StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We we had a couple warm days so I spent yesterday working on my wife's DN-01 and today was the Vee's turn. I had bought a center stand from a board member and a set of Altrider guards and skid plate at the NY Show.

I have a bad back and recovering from shoulder surgery so I was worried about the install.. The Center Stand was a piece of cake to install, even the springs. I tied a piece of twine from the spring to the read wheel and had my son roll the bike forward a bit and it popped right in place..

The guards were also a snap to install. The hardest part was breaking free the through bolt. Took 20 min tops.

The skid plate was another story... You have to remove the 2 bolts that hold the side stand in place and you have almost no room. Used a wrench on one and it was an 1/8 of a turn at a time and it was loaded with locktite. after installing the rear bracket, these 2 bolts had to be replaced.. What a nightmare... After some cussing and wrench throwing I got them in. The rest of the install was a breeze but 1 of the 2 bolts the attach the pan to the bracket was 1/4in too long and was pressing against the exhaust. I did not want to take a change on it rubbing through I cut the bolt down and it fits perfect.

I am really impressed with Altriders guards and plate. They are beefy and very well made. Hand Welded!! I went with the stainless guards and the bare aluminum skid plate and it is clear coated to keep that bright brushed finish. They really look sharp!!

Down side is that my back and shoulder are killing me now so no test ride :-(

Mark

·
Registered
441 Posts
Nice job! The worst part is getting done with the work and then being too sore to take it out for a ride. I always said I wasn't done working on a vehicle until I bled. Thank goodness that didn't happen today.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi All,

The skid plate was another story... You have to remove the 2 bolts that hold the side stand in place and you have almost no room. Used a wrench on one and it was an 1/8 of a turn at a time and it was loaded with locktite. after installing the rear bracket, these 2 bolts had to be replaced.. What a nightmare... After some cussing and wrench throwing I got them in.

Mark
I feel your pain those bolts suck!

·
Registered
522 Posts
For every job there is a tool!

A 15 degree wobble extension makes the bolt removal a snap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts