco for $22 a month for the Vee and $24 for the Harley that I was paying $36 a month for at State Farm. State farm was also very petty when I canceled them. This pushed me to cancel all my insurance with them. That's my 2 cents.
I guess this goes to show what other people have said is true. It can vary even within the same company. I haven't priced in a little while, but if State farm adjusts anything it goes down for me. I will say agents can make a difference. We were forced to switch when our awesome agent I grew up knowing retired. The new agent and his staff was terrible. Never knew the answers to questions when I called. Needless to say we didn't stay with him long. And I have never had a single issue making a claim with them. Never really dealt with another company.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Agreed -- it varies too much to make a blanket recommendation, but make sure you check Dairyland/Sentry, too.

I've been very happy with their service and pricing:
https://www.dairylandcycle.com/motorcycle-insurance/

I've been happy with Progressive's service and pricing on my car policy, but their pricing on my bike policies is way outta line. YMMV.

A good friend of mine works for State Farm, and one of their internal principles is that "a successful company can choose its customers." I think this explains some of the company's seemingly inconsistent, bizarre treatment of different customers. It's impossible to tell what factors play a part, but you're either someone they want to keep or someone they want to go away. If you're the latter, you'll get poor service and rate increases until you leave, or even get cancelled outright.

· Premium Member
583 Posts
i use progressive speicalty vehical group , i paid $240 for the first year on my v-star and this year its going to cost me $159 for this coming year.

· Registered
118 Posts
I have had Progressive for several years on my cars and bikes. Their claim service has always been excellent, when I have been on the receiving end of an accident, or when someone in our family has been on the giving end (always seems to be one of the kids :confused:). I also like that they will provide road service if needed, a big plus as far as I am concerned.

· Premium Member
704 Posts
When I did my checking 2 years ago, Safeco came out on top for me. Lowest price and better coverage for accessories and riding gear. Dairyland and Geico were close seconds and Progressive a bit farther behind. Foremost, Markel, McGraw were also looked at, but their prices were way more.

· Registered
674 Posts
This may not be perfectly comparable, but we use Allstate, same as we do for our homeowner's policy and our car, and my wee (with comprehensive, and stepped up liability, and a $500 deductible covering bike and up to $2500 in farkles) came to $100/year.

· Registered
93 Posts
As noted above, there are a lot of variables involved in what you will be charged for insurance. For one person, Progressive may the be least expensive for given coverages, but the same coverages for someone else may be less expensive with GEICO. Also, just because someone says "I have full coverage" and it costs $300 per year -- don't think that your quote with the same or another company for $800 per year must be way off base.

I carry $500,000 CSL for liability and UM, I have med pay, and I have collision and comprehensive with low deductibles. That is my ful coverage. Someone else with no UM, higher collision and comp coverages (if they have them at all) and liability limits of $25,000, wiill hopefully pay less than me, if everything else (age, credit rating, location, type of bike, etc.) are the same.

The best thing to do is to shop around and see what prices are quoted to you for your circumstances.

· Registered
93 Posts
Another thing to ponder.
I just bought a goldwing. My insurance premium went up $800 per year (remember - I have high limits and low deductibles). If I sell my VFR, and keep the Wee and the Wing, the insurance premium only goes down $200. Weird.

· Registered
325 Posts
Well, you've gotten a lot of answers, but they seem to mostly be about cost. State farm has done well for me, and I believe it has a lot to do with your agent. Insurance is absolutly useless....until you need it. THEN you find out if it's good or not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.