StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My Vee's stock handlebars are bent, I suspect due to a fall from the PO. I have measured them and the right hand side has been bent 20mm (4/5ths of an inch) back towards the rider.

My question is, what are your thoughts about bending the bars back to a straighter shape? I believe this is not recommended from a safety perspective, but considering the small amount of the bend and the fact that the bars are made of steel rather than something more brittle has got me thinking about it. Well, that and the fact that new stock bars are going to be around $80-100 :(

If I am going to bend them, any recommendations on how to go about it ?

I have put aftermarket bars on the bike in the meantime but I am not liking them.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I straightened my stock bars.

I found a piece of steel that fit snugly inside the handlebar and slipped a 5' length of 1" steel pipe over that.

I held the bike with a chunk of aluminum between the steering stops while my son pushed like hell.

It took a lot of effort, even with a 5' lever.

Good luck.

·
Registered
335 Posts
When attempting to straighten a bent piece of steel, often you end up with an 'S' instead. This is due to an effect that causes the metal to harden during the moment of the bend. Then when you are pulling it back the other way, the hardened metal retains the bend while the softer metal immediately next to it begins to give in the direction of your fix.
From a metalurgical standpoint, you end up with two hard spots with a weak spot in between. It looks straight. But it is compromised in strength.

In a really hard stop or a wreck, the bar could tear at that point. :yikes:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Given the amount of force it took to straighten the bars, I can't imagine a hard controlled stop would bend the handlebars.

However, I know from personal experience that endoing does wonders for pretzelizing handlebars.

BTW, it's the throttle side that I had previously straightened.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Given the amount of force it took to straighten the bars, I can't imagine a hard controlled stop would bend the handlebars.
Your response is not found in Mr. Know-It-All's Metalurgical Engineering Master Manual. :fineprint:
Please do not attempt to argue the point, armed with practical data, common sense and hard evidence to the contrary.
:green_lol:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the MSR low ATV bars installed at the moment. They are nice bars but just a little too low for me, and they prevent me using my Suzuki handguards and they also put my hands to sleep. I am not sure if it is because my hands have more weight resting on them now or if it is just the harmonics of the bars.

I have a quote for the OEM bars for $99 so I am also considering just putting an up and back 1" riser on the MSR bars instead. I am just reluctant to throw money at a solution that may not even work. I know that the stock bars are "acceptable" for me so I am now leaning towards just getting them.

You've talked me out of bending the old bars straight, both due to safety and the amount of effort involved.

·
Administrator
18,442 Posts
I have the MSR low ATV bars installed at the moment. They are nice bars but just a little too low for me, and they prevent me using my Suzuki handguards and they also put my hands to sleep. I am not sure if it is because my hands have more weight resting on them now or if it is just the harmonics of the bars.

I have a quote for the OEM bars for $99 so I am also considering just putting an up and back 1" riser on the MSR bars instead. I am just reluctant to throw money at a solution that may not even work. I know that the stock bars are "acceptable" for me so I am now leaning towards just getting them.

You've talked me out of bending the old bars straight, both due to safety and the amount of effort involved.
Pro Taper ATV high bars.......and I wouldnt take the crap stock bars for free nonetheless for $100!:yikes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pro tapers

That's my plan exactly! Do u use stock height risers for the large bars? Also, I highly recommend the oversize grips that super moto riders use! Who makes the risers?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Its absolutely fine to rebend/straighten a steel bar if its not bent to the point the walls are deflecting in or collapsing. A bent aluminum bar is ready for the garbage.

Ever wonder why springs are steel and not aluminum...

I would use it as an excuse to buy a new Al bar or look for a steel take off you could get for free. My steel bar is in the basement hiding somewhere or I would give it to you. If I find it I will repost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts