StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Visit Corning Glassworks

I have been to Corning to see the Glassworks several times. I think you might enjoy detouring south to see that. This adds about sixty miles to your journey, but in my opinion it is worth the extra work.

The museum shows you many of the attributes that glass doesn't obviously have, such as flexibility and resistance to impact. And of course there are things to buy, some very utilitarian and some very elegant.

I saw a gorgeous vase made by a glassblower. When it was done, he showed it to us from a distance, then broke it. I think the idea was that such a vase must be allowed to cool slowly at various points in its manufacture; if this annealing is not done, then the final product is very fragile, explosively so, and thus dangerous to be near.

If you are going to be in Niagara Falls NY for a considerable time, bring a clothespeg. The Hooker factory makes very stinky chemicals, and the smell becomes bothersome in a short time.

On the other side of the river, you can take off the clothespeg and put in some earplugs. Niagara Falls Ontario is very noisy, and just as unpleasant as the other one after a short time.

In truth, each city has its fine points, but transients and tourists do not see those places at their best.

Enjoy your ride ... as if there is a choice!
Keith

·
Registered
984 Posts
Meander

Grab a map or GPS program and follow anything with a dotted line along it. Avoid the superslap like the plague. As you can see there are lots of interesting routes to follow especially through the Finger Lakes region. For an alternative you could drop south and take route 6 through PA towards WNY and then work your way north to the Falls. Or, throw the map in the trash can and follow your nose. Get lost and have an adventure. Have fun.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Consider going north and across Rte. 28 through the Adirondacks, if you have time.

Rte 20 which parallels the Thruway to the south is also nice. It's a lot of farm land, which may not interest you (I used to have a house in North Petrersburg, and understand you may have seen plenty of farmland) , but further on it passes the north ends of the Finger Lakes, and you can detour to some nice side trips.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
For an alternative you could drop south and take route 6 through PA towards WNY and then work your way north to the Falls.
If you were starting in Niagara Falls and planning to take Rte 6 east through PA, which road would you take to get to Rte. 6?

I'll be doing this next ride next week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts