StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

As I continue to prepare for my lap around OZ, I was wondering which GPS would best suit my cause. I don't need many features, just want to know how to navigate through some towns. I will have 12 Volt Cigarette Lighter Outlet near handlebars.
Obvious weatherproof, ease of use, accuracy and $$ are my requirements.

Cheers

Flash

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
A "motorcycle" GPS will be more expensive than a basic GPS. You can always slide a condom over the GPS to make it waterproof.

I have a Strike bike GPS for which, unfortunately, one has to buy over-priced map updates. I'd look for a GPS which comes with free updates.

A bike GPS will provide Bluetooth to a helmet receiver.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Garmin GPS

Hi. I've had 2 Tom Toms and a Strike. All sold as motorbike models. I will never buy anything Tom Tom again. The warranty does not exist. And I found the Strike to be just "all too hard". What works best and economical is: I have a car Garmin Nuvi, about $110, and on eBay there are Motorbike Jackets available for around $28. And I mount this configuration with a RAM Mount to the centre of my handlebars and power from the 12 volt power outlet. Map Updates so far have been all free from Garmin. Great!!!!
Now the downside. The touch screen is hampered by the Jacket and our gloves. And the configuration is not waterproof and if rain starts whilst riding the jacket fogs up pretty quick.
All is not lost. What I do and I am happy to do it. Start the bike, and before riding off, I key in my destination on the Garmin and I carefully put the GPS back in the Jacket. Don't touch the screen again as the Garmin will do its own thing and ask for more instructions. The Garmin will happily run on our Power Outlet and it displays a real Speed across the Ground. Great for checking my speed at Red Light Cameras, School Zones etc.
At end of section when stopped I can estimate the next rides distance etc. And if it looks like heavy rain I can put the Garmin away at anytime and keep it dry.
Another option is to only use the Garmin if looking for fuel, hotels, addresses etc when you get to a city or town. All up about $150 and Garmin warranty and service does exist. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Cheapest would be to use your cellphone and pair it to your communication system.

I use that, and an ancient tomtom one installed on a 2$ ebay bracket.

·
Registered
528 Posts
A "motorcycle" GPS will be more expensive than a basic GPS. You can always slide a condom over the GPS to make it waterproof.
i second that. Motorcycle specific gps's are way more $. I use an older garmin nuvi that i paid around $100 several years ago. I haven't tried the condom, but there are several other methods. They do sell waterproof cases that fit various sizes, starting around $20 or so. What i did was use clear silicone caulking around all the seams and holes. The few times i've ridden in a heavy rain, i put it in a ziplock baggie to be extra safe.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Chinese GPS

There are also those 120$~ chinese gps that are waterproof and can play videos or mp3s.
Never have heard of them. Do you have a link or name?

Still use a nuvi on my bikes. Heavy rain, either a plastic bag or stick it in my pocket for a while. I can actually live without it. :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
Cheapest would be to use your cellphone and pair it to your communication system.
Depending on one's phone plan, data can be very expensive in Oz so using, say, Google Maps, might cost a lot. Some plans charge $2/Mb, the one I'm on costs 10c/Mb so I have mobile data turned off.

Having said that, I do have a standalone GPS program on my phone. As the OP is in Oz, maybe look at MetroView for the Android or iPhone. It costs A$15 and has regular free updates. See MetroView Systems Pty Ltd

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Depending on one's phone plan, data can be very expensive in Oz so using, say, Google Maps, might cost a lot. Some plans charge $2/Mb, the one I'm on costs 10c/Mb so I have mobile data turned off.

Having said that, I do have a standalone GPS program on my phone. As the OP is in Oz, maybe look at MetroView for the Android or iPhone. It costs A$15 and has regular free updates. See MetroView Systems Pty Ltd
I only use the gps antenna 0:)

Standalone ftw!

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
OsmAnd is a good GPS app for smart phones and it does not need a cell signal to work. Free and easy to use.

Put it in your pocket and either pair it with your headset or run a set of earbuds and you are good to go.

Rod

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Don't know much about which GPS is best but I used a cigarette style power outlet for my first GPS. After about 50 to 75 miles the connection would wiggle enough that the GPS would constantly be powering off, restart, cycle through the opening ceremony, then start the entire cycle over again. Maddening!
I finally got a more specific and secure connection that solved the problem.

·
Registered
332 Posts
ALDI

If ALDI runs them on a sale, their motorcycle SatNav is cheap but quite good.

If you install a SatNav, I'd run power from the battery - more secure and less annoying in the long run.

I've had three - an ALDI, a Garmin 590 (upgraded on SUZI) and now a Garmin 690 on SUZI II - the 590 went west with SUZI.

Doug

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Hello,

As I continue to prepare for my lap around OZ, I was wondering which GPS would best suit my cause. I don't need many features, just want to know how to navigate through some towns. I will have 12 Volt Cigarette Lighter Outlet near handlebars.
Obvious weatherproof, ease of use, accuracy and $$ are my requirements.

Cheers

Flash

Try searches for Reconditioned or used ZUMO 500. I've been using mine for 8 or 9 years now. They made them a long time for a good reason. They are reliable and bullet proof. You should be able to find one for $200 - $300.

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
If ALDI runs them on a sale, their motorcycle SatNav is cheap but quite good.
I had an Aldi unit, it was identical to my Strike, probably from the same factory. Unfortunately, it was the early one with the woeful Route 66 software. The software might have suited a car but it was not glove friendly and the text was too small to read when the GPS was on the handlebars.

My Strike uses the NaviExtras software.

·
Adventure Traveler
293 Posts
I have two basic GPS units (Garmin Nuvi 2455). They have been all over the US & Canada, over 100,000 miles between the two in all kinds of weather, including torrential rain. Bought them on Amazon for ~$100. I waterproofed them with silicone. I also use a sun hood over the GPS which also blocks rain. There is a YouTube video on how to waterproof a basic unit. Takes 10 to 20 minutes.

I use one at a time, one as a backup.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Smartphone you don't need a plan. We always carry two - have never needed the backup.
Good for many other things as well. Zip lock waterproofs just fine.

A must have for your trip tho IMNSHO...
http://themicrostart.com

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Don't know much about which GPS is best but I used a cigarette style power outlet for my first GPS. After about 50 to 75 miles the connection would wiggle enough that the GPS would constantly be powering off, restart, cycle through the opening ceremony, then start the entire cycle over again. Maddening!
I finally got a more specific and secure connection that solved the problem.
Strage,

Before I got my Zumo(s) I had a Garmin 60Cx (I think it was.) I had a cheapy cigarette lighter plug (from Canadian tire) that would work flawlessly until it started rusting (and then got replaced.) It may have been the orientation as it was sitting vertically but nothing in it ever came unplugged. I literally used it for over 100,000 miles o nmy bike (and many hours on my Ultralight Airplane.)

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
421 Posts
Unless you have an outdoor specific GPS, the sunlight on the screen becomes almost unusable in direct sunlight. Thats the only reason I went to the more expensive GPS.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts