StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Craigslist is a great tool for buying or selling a bike, but one of its annoying features -- or lack thereof -- is the inability to search multiple areas with a single search.

Luckily, some enterprising programs have come along and developed separate sites to do just this. The last time I purchased a bike, I used searchtempest.com to find a good deal in a city 5 hours away.

Lately I've been doing some research for a spring Strom purchase, and I noticed searchtempest isn't working like it used to. It used to be I'd go in, type in my zip code and my search parameters, and it served up everything that matched in each city within my search radius. But now I can't even get it to run on Chrome and, even when I used another browser, I still have to search each city independently.

Does anyone have a suggestion for another craigslist search site?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I downloaded Qwilo for my iPhone. Does that allow an easy way to search multiple cities? As far as I've been able to determine, I still have to manually search each city. But I've only been playing with it for 20 minutes or so.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Try Ad Hunt'r - Classifieds Search Engine

Craigslist is a great tool for buying or selling a bike, but one of its annoying features -- or lack thereof -- is the inability to search multiple areas with a single search.

Luckily, some enterprising programs have come along and developed separate sites to do just this. The last time I purchased a bike, I used searchtempest.com to find a good deal in a city 5 hours away.

Lately I've been doing some research for a spring Strom purchase, and I noticed searchtempest isn't working like it used to. It used to be I'd go in, type in my zip code and my search parameters, and it served up everything that matched in each city within my search radius. But now I can't even get it to run on Chrome and, even when I used another browser, I still have to search each city independently.

Does anyone have a suggestion for another craigslist search site?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hear ya on the searchtempest, it's not as easy as to work with as it used to be.
I've been using cPro Craigslist on my iPhone. You need to pick the cities which you want to search (can't do a distance from zip code), but you can search multiple cities at the same time and the save your preferences/searches so once you set it up, it's easy to go back and look for different stuff.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If you're looking for a dual-sport bike, Bike Finds - every used dirt bike for sale! is rather spiffy. No V-Stroms, though. But it searches CrackList, fleaBay, and several other sources and puts them on a map for you. It's how I found my KLR650 -- it was listed in a small town CrackList in Illinois.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Have you tried downloading Firefox? SearchTempest should work with it; at least it did for me last time I used it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
For the PC this can be done via an RSS aggregator. I've had good luck with RSS Bandit. This isn't as elegant but works. One fringe benefit is that this saves the ads locally as per your setting, so that they can be reviewed after the ad is removed.
rssbandit.org

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you tried downloading Firefox? SearchTempest should work with it; at least it did for me last time I used it.
Actually, yes. Earlier in the year I discovered searchtempest wasn't working on Chrome, but I found it still worked on Firefox. But a couple months back, Firefox stopped working too.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Make sure you search the word "storm" as well. The number of people on CrackList and fleaBay selling a V-Strom or V-Strom parts who can't spell the word plastered on the side of the friggin' bike is astonishing.

Or maybe it's not astonishing. Depends on your general opinion of humanity, I guess.

I've scored some great deals from searching on common misspellings, although fleaBay and Google have gotten much better at figuring these out for you, so it isn't as much of an advantage these days.

And I think it's a law of some sort that you have to misspell the word "helmet". It's quite rare to see it spelled correctly and consistently.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Great tip bwringer!!! I just tried the "V-Storm" on my local CL. And guess what, a DL650 came up. :cool:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Craigslist now charges a few bucks to list a vehicle in effort to weed out the scammers. As a result, there’s a lot less vehicles listed than in the past.

Facebook marketplace is the new craigslist. Not just for vehicles, but for everything.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
"Facebook marketplace is the new craigslist. Not just for vehicles, but for everything. "

Absolutely everything. Fascinating choices.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts