StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Large cover from autoanything and it sucks. It's not nearly large enough for what I was wanting. I have a top box, and pelican side boxes.

Anybody have a good recommendation for a cover that will cover everything and not be to sloppy with excess fabric.

Photo responses encouraged! Thanks. -Dirt

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I bought the "cheapo" $30 BikeBandit cover in XL size (biggest one they sell). It fits the Strom perfectly, even with my Pelican side bags and Bestem top case. For a "cheap" cover, it's great, and squishes down into a small pouch so you can stash it without eating up very much storage space in your luggage. I would totally get another one if and when this one shows signs of UV deterioration. I've put it on after turning the bike's motor off, and thought that hot spots would burn thru - with my crash guards and bags, the cover is held at bay from heat damage. Perfect for those work days, where you don't want the sun beating your plastic to bleached out powder! No sense in buying a spendy cover, since the sun will destroy even the best cover in time, and spendy covers are usually so bulky, they take up too much room - which causes them to never be used while doing your commutes/workdays.

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikebandit-com-motorcycle-cover

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've had the cheap XL cover from walmart for years and used it for several different bikes, it fits large bikes with bags on like the v-strom. Heck it fits over my goldwing.

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
I've had the cheap XL cover from walmart for years and used it for several different bikes, it fits large bikes with bags on like the v-strom. Heck it fits over my goldwing.
+1 on the cheap Walmart cover.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I sprung for the Dowco WeatherAll Plus Adventure Touring model and it fits my bike with Caribou side bags perfectly. I always cover my bike when it's parked at home (no garage) and the Dowco stands up to the rottenest of weather. BUT, it's too bulky to haul with ya.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I sprung for the Dowco WeatherAll Plus Adventure Touring model
. . . yeah I had a few questions about sizes when I ordered mine. I noticed that the XL and the Adventure Touring were the only sizes that had the exact same price. I called both motorcycle-superstore and Dowco (just to see if they agreed) . . said an adventuring touring size *IS* just an XL.

anyway . . . . surprised you love the fit; yours cover the rear sprockets >?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus vs. Nelson Rigg Defender 2000

Dowco Weatherall Plus - is what I use, it's definitely a heavy all-weather type of cover - - so it's a bit bulky when it's rolled up.

I got the XL and I have small givi side cases and top case, doesn't cover the rear wheel completely, didn't bother return it but if I had to do it agian i'd definitely get the XXL.

Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus Cover - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
Thanks for the tip on the size. Most of the sizing charts don't take into account saddle bags and top cases unless they are standard with the bike, like Goldwings. I bought the XXL size Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus in XXL and I can cover the front tire completely and a only a few inches are bare on the rear. So, I'd say it's 95% covered and protected from rain and sun. For the record, my bike is a 2012 V-Strom 650 with a Givi E45NJ 45 liter top case and Happy Trails Denali, Clif-Cut aluminum side bags.

The proper sizing of covers, I've discovered the hard way, is essential, unless you don't mind your bike being tossed over by the wind as 2 of my bikes have in the last 5 years. Both times there were lots of pieces broken. Estimated wind speeds of 25mph (by the weather station) were enough to slam the V-Strom on it's side, right on the side walk curb. The bottom of the cover was not secure and it only came down to cover maybe 3/4 of the side bags, which are now completely covered with the XXL Dowco.

As others have stated, if the bottom of the cover is not secure, wind can pass through the whole cover and create a sail. Remember, sails are meant to move, and so will your bike if the winds are strong enough and your cover isn't secure, which can happen if it's too small.

Moral of the story, get a cover that will completely, or almost completely cover your steed and make sure the bottom of the cover is secure with a strap, bungee, etc. Some covers, like the Guardian, have them integrated.

Having both a Nelson Rigg Defender 2000 and now the Dowco Guardian, I'll say this. The Nelson Rigg feels more substantial. Heavier materials. Whether that means more durable, I can't say.

It doesn't however, have any integrated means of securing the bottom, although the grommet holes that are included could be used to hold the sides together with a bungee, lock or strap of your choosing that YOU supply. The Dowco has a strap sewn in and there are the grommets as well, which you could use to lock or tie the bottom together.

Both carry a lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps at least one of you out there decide on a cover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
$14 Dust cover for 2012 650 ABS Adventure with top and side boxes

I wanted a dust cover for a 2012 V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure with the black OEM top and side boxes. On eBay, I bought the "Motorcycle Cover Waterproof Cruiser Touring Bike Storage Scooter Motorbike GM3BS" from seller "globalwing," who claims "over 2300 sold." It cost $13.87 including shipping and arrived in Los Angeles quickly.

It's a snug fit, too snug really, but I'll use it as the price was right and it goes over the big black OEM top and side boxes and covers both back and front fenders. I keep my bike in an underground garage near a large grated vent window which allows strong winds to blow through the garage.

I'd have preferred it to be bigger and lower to the ground, but it will prevent the settling dust, but not blown around dust from going up and under the cover. I also have a small Ninja under a cover that touches the ground. I would have preferred a fit like that.

I don't expect I'll have any UV or rain feedback to provide.

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
Zow, you guys with the big covers. I have a cheap-o Guardian cover that fits over my windshield and top box and partially covers the bags. I treated it with Nikwax waterproofing and it does a decent job of keeping the seat dry.
if you are not looking to provide complete bike coverage the Guardian does an admirable job. It balls up into a small package when putting away too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
UPDATE: It was too tight and didn't go low enough. So, I bought a bigger one on eBay, which fits much better.
$20 "Motorcycle Cover BMW K1200LT/CL/RT/K1200GT Touring d3201n1" by seller njiusa.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts