Strom Trooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
I have a light weight Guardian cover I got at a cycle show years ago. It's light grey and I water proof it with nikwax. It's good for keeping the sun off the bike but works when it rains or in heavy dew. It weighs little and packs up small.
Them big ol' covers that shield the whole bike take up a lot of storage space in a top box or pannier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I generally park it when I drive to work.
So, it sits all days under some trees with a few hours of direct sunlight.

Am open to all suggestions (either full or half, expensive or cheap).

Just wondering what your reasons were for why you chose them, and how you feel about them after using?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I buy the cheap covers from Cycle Gear. Their usually on sale for $15.00 - $20.00 and they last for years (current cover is 5 years old)..BUT, I don't park my bike and cover it in extreme temperatures. That's what my garage is for.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The Nelson Rigg deluxe all season cover in XXL is a perfect fit for my Glee with a laminar lip, large topcase and large side saddlebags.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Covers or case

I am also exploring a cover or case looking at cycleshell as is have no garage and a small yard looking at reviews for other cases they have been bashed for lack of waterproofing or ease of use no floor etc currently have a Riggs bought online for now but would like something more substantial

·
Registered
964 Posts
I generally park it when I drive to work.
So, it sits all days under some trees with a few hours of direct sunlight.

Am open to all suggestions (either full or half, expensive or cheap).

Just wondering what your reasons were for why you chose them, and how you feel about them after using?
I cover my bike because it sits in direct sun at work all day, 5 days/week. If the sun's not baking it and UV fading the plastics, it's getting rained on. I camp off the bike so dew and overnight rain are an issue, too. I can store my helmet and jacket on the bike under the cover, too - even in the rain.

I use a "CoverMax" half cover, I think it was an XL size. It covers my fairing down to the turn signals and goes over a Bestem top box. I can get the top of my 21 L panniers under it, too, but the 36L panniers. It's held on by elastic around the edge and a strap goes down to each footpeg.

It's seam-sealed Sil-nylon underside - just like the rainfly on a tent. It's light and packs down into a sack about the size of a 1L Nalgene bottle.
It has kept my plastic looking like new, kept my RDL saddle dry, and keeps passers-by from swinging a leg over.

It's about 2 or 3 years old and has finally torn a little bit after flapping in the daily thunderstorm winds at work so I'm looking to replace it.

HERE IT IS

This is NOT something I'd use to cover a bike stored outside over the winter, or while being towed on an open trailer. It's just for keeping sun and rain off a parked bike for a portion of a day - it's made to be small and lightweight, not sturdy and bullet-proof.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
The Nelson Rigg deluxe all season cover in XXL is a perfect fit for my Glee with a laminar lip, large topcase and large side saddlebags.

+1

$38 on Amazon. Nelson-Rigg MC-904-05-XX Deluxe All-Season Motorcycle Cover (Black, XX-Large)

It has the soft material on the inside for the windshield and a couple of small bungee cords with hooks. I think other than "it works", what I like best is that it comes in a compression sack, and all compressed down, I keep it in my tank bag when traveling.

·
Registered
705 Posts
+1

$38 on Amazon. Nelson-Rigg MC-904-05-XX Deluxe All-Season Motorcycle Cover (Black, XX-Large)

It has the soft material on the inside for the windshield and a couple of small bungee cords with hooks. I think other than "it works", what I like best is that it comes in a compression sack, and all compressed down, I keep it in my tank bag when traveling.
Thanks for the info. Was looking for something for using in the winter to keep the dust off in the garage, looks like a decent price deal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
BILT from Cycle Gear, fits over my DL650 with Givi top case and bags, just fine. Same problem as ALL covers, it's almost impossible to fold them back the same way to store in the provided pouch......so I just "stuff" mine in a bag.......

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
I have a cover from Wally World, the Wolf in XL. I've had it for years. I use it in the garage and when traveling. It has been abused, just wadded up wet or dry and stuffed in the sack. It isn't 100% waterproof, more like water resistant. I have side cases and a top case (Trax) and the XL fits fine.

I picked up another figuring the first was going fail but it never has. This one is called a Sportsman from Budge Industries (size XL) but the box looks the same to me and the cover looks the same too. It was still $20 and change with tax.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for posting this info. If you did not have the top case, would you still recommend the size XXL? I have a 2013 650 with 37L Givi side cases, but no top case. I was wondering if a size XL might be better for my bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts