StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best average fuel mileage you have gotten out of your glee? (whole tank fuel mileage) The best i have gotten once was 67.4. that tank was mainly exploring and rowing through the gears on back roads. gently lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeah, same here. My best tank was 67 mpg (U.S. gallons). Same story, back road riding mostly for that tank. Worst was 48 mpg. It was in the winter, and on the freeway. I average 59 mpg overall. It is really exceptional mileage for a 650. My burgman 400 from years ago averaged about 62mpg. My first bike, Ninja250 got about 69 mpg. Yamaha Fz1 I averaged about 44 mpg. KLR650 I got 52mpg. BMW s1000rr averages about 35mpg.
By the way, all the mileages I am reporting are based on calculation, not based on gauge. Glee's gauge tends to understate a little bit, so did my burgman's gauge. Suzuki is so modest. well, I know there's a speedometer error there. So not too far from the truth.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I keep seeing mention of 60-something mpg, and just can't fathom it. I don't ride hard at all, but for a whole tank, my best (since keeping track on fuelly.com) has been 53.5.

My last 7 tanks have ranged from 49.7 to 53.5. I can't imagine anything that would give me 10+ MPG more per tank, outside of a tailwind or drafting a truck for a whole tank.

My riding usually includes day trips and a weekday commute of about 8 miles, half 65mph highway, half 4 lane city traffic with about 5 stoplights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My riding usually includes day trips and a weekday commute of about 8 miles, half 65mph highway, half 4 lane city traffic with about 5 stoplights.
65 mph is not the most fuel efficient speed for vstrom, maybe that's why. From my experience, that best mileage for Vstrom happens around 40-45mph constant throttle. above 70mph, I generally get around 52-54 mpg or lower.

·
Registered
60 Posts
not easy to to 45 in Florida- anything under 75 - 80 is tough. I have seen my mpg drop with a GIVI Air flow- however- it is a work of Art....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes it seems the best mileage range is in the 40-45 mph area. i was also very ginger on my throttle barely taking it about 4k and hardly making the engine work. if you ask me i have the most fun on that bike at around 50 mph and just cruising on back roads and hitting the twisties at a mellow pace.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, the revs/speed factor is fundemental when it comes to mpg. The higher the revs, the more fuel will be used over a given distance.

Over here in Jersey, a small island 9x5 miles, with a speed limit of 40mph, the best mpg i've had is 58mpg, with an average of 54mpg. I use the bike every day to get to work, to get out to jobs, and getting home and to the shops. For a period of 2 months last year, I visited the same petrol station, kept my fuel receipts and made a note of how much fuel was put in and the mileage on the odometer for eash visit. From that information I was able to work out a precise mpg.

In top gear at 40mph, revs are at exactly 3k. But because of the small size of the island, there's a lot of stopping and starting, and so i don't get to cruise at 40mph much! If I could cruise at 40mph for a few hours, I reckon I could easily attain 65mpg+

The next time I take the bike over to france, where cruising at 55mph is easy on their national routes, without stopping and starting every two minutes, I'll take note of fuel consumption and mileage, and see what mpg I get.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I get 60 mpg frequently in the summer (09 wee), but thats usually on the BR parkway going 45mph. Motorcycles are very unaerodynamic and speed hurts mpg more than a car.

·
Registered
389 Posts
When I first bought my 2012 ADV model I kept getting 53MPG on a tank. After the Winter was about to hit and the temps dropped to low 40s and upper 30s my MPG went down to 47-48MPG. This season I started early with days that had temps in low 20s still around 46-47MPG. I also noticed that I'm more agressive with the bike shifting at 5K and often riding at 4-5K when in 5th gear. Seldom I go to 6th but when I do I'm at 65-70 mpH and then I get 45 MPG. I will try to remove my cases and take it easy to see how it affects the fuel consumption.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You guys have to understand that these mpgs of 60+ are not on the highway. I've gotten close to 65 putt-putting on dirt roads where I rarely exceeded 40mph. But then I've gotten as low as low 40s pushing a headwind across Nevada at 70-75 mph, too. It's a huge swing and depends on how you ride for that tank.

·
Registered
740 Posts
57+ mpg, mostly highway

I just rode from Winthrop, WA to Seattle, via Hwy 20 and Hwy 9 mostly. About 60% of this was at about 60 mph, the rest at 45-50. Using Google map directions for the distance, and pump receipts for the fuel, I got 57.34 mpg. A beautiful ride for about $15 of gas.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just had my fifth fill-up today, my first four were 44 mpg, 58.3mpg, 60.5 mpg and 61.2 mpg, for an average of 56.1 mpg. Two days a week are commuting 34 miles round trip, secondary roads where the speeds are 35-50 mph. One day a week is a 100-miler, about 20 of which is slab @ 65-80 mph, the rest is stop-n-go up to 35 mph. The other two days are 14-20 mile days, maxing out at 45 mph, two traffic lights. Bike is functionally stock, OEM windscreen on top setting, duffle bag strapped to the rack/pillion seat, no side cases.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't think I've ever averaged over 56 for a tank and I've gotten several at about 38.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't have a best, but my worst was 2 days ago. 300 miles into a stiff headwind at 75 mph. 35mpg. Ouch. But the Wee2 proved a great bike that it can do that with power to spare for passing. She's also rock solid stable in heavy winds from all directions. Not that I didn't get blown sideways etc, but that the bike never felt insecure or squirly. I was always in firm control, even from truck's windblast as our paths crossed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
After a tank, my trip computer usually says mid 50's. Fast highway brings it down, more secondary roads brings it up. Not 100% sure, but I'm starting to believe mid-grade gas (89 octane) gets me better mileage.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Last 3 -62, 64, 65, all calculated. Current display indicates 65 for the next fill, my low is 36 hit 3 times. My current riding is to hold no more than 55mph and 50 is better. I am using careful throttle control and cracking it just enough. I am on low traffic two lane highways posted 55. I used to ride a lot faster and still do in traffic but I am enjoying the luxury of the slow pace and find it much more enjoyable.:thumbup:

·
Registered
194 Posts
MY 2012 SUZUKI V Strom DL 650 ABS ADVENTURE

I have now a little over 11,000 miles on my V STROM DL 650 ABS ADVENTURE I took a trip to the lowcountry of South Carolina (WALTERBORO) APROX 125 miles one way on the way down I shifted gears at 3,500 rpm and my top speed was 60 mph on hwy 278 and hwy 64 when I stopped in walterboro I took a photo of my mpg one the way down I averaged 71.9 mpg on the way back I averaged 72 mpg and sure enough I checked it by math and guess what the MPG is correct.When I first purchaced the bike I was getting at best 60 mpg .I did make some changes to the bike I installed a K&N air & oil filter ,Installed the NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs,Changed my oil to the Max Cycle by Royal Purple.
and now I get 72mpg on 200 mile round trip.:jawdrop: Here are some photos that prove it.:yesnod:

:yikes:thats right 72mpg I just might keep this bike and not sell it to buy the new DL 1000 LIKE i HAVE PLANED TO DO:confused:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You still need to change the read out on the display to USA gallons, not IMP gallons. With the mpg showing on the display, hold the Adjust button down on the dash until the display changes from IMP to USA. Besides, for an accurate mpg calculation you need a few fill ups and to track the gallons used and the miles traveled. The mpg readout on the display is actually low once you set it right.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Buzz kill!

Yeah, I did that once and I was real impressed until I noticed I'd accidentally changed the setting. Darn!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts