StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the stock handlebars aren't the best in the world, but the flexibility of them doesn't really bother me. The bend, though, drives me nuts. I wish that they didn't have as much bend and were straighter. Since I have an ABS Wee, I'd rather not swap bars since I'd have to change the brake line to a longer one.

Has anyone tried to just bend the bars to a better sweep? I'm thinking of taking a long pipe and trying to straighten it out. Am I crazy?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Yes, you are crazy. Any manual bending of the OEM bars will weaken them and make them extremely unsafe. Just get some standard diameter bars in a different bend. They are cheap, less flexy, and above all SAFE.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking for the voice of sanity. :D

The stock bars are 7/8"?

Yes, you are crazy. Any manual bending of the OEM bars will weaken them and make them extremely unsafe. Just get some standard diameter bars in a different bend. They are cheap, less flexy, and above all SAFE.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yes 7/8". And yes new bars don't have to cost much and most are a lot better and stronger than stock.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Pretty much all steel bars will have a cross bar making the stiffer then stock and less flex. Aluminum bars can be found without a cross bar making them more compliant. They don't have vibration issue. At least mine don't and good grips like a true dual density like Spider lessen any there may be. I like mine very much. They are 1.125" but easy to find various conversions from 7/8.

·
Registered
8,030 Posts
Well

Technically, re-bending the bars will weaken them. Practically, so long as you aren't bending them much, they'll probably be OK. The temptation is to bend them on the bike, but much better to clamp them in a vise (between blocks of wood) to avoid putting extra strain on the bar mounting hardware. I've been re-bending street and dirt bike bars for decades, and haven't had a failure yet. Have had dirt bike bars bent and rebent several times (before, during, and after crashes), and then they only fracture in a crash, after numerous rebends. On bikes with vibrations, there is such a thing as a bar that is too rigid. So if you go the replacement route, you don't necessarily want the strongest, most rigid bar available.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have to agree with JimDing that it is O.K. to bend the bars. If you ever rode a dirt bike much, you could go broke replacing handle bars that got slightly bent. I have an old piece of pipe that has bent many a handlebar back into shape. However, never use a handlebar or try to straighten one that has a kink in it. Just remember that we are talking about just mildly straightening a handlebar, not trying to reshape it completely.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just buy some dirt bike bars and be done with it. They are strong as heck, and they have a better bend anyway. I put the ProTaper CR hi's on mine and love them. They are the fat bars so they required the conversion blocks but the overall height didn't change all that much so I'm still using 100% stock wiring/hoses/and cables.

And the bike is SO much more comfy now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
risers?

Have you tried using risers? I used pivoting risers from rox with the stock bars and 90% of my wrist pain went away.

And yes I'm going to bend my stock bars using a vice to get rid of the downturn at the bar ends. But I also have a pair of cr high bend pro tapers that I will try as well. If I don't like the pro tapers I will install them on my xr which has the stock bars, rebent by the po after a crash.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you tried using risers? I used pivoting risers from rox with the stock bars and 90% of my wrist pain went away.

And yes I'm going to bend my stock bars using a vice to get rid of the downturn at the bar ends. But I also have a pair of cr high bend pro tapers that I will try as well. If I don't like the pro tapers I will install them on my xr which has the stock bars, rebent by the po after a crash.
I don't really want to go the riser route because that will necessitate replacing the front brake line (ABS bike).

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I don't really want to go the riser route because that will necessitate replacing the front brake line (ABS bike).

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Good time to upgrade to stainless steel braided lines:thumbup1:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good time to upgrade to stainless steel braided lines:thumbup1:
Yes, I know, I'm just on a budget. That's why I thought about bending the bars rather than buy new ones.

Eventually, I'd like to do braided lines. I've used them on mtn bikes before, so I know their benefit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts