StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been quite some time since my last chained bike, and I was wondering if I could get the recommendations of the group on good chain lubes... :?:

·
Registered
47 Posts
DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - Inexpensive, available (Lowe's), dry, easy to apply minimum road crap loadup. Great for the this ex-shaft guy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is like oil - lots of anecdotal opinions, no hard data.

Mine: In the shop, clean withi WD40, then 90W gear oil, then wiped down. On the road, the Dupont Teflon stuff.

Which BTW, isn't a "chain lube" - it's "multi-use lubricant". A few people started using it a year or two ago and then it got a positive writeup in some ezine, so everybody climbed on the bandwagon. I have no idea if it works that well, but it goes on easily, doesn't seem to attract dirt, and seems to work fine. And the price is right. (My opinion on o-ring chains is that the lubricant is non-critical - what you want is someting to keep rust/corrosion at bay without attracting dirt.)

- Mark

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
+1 for Maxima Gold Chain Wax.

Clean with kerosene (in an old windex bottle works great) and a Grunge Brush. Spray down with Maxima and she stays clean and pretty for 600-800 niles of hard riding.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussing religion, politics, best oil, best tires, best chain lube, etc., are all something I avoid since the "answers" extend an entire spectrum and they are endless discussions that come down to a personal preference based on how you live, er, ride. :roll: That said, my chains only see BELRAY Super Clean. IMHO, whatever you use, just USE IT and keep that chain maintained. :wink:

Stromette

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
I deal ONLY with hard facts and evidence.....therefore, the Dupont Teflon Lube is the BEST stuff for our chains. No mess, repels water, lasts as long as wax and other sprays...endorsed by Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson!
Nuff said!!!!! :lol:

By the way....I have tried them all!!!! :wink:

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
STROMETTE said:
Big B said:
.endorsed by Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson!
Don't the Ohio State Buckeyes endorse that stuff too? :wink:
I knew that I missed somebody!!!!! :lol:

Honestly....the Dupont stuff is GREAT! Any sceptics out there....give it a trial and see. ALL of my rollers, move as if they were new and my orings always seem lubricated. Did a 1500 mile trip using this stuff, I only lubed up twice during the trip. My chain is clean as a whistle, and the tension hasn't changed in 3 thousand miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
sasquatch said:
Tomb said:
DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - Inexpensive, available (Lowe's), dry, easy to apply minimum road crap loadup. Great for the this ex-shaft guy.
+1. I started using this stuff last year on my R1 and really liked it. Minimal fling, doesn't attract crud, and relatively inexpensive. I like the fact that I can pick it up at any number of big box discounters....

....and I like the rattle-y thing in the can.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
+ 1 for the Dupont Multi-use teflon stuff- used it on the VFR I had previously with great results- continuing to use on the Strom.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
PJ1 Chain Lube. Not because it's better. It's because it has "synthetic sperm oil" in it. :D

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
This is what I use, from Sidewinder Sprockets and Chains.

Some one on another forum said it was made by some one else and that you could get it cheaper. But I forgot what it was. It absorbs right up and is not sticky at all, so it does not get gunky and muddy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a Scottoiler fitted, no need to worry about forgeting to lube, just adjust the delivery dependant on weather conditions.

http://www.scottoiler.co.uk/

Used it on my SV for three years, still the original drive gear and still no signs of undue wear after 14,000 miles :lol:

The FS365 spray is brilliant, use it all over the bike to protect it.

And no, I do not work for them and am not on commision :wink:

J

·
0 Posts
giddyup on the maxim chain wax. i keep the chain well loobed, rarely clean it and get ~16k from a chain. i've tried some of the teflon loob and wasn't too hip on it for some reason. not that it didn't work, i just think loob should be greasy and lubricating. :)

being an over-loober and using the chain wax does cause some sppoge build-up under the counter-sprocket cover. periodically cleaning this area is critical - especially if the spooge starts affecting the clutch cylinder.

jason

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
+1 BelRay Super Clean - no fling and not gobs of gunk to clean out of front sprocket area. Long chain life, yada yada yada (isn't a chain lube discussion like a thread on the best oil, tires, religion, politics?) Just use something whatever you decide..too many sad looking chains on the roads in need of some lube! :wink:

Stromette

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wurth Dry Chain Lube!
MCN (UK) tested every lube on the market under Lab conditions....the Wurth blew the lot away by a very wide margin!
And zero fling....yes, you read it right. It's the lube I waited all my life for!
8)
Probably unavailable in the US though! :lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts