StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

We´re two up on a dl650 (2006) touring South America on lots of gravel and pavement.

I´m trying to educate myself on fuel economy and getting maximum distance per tank. Sometimes its a long way between gas stations and if it means going slower that is fine.

I was having some trouble with fuel mileage (about 320 before getting low) but once I tighened the chain this made a big difference.

Yesterday day we drove about 360 majority on gravel and its doing very well, I would say I had at least another 20km. I thought going slow on gravel would use up more petrol but it doesn´t appear to be the case

On highways, whats the optimal speed to get best distance, does going 120km say use more fuel that distance covered?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Reece

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not too sure how much merit this has, but I remember running across this chart showing a particular speed vs MPG. I am more than certain that people will weigh in saying they have experienced things a little different, but I have gone by this in the summer, and it's "somewhat" accurate.

indicated speed / mpg / range in miles
45/70/400
55/57/330
65/48/275
75/42/240
85/37/215
95/34/195
100/32/185

P.S. sorry for the formatting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts