StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

on Friday I had my 2 new metzlers installed on my 08 Vee.

While balancing my rear tire, the tech noticed i had a bent rim. not huge, but certainly enough to notice.

He said not to worry about since I cant "feel" it on the bike, and it is not causing any air leaks.

So, question is, am i ok to run on this or do I need to spend the big bucks for a new rim?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.

The tech told me trying to bend it back might result in stressing the alloy and ending up with a cracked rim over time.

any truth?

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
A very bent rim may hold air fine.

A dope in an Audi bent my rear rim in at least 3/4 of an inch, and I was amazed that the rim would still hold air. The rim looked gruesome, it was so bent, yet it held air for the week it took to get a new rim at the dealer. I stayed in town, and I doubt I went over 40 MPH but after a while I was confident it would hold for a while. I guess I went 150 miles or so in that condition.

Eventually, all was repaired, including a close inspection of bearings and stuff, and only the rim needed replacement, plus a few rubber bits. Years later, all is still well.

I tried as hard as I could to either break the old rim or pound it into shape. I am not particularly strong, and I did not use a mighty hammer, but all I did was leave some shiny marks on the rim. Apart from those scuffs, I had no effect on the rim.

Your Mileage May Vary, of course, but I was warned that it would be
A BAD IDEA to try to squeeze or bash the bent rim back into shape,
especially as the Audi driver's insurance would cover a new rim,
as of course is proper. I did not consider seeking ways to fix the rim.

I haven't checked Pat's links, because I do not need to, but I have
learned, as have many others here, to rely on his wisdom. Do that.

Keith

P.S. This story happened in Toronto. The dealer was Hillcrest Suzuki
on Yonge, near highway 7. Keith looked after me very well.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,403 Posts
It is a common and safe to properly repair aluminum rims. I am going to have the front one on the Wee fixed here in Houston this week. If someone else wants to pay for it, buy a new one. Good straight rims are hard to find for V Stroms as the rims are prone to being bent ( 3 spoke rims are know for this ), so a proper repair is often the only choice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts