StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked with Dave from Scootworks. Said he would love to do a belt conversion for the 650 V Strom. Anyone willing to let him use your bike to build the kit gets to keep the conversion for free. Wished I lived closer and still might think about it. Anyway let me know and I can send you the e-mail to get in touch with him. His place is in Zebulon, NC.
David

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
search vsri there was 1 for a DL but it was like $1000

650 would be a better suited application but1st ask of $$$ if its like over $300 can't see it being popular

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Belt drive is street only no? Wouldn't want to get a stick or rock in there when offroading. Unless its sealed somehow.

That doesn't sound like a good application to me??

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why the double post? I think one is enough on this forum...
Once I posted here I figured maybe more would see it on the general board. Sorry for making you read it twice:eek:rig_rolleyes:. Didn't realize it was against the rule.
David

·
Registered
12 Posts
hmmm interesting

might have to check into this, and I'm only about 20mi away. Now if i could just get them to answer the phone!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Having a Harley, I am familair with the belt systems. Beside the cost of fabbing a "one of" system some other issues to consider.

The good. The belts and sprockets last a long time. They run clean. No lube. On my 70ish HP HD, you adjust once and forget about them.

The bad. A belt system is much wider than a chain for the same hp rating. The sprockets are also much bigger in diameter, a major issue for the front sprocket on a strom given the sprocket cover and its assorted sensors. Belt is continous, so changes require removing swing arm completely. I have seen a couple belts that sucked up a small piece of gravel. This will put a hole in the belt or create an edge tear, requiring replacement.

For street only...it could make sense for less maintenace...but I bet it will cost more in the long run. For trail usage, I am thinking chain is much better.

Given the choice, I prefer the chain on the strom and the belt on the Harley. And would not do the reverse.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Belt drive is street only no? Wouldn't want to get a stick or rock in there when offroading. Unless its sealed somehow.

That doesn't sound like a good application to me??
I agree, but the Buell Ulysses was about as dirt capable as a VStrom and it came with a belt. I like belt drive ... up until the point you have to change it.

·
Administrator
17,222 Posts
Dumb idea..........buy a cruiser if you want a belt drive.

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
My 800ST beemer has a belt, it's $425 to buy to replace plus the installation fee.
Replacement chain for the Wee $154 including the chain.
I do have 52K on the belt and it seems OK but BMW says it's a 24K mile part.
I try to avoid dirt roads due to stone damage of the belt.
Are you sure it's a good idea? I know Hardley says the belt is a lifetime thing. But who knows?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Belts are very funny about the tension. If you get them too loose, they slip. Get it a fuzz too tight and it will snap like a twigg. A spring loaded tensioner pully would help. The suspension travel of the Vee/Wee would create some unique issues.

Scooterwerks made a kit for a Bandit and the bike promptly broke two belts. The new owner is converting it back over to chain.

I wouldn't let Scooterwerks touch my lawnmower let alone my bike. Leave yours with them at your own risk!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Once I posted here I figured maybe more would see it on the general board. Sorry for making you read it twice:eek:rig_rolleyes:. Didn't realize it was against the rule.
David
Don't pay "The Big Head" any nevermind David. I very rarely ever read anything in the Wee/Glee sections. The funny part is the Wee/Glee riders are neverending about sticking their nose in the Vee section:confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts