StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Just joined the Stromtrooper Forum today and thought I would test the waters.

I just purchased a 2007 DL650 Vstrom yesterday that appears to be in good shape except for one small detail. The kickstand appears to be bent. The former owner had a 4 X 4 wood block under the stand. I thought this was rather odd, but the rest of the bike looked OK and the price was right, so I went through with the purchase.

I did a little research (this site and others) and it appears that the side stand is somewhat an Achilles heal for this bike. I looked at the OEM replacement parts, and noticed there is a side stand (~$85) and a side stand mount (~$57). It's really hard to tell from looking at it which piece (or if both) is bent. I would rather not purchase both pieces if only one is bent. Has anyone else had this problem? Between the two pieces (stand and mount), which piece is most likely to be damaged?

Thanks,

Indianaboyd

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been riding strom not very long but reading everything strom for a while. I haven't experienced or read of a weakness in the side stand.

Installing a skid plate, which I did, involves unbolting the side stand mount. It looks very strong to me. the stand itself is welded tube and rod (I think) my guess weaker than the mount but still not a weakness.

people who know more will probably answer too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
it's probably only a weak point if you're heavyset and spending a lot of time sitting on the bike with the side stand down.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
The former owner had a 4 X 4 wood block under the stand.
Those measurements are more like the size of a log, then a block of wood! Can you add a photograph or two? That would be helpful.

My best guess is, something has happened to the sidestand, but not the mount.

B.L.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
If the sidestand is bent it would be obvious by looking at it from the rear, and also by the fact that the foot isn't flat on the ground. If the mount is bent it would be obvious by testing to see if the sidestand moves a good amount from side to side.

My guess is that someone along the line put lowering links on it and then had the sidestand shortened. Then someone else along the line put original length links back in which would make the sidestand seem too short.

·
Registered
981 Posts
The other thing you may want to check for is loose side stand bolts. If someone put a center stand or skid plate on, and didn't use loctite or torque them enough, the mounting bolts can work themselves loose, adding extra "lean".
If they are tight, then it is very possible that someone shortened the stand (which already allows for quite a bit of lean to begin with). You might measure the length from the foot to pivot and post it for comparison.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
OK. Here are some pics (use link below). Please note that I have a 4" block under the side stand and the bike is leaning slightly to the left (about where is should be).

Vstrom Side Stand pictures by Indianaboyd - Photobucket

-Indianaboyd
Both the mount and the sidestand look bent to me. If I were dealing with this, I would replace the mount. Then I would reattach the old sidestand to the new mount to determine how much, and where the old sidestand needed to be bent back into the desired position.

I would do the heating and bending of the sidestand on a workbench and not with it attached to the bike.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
In addition to BL's suggestions, look very closely at the part of the frame the sidestand bolts to. It should be straight, vertical when the bike is vertical. If it is bent, you have a real problem--it is part of the aluminum frame. What he's calling the "mount," the stationary steel piece bolted to the frame, might be called the "bracket" on the Suzuki parts lists. It would be very difficult to straighten even with a press.

To remove the sidestand assembly, I used a socket and extensions and worked from the right side of the bike. The bolts on mine were very tight. Be very careful when you do this work that the bike doesn't fall. Lashing some sort of preventer -- ropes to an overhead joist or tree limb might be prudent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions. I think repairing the side stand without a center stand is going to be tricky.

I looked under the bike on the frame where the rear suspension attaches and noticed several threaded holes. These appear to be for a center stand. I don't know why Suzuki didn't put center stands on the Vstrom, but there are several online stores that sell them.

So far I have found the Suzuki version of the center stand ($214 - $220) and an aftermarket version by SW Motech ($170). These are pretty pricey, but would offer much more versatility than a side stand (i.e. chain maintenance, etc.).

I think I may get a center stand, and then address the side stand later.

- Indianaboyd

·
Registered
600 Posts
The mount on the sidestand will bend if you use the pegs to get on or off the bike. Ask me how I know. In my case, I have also been using a 1000 shock with a Hyperpro spring on a 650 so that raised the whole bike up a ways. I carry a small piece of 2x6 in tank bag. Cheap solution. I have been intending to cut the sidestand in half and add a section but never get around to it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Her is a thought.... since many people end up adding a centerstand so they can lube the chain... Perhaps you may opt to get a centerstand 1st.

In that way, you will still be able to ride and park your Wee whilst you are working thru the issues with the sidestand.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Her is a thought.... since many people end up adding a centerstand so they can lube the chain... Perhaps you may opt to get a centerstand 1st.

In that way, you will still be able to ride and park your Wee whilst you are working thru the issues with the sidestand.
This sounds like a great idea and it would be what I would do. That way you're secure in your repairs and can take your time to do things right. Great suggestion.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
That way you're secure in your repairs
Even then it is smart to strap the centerstand forward so it can't fold up when pushing & pulling on big wrenches, as well as a preventer to the overhead to keep the bike from falling it the push & pull gets off center.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts