StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok we know boots are important and you can spend $250-$300 easily. But I don't have that to spend, yet I want some protection for Adv riding. I'm looking at spending around $100 give or take.

I am seriously considering the Tour Master WP air boots (they have 3 versions I think), they look nice and they are in my budget.

I mostly ride in warm to hot weather, but some cold. I ride for recreation, not commuting. Most of my ride are about 2-4 hours total both ways, sometimes more.

I spend most time on pavement, but I do like to go to the mountains, explore, would like to do some camping. Being able to walk a little in the boots would be nice.

Mostly in dry conditions, occasionally I get stuck in the odd storm. I could just put some boot covers on whatever I get.

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
I bought the Tour Master WP air boots a month ago to compliment my Forma ADV tall. Needed something cooler for the over 80 days. So far I like them. A descent boot for the money. Reviews were mostly positive

Reactions: Barnaby’sDad

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
Good protection. Comfortable. Money is really not in the equation considering what you have invested in riding money wise (bike$, time&, etc). For $100 you are not going to find a lot that have function over appearance, You may have luck in the used market. IMHO $100 is not going to get you much in a boot that truly provides good protection for off road if you are looking at new.

I had on Sidi Adventure Goretex and still broke my fibula in a relatively innocuous get off and lost a season of riding.

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about these used Alpinestar Gore Tex? They will be kind of hot in the summer but not a big deal. I see some abrasion on top of one of the boots. What about the leather becoming soft over time? A concern or not with these?

Good protection. Comfortable. Money is really not in the equation considering what you have invested in riding money wise (bike$, time&, etc). For $100 you are not going to find a lot that have function over appearance, You may have luck in the used market. IMHO $100 is not going to get you much in a boot that truly provides good protection for off road if you are looking at new.

I had on Sidi Adventure Goretex and still broke my fibula in a relatively innocuous get off and lost a season of riding.

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
Looks like they would suit your needs pretty good. I am not too worried about cosmetic defects. The beauty of Goretex is the lifetime guarantee for waterproofness.
When you try them on, stand in water to test the waterproof capacity.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got those for Alpinestars for $50 on ebay. Waiting for them to get here now. I'll keep my eyes out for a pair that is better for the hot weather, too. Keep my eyes our for the right deal. The used market is pretty hot. I just saw a pair of Dainese Boots on FB marketplace for $40, the newer version of that boot is about $500. BUt the guy is 300 miles away and doesn't want to ship even if I pay the extra, just wants a local deal.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Ok we know boots are important and you can spend $250-$300 easily. But I don't have that to spend, yet I want some protection for Adv riding. I'm looking at spending around $100 give or take.

I spend most time on pavement, but I do like to go to the mountains, explore...
You need actual ADV / dual sport boots if you go off pavement. The chance of dropping your bike increases dramatically. Typically you wind up underneath it. You want boots that will protect your foot/ankle, trust me!

It's false economy to buy cheap gear. Yea there's diminishing returns but $300 spent on boots may save you from spending a.lot.more at an ER.

I wear actual enduro off-road type boots all the time because I don't see a difference between smashing my foot on a rock or a car's bumper!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just bought TourMaster WP but not the air version, thought the leather ones would last and look decent longer if the fabric gets dirty. My first MC specific boots as I always wore good GoreTex hiking boots.

So far I like them and are comfortable but honestly I think my heavy solid leather hiking boots provide almost as much protection. The one area that is better is the hard cap over ankle bones on the MC boot.

On sale and had extra 10% off email from Dennis Kirk so boots were $90 with free shipping so a great price. One of the few MC boots available in a wide version which is necessary for me.

Thinking of a full dirt bike boot for riding my Yamaha XT225 off road if I can find any to fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My buddy has purchased these. We ride all pavement atm. He just had to replace them because the soles were getting thin After a few years. Tried the joe rocket and the sole literally came apart on both boots on the first long ride.

i have a set of sidi’s this is my second pair. My 3rd pair of riding boots in 35 years.When you get into that 225+ range the quality really jumps. Youll get your money spent back in safety and longevity.

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
I don't skimp on helmets or boots......but hey that's me. The Alpine Stars boots you bought are great "touring" boots, I have an old pair collecting dust in the garage and they served me well in the past. I love the adventure style boots now, they are taller and provide more protection than touring or commuting boots. Goretex isn't hotter, matter of fact it allows your body or feet to breathe better all the while being waterproof. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've been through 3 sets of Tour Master Solution 2.0 WP Boots in 4 years and I put about 12-17k miles on whatever I have a year. Set one got to the point that the soles are wearing through so I bought a second pair on super closeout friend of a parts guy price. Set 2 was a redesign and the zipper failed within a year. Set 3 was a warranty replacement for set 2 and now this one has failed on the stitch seam where your ankle is on the back of the boot. I've sewn in a new stitch but this is a very short term bandaid.

Set 1 has had no stitching or other failures, but whatever redesign happened with these boots has really tanked the quality. I would not buy another set of them. Failures of the boot have been happening for me within a year to two years and I've just kinda given up on them. I don't know if it's because I layer in the colder months or if it's just poorly made, but I'm voting for "don't make em like they used to".

I HAVE been in two different low side accidents with these boots and they did a fantastic job protecting my feet and ankles though. So, I guess they have that going for them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
this is a good deal if you are a size 7.

if not, keep an eye on their closeouts, I've gotten many a good deal from them

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would say whatever you decide on make sure and try them on first. I tried several and most of them were so uncomfortable I knew I wouldn’t wear them. I finally decided on some Forma adventure low boots. They were by far the most comfortable of all the boots I tried. A quick search new, looks like on the cheaper side $166.40 but you might be able to get them cheaper on ebay or digging a little deeper than I did.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts