StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning while riding in traffic on a busy road, a bee flew into my helmet and stung me. Trying to ride while in pain and frantically working to get a bee out of your helmet in traffic is no fun. Glad I'm not allergic but still have a bump on the side of my face. :furious:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ah bee stings!! I have to tell this story......as I was having my passport recorded going into the Darien Province of Panama a bee flew up my shirt and sting me while talking to the guard, I pulled my shirt off a fast as possible to remove the bee or what ever it was and the whole army laughed their heads off as I stood there with out a shirt!! At the time I was taking the photo of a young armyman sitting on my bike with his machine gun hahaha

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Since the Givi gives me a nice air pocket around my helmet, I usually ride with the face shield up. Once I did get a big bug inside the helmet, made it straight through the air stream. I could feel it wriggling around, digging it's little claws into my temple. Fortunately it was not a stinging bug but I didn't waste any time pulling off the road and getting the helmet off. I really should keep the shield down more often, because of the stinging issue, and if that bug had hit my eye (1" over) I would have been in big trouble.

Reactions: Snowlover

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yup, bee sting on my upper lip doing 75mph on the freeway was not fun. But....the look of my upper lip being three times its normal size was funnier than all heck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Been there twice. Never had much of a reaction to bee stings until I was about 50. Then I got stung inside the helmet twice in two years. First one was moderate swelling, second one closed my eye.

However, a couple of years later, I had one crawl up my pants leg at a stop light. I could feel him/her climbing up but could not do anything. Then, ........

Ouch! Notice how nicely swelled my ankle got. I also had several red splotches that popped up over my leg and abdomen. I guess some people get adult allergies that get worse with age. Now I have an epi pen because the next one might even be worse than this.

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
Ah, bee in the bonnet. Had that going to work. Felt a presence and touched my collar and the bugger got me in the neck. Bad enough but then it crawled down my shirt into my neck to arm pit tickling as it went.
Did a quick pull over and extracated the dying bug and was on my way. No allergic reaction.
Good solid European stock, eh!
Ever see that swarm coming at you when bombing down the highway? Bee-nato! Thank goodness for windscreens.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Got hit right between the eyes one time running 60 by a June bug with a quarter in its pocket. Nearly knocked me out. Got hit by a bat one time too. Luckily had a face shield that time.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
I just thought of something. One's buddies should also know how to use it.

I've been told how by another Strommer who carries one and with whom I've ridden but, to tell the truth, I'd need a refresher on its use.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The only problem is that I usually (95% of the time) ride alone. My reactions up until now are slow - no symptoms for usually several hours. That photo was taken about 24 hours after the sting. I carry a note with me along with instructions just in case. There are good graphics and quick instructions on the box - takes about 20 seconds to read and figure out.

Good advice, though.

Reactions: p38arover

·
Registered
196 Posts
While doing the big Europe tour in 1969 on my CB450 Honda was approaching Valencia in Spain as the orange blossoms were in full flower and bees thick in the air. Got stung on the throat, no trouble, but next day another sting in the same spot and it felt like a heart attack. Lucky I'm not allergic to them but they do sting.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
When I lived on Norfolk Island, the groundsman where I worked was allergic to bee stings. He told me of being stung and the anaphylactic shock closed up his throat very quickly making it extremely difficult to breathe.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Just got stung twice on the back, on a way home from work. Wasp got under jacket and shirt, and was crawling, I guess wiggling back was a big mistake.

Could only get it out when got home and took jacket and shirt off.

Riding in heavy traffic with all this was "stunning".

·
Registered
17 Posts
In my early teens got a wasp up the helmet. Later teens a hornet landed on my shoulder and I thought I would hit him to kill it, big mistake. Two hits and two stings later I thump him off. When I was station in Guam something called a boonie bee hit me in the forearm, it ended up looking like one of Popeye's arms. The first and last time I couldn't get stop fast enough.

·
Administrator
17,523 Posts
Thankfully never in in helmet, but have gotten stung more than once in my neck or further in my jacket. Rule of thumb is this......if you ride often enough, you will get stung by a bee.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've yet to get anything in the helmet or jacket while on the motorcycle, but the bicycles are a different story. Took a June bug in da face while cruising on my road bike around 30MPH. On the mountain bike, coming down the hill on Snowshoe Dr from Snowshoe to StRt66, I got a yellow jacket in my jersey (had the zipper half unzipped) while riding about 50MPH. That was fun...right hand on front brake and the left hand frantically trying to get the jersey unzipped the rest of the way. I think I got stung 3 or 4 times.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts