StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked with Dave from Scootworks. Said he would love to do a belt conversion for the 650 V Strom. Anyone willing to let him use your bike to build the kit gets to keep the conversion for free. Wished I lived closer and still might think about it. Anyway let me know and I can send you the e-mail to get in touch with him. His place is in Zebulon, NC.
David

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sure. Why the heck not. I'll pm you with my email address.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Adding a belt is not just changing sprockets to pulleys. Scootworks belt drives were disastrous on Kawasaki 800s. The motor's output shaft bearings were not built for the additional stress put on it by the belt tension (much more so than a chain). Many customers that were initially happy were saddled with major repair bills. That and Daves customer relations have taken a nose dive in recent years.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Not me... there is a reason why belt drives are not as common as chains... I'll stick with 'ole reliable chain & sprockets...

You could buy probably 3 sets of chains/sprockets for the cost of a non commercial hacked up belt drive system for the Strom... Why re-invent the wheel especially when it costs more and may or may not be as reliable or long lasting...

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
My chain works fine. If someone wants to be a guinea pig well okay. Might be interesting to see on someone else's bike.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've always been a bit leery of 'the belt' - from childhood on actually!

For the road it might be deluxe but any debris that can find its way into that thing is gonna make your day go badly. Prolly need a full chain guard surround like those cool old Hondas used to get from the factory. Nyet for me...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yes, small rocks being pulled in between the belt and the pulley is the down side, one rock can take it out. The bikes that come with belts have 2 guards, top and bottom. The benefits are less weight, quiet, clean, and virtually no maintenance. Your tires will need replacing before the belt needs adjusting. I got around 85,000 miles out of the first belt on my Harley, and my second belt now has 85,000, but with no visible wear. Belt technology has improved in the last 20 years. The last 60,000 miles I've run it with no belt guards, so it's not that easy to pick up a rock, but I do very little dirt road riding. My other 2 bikes have chains that I clean and lube religiously, I almost enjoy it, kind of a bonding ritual, but the chain feels like primitive technology compared to the belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts