StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, What seems to be the best two up communication system?. It seems only normal that you would want to talk to your "passenger", so what are you guys using to do this?. Using a balance between quality and price whats the best bet?.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Scala Rider teamset from Cardo Wireless.
No wires. Links to cell phone and / or GPS. Great battery life (7 hours talk days and days on standby). Don't know it fitted it just works.
And on top of that you can use them bike-bike if you are riding with another person, they work up to about 20 metres range.
Went for a 100 mile ride yesterday with SWMBO on her bike and me on mine and we chatted regularly during the ride including important things like where to stop for coffee and which was the best twisty road to take.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Scala Rider teamset from Cardo Wireless.
No wires. Links to cell phone and / or GPS. Great battery life (7 hours talk days and days on standby). Don't know it fitted it just works.
And on top of that you can use them bike-bike if you are riding with another person, they work up to about 20 metres range.
Went for a 100 mile ride yesterday with SWMBO on her bike and me on mine and we chatted regularly during the ride including important things like where to stop for coffee and which was the best twisty road to take.
So you have to have a bluetooth cellphone or GPS to take advantage of this?

·
Registered
597 Posts
after checking out the website, it looks like they carry an adapter for cell phones that dont support bluetooth. But a cell phone seems to be a critical component.

the adapter for non-bluetooth cell phones was $50
the kit for 2 people to talk together was $280

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi, What seems to be the best two up communication system?. It seems only normal that you would want to talk to your "passenger", so what are you guys using to do this?. Using a balance between quality and price whats the best bet?.
Heh I thought the reason most people bought bikes is to NOT have to communicate with the passenger.. :D

Somebody was going to say it I dont see why it should not have been me. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
So you have to have a bluetooth cellphone or GPS to take advantage of this?
If you want to connect to a cell phone or GPS then they need to have Bluetooth. If you just want to talk rider->passenger then the two units in the set are already paired all you have to do is fit them to the helmets (2 minutes each helmet, no damage to the helmet)and turn them on. Don't forget to charge the batteries first of course.
When riding you just talk to activate the communication, after about 20 seconds of silence the units go back to sleep. I find that the easiest thing to do is say one word to get the units to wake up (I usually say "hello") then start talking.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If you want to connect to a cell phone or GPS then they need to have Bluetooth. If you just want to talk rider->passenger then the two units in the set are already paired all you have to do is fit them to the helmets (2 minutes each helmet, no damage to the helmet)and turn them on. Don't forget to charge the batteries first of course.
When riding you just talk to activate the communication, after about 20 seconds of silence the units go back to sleep. I find that the easiest thing to do is say one word to get the units to wake up (I usually say "hello") then start talking.
Oh cool. Then that is definitely a good setup. I thought you needed to hook it up to your cellphone. I thought that would be a PITA.

How do you feel about the sound quality?

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Heh I thought the reason most people bought bikes is to NOT have to communicate with the passenger..
I felt exactly the same way until I actually tried talking to the passenger or another rider. It's amazing how something that I have relied on for 35 years (silence) so quickly becomes a crazy idea.
The original concept behind purchasing the teamset was so we could communicate with our children when they are pillions. Modern children don't understand silence and they tend to be a little nervous about things like sudden manoeuvres or changed traffic conditions. Instantly the ability to say that we are going left or are you okay or did you see that Ferrari going the other way opened up a whole new pleasure to riding.
You don't need to have a detailed theoretical discussion about the latest developments in nano technology while you are riding, in fact you don't need to talk very much at all the the fact that you can communicate when you need to is terrific and well worthwhile.
As far as sound quality is concerned 130kph (about 80 mph) works fine, haven't tried any faster. My mobile phone reception is better than the hands free kit in my car and many people I have spoken to do not realise that I'm on the bike when we are talking (if I don't want to I just turn the Bluetooth on the off).

·
Registered
63 Posts
My wife and I have a variety of hand signals that communicate everything from "Cop ahead" to the "pee pee dance." I've never really seen a need for a communications system. Honestly, we both enjoy talking about our individual sights and experiences at the end of the day or on breaks.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I use the Starcom 1 Advance and love it.

Before we got it when my wife and I were riding, at a stop, I'd say something like "did you see that big house up on the hill?" and she'd respond with " No, I didn't see it, did you see that taco stand down near the beach?" And I'd say "no". Seems like without it my wife and I were sitting in silence having two different rides as she would be looking to the left as I would be looking to the right or visa versa.

With the Starcom it's made the rides much more fun for sightseeing. Not to mention it's good for her that I can give her a warning that I'm about to pass a slower car, etc.

When it's only me on the bike I can plug in a small radio to listen to the news and weather on my way to work, and of course some good music. My commute is about an hour and traffic really isn't an issue as I cross an empty desert.

With the Starcom I have the option of plugging in my cell phone too but I opt not to 99% of the time. There's not many times when a phone call coming in or going out can't wait an hour for me to get where I'm going.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Heh I thought the reason most people bought bikes is to NOT have to communicate with the passenger.. :D

Somebody was going to say it I dont see why it should not have been me. :twisted:
LOL, when the ex-wife used to ride pillion with me and if she made me mad or needed to shut up, i'd tap a brake or make a sloppy shift so her helmet would smack into mine :p. that's communication :cool: .

frye

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Seems like without it my wife and I were sitting in silence having two different rides as she would be looking to the left as I would be looking to the right or visa versa.

With the Starcom it's made the rides much more fun for sightseeing. Not to mention it's good for her that I can give her a warning that I'm about to pass a slower car, etc.
I agree entirely as I said earlier. I suspect that those people who say things like "ride in silence" or "we have hand signals" are generally coming from the side of never having tried to actually communicate with a pillion. Life is full of change and IMO this is actually one of the better ones.
What needs to be remembered here is the pillion. Generally they are far less experienced on a bike than the rider, they are always on the back with a usually restricted view of the road ahead and they have no idea what is happening when the bike suddenly accelerates, decelerates or swerves.
Forums like this often have threads about how riders (generally male) would love to have a bike riding partner but that partner is too nervous or just "does not like riding". Well think of it from their point of view for a change, riding on the back of a bike can be both boring and scary. Being able to share information at the time it happens can go a long way towards overcoming both of those problems.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Autocomm. Go to www.Autocommamerica.com They have the Easi 7 on sale for $129. Great Deal!!! I ordered 2 for different bikes. I have the Pro 7 on the wee and it's great. I also ordered an adapter for the Easi 7 to add bike to bike functionality. Best performance and best price with the sale.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Communications

1) If you have a lot of wind noise, it will be tough to get any intercom system to work. Make sure you have a decent fairing in place before installing an intercom.

2) The AutoComm is popular in the US.

3) If you're doing group rides, having bike to bike comms is pretty important. You need to warn other riders where the road turns off , when you're stopping to take a Pee and where you'll meet the group up the road, Wally got a flat! and "Hey, that looks like a good place for lunch". Typically, all Gold Wings and truckers are on CB. All the rest are using the GMRS radios.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I copied this from a previous post of mine. It might work well for this also. You can use it for intercom as well as rider to rider. They work well at speed also.

I have a few buddys at work I ride with and the wife from time to time. So I just needed a simple system. I bought a FRS/GMRS radio at Dick's Sporting goods that has a 5 Watt transmitter. About $60 for the charger, batts, Radio and headset. The headset is not designed for a bike, but Midland makes a closed face helmet head set with PTT. So for another $45 I got that. The PTT mounts to the handle bar with velcro, the mike and headphone mount to your helmet via Velcro and fit great. On high power I can easily reach 5 miles under normal circumstances, more if I were in South Dakota with no hills. I have found out a few things though.

Don't use VOX. It is too sensitive, even when adjusted. This is because once the mike is open it picks up any noise and holds it open. It also wastes battery. Set it to use PTT, and get on a good freq with a squelch code. Also turn on Roger Beeps, so people know when your done talking.

FRS is limited to only .5 watt, so it isn't good for much distance. I went with the GMRS range which can go as high as 50 Watts. BUT you really should get a FCC license for this. I don't think anyone checks though.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have had a NADY intercom for almost 20 years, I think.
I believe they still sell this basic unit.

The Vox works well on most faired bikes I have owned, badly on every unfaired bike.
The boom mic/speaker assembly has worked in most helmets, but in a few it was uncomfortable.
We have nearly strangled ourselves or had mishaps numerous times forgetting to unplug before dismounting.

The FM part of it is useless, but as an intercom to let your passenger talk to you (note how I phrased that :rolleyes:)
it has worked quite well and I think I bought mine for around $30-40 20 years ago and it still works.

Is it the "best", I seriously doubt it, but it does work and the $ per mile has been cheap.

·
Registered
45 Posts
NYrider67

I am interested in your set up for bike to bike. Where are the speakers on this Midland headset???? The speakers for you to hear the other people? Are they included in the headset??? I guess I dont really understand. Can you explainn further?

Do you have a link for these Midland sets?
Thanks, Riz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts