StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode my first Wee home Tuesday afternoon and my rear end was sore after about 40 minutes or so. (Other than the seat, this bike is a blast!)

So, I remember the same thing happening on a bicycle and eventually the right areas toughen up and you get used to it. To the daily commuters, have any of you toughened up, or am I going to end up getting a new seat?

I've seen plenty of threads comparing seat options, but I'm curious if anyone has overcome the sore backside on the stock seat.

·
Registered
15,911 Posts
I got the stock seat and the gel seat with my Wee. I prefer the stock seat. The gel seat seemed harder and less forgiving.
I do use an Air Hawk pad on the seat though. Makes all the difference in the world to my tush. Only about $100 on the internet

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The Bead Rider wooden bead pad is also a help. Or, remove the cover and modify the foam yourself. Or, have a local upholstery shop modify it. Or, keep an eye out for a good used semi-custom seat, or buy one new. Or, ride to a shop to have a full custom seat made for you.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
For those of us who suffer from sorassitis the only real solution is a quality saddle.

My definition of a quality saddle is spelled R.U.S.S.E.L.L.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I wouldn't say the stock saddle ever bothered me, but, like anything, you get more used to it with a little bit of time. I've ridden 12 hour days and never thought about replacing the stock saddle.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've been riding on the stock seat since '05. Just last week, I noticed that after an hour or so of riding, I could put my feet down when I stopped - instead of being on my toes. Took the seat to a local upholstery place and had a layer of orthopedic foam put in - no more sore bum or back!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had the same experience. I rolled the dice and replaced the stock seat with the Suzuki gel seat ($190) and sold the stock seat for $100. No regrets. I don't ride far or often enough to justify one of the more expensive options.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I guess that I am just different.....

I have 94,000 miles on my stock seat. If I had to replace it, I would buy another stock seat. It is perfect for the kind of riding that I do.

840 miles is my longest day yet in the seat. I could easily have done 1,000.

B.L.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I commute every day on mine. When I first got it 30 mins. was enough to make me think that the seat was a torture device. But it's much better now that I've gotten use to it, that parts that hurt do toughen up and I don't think much about it anymore. Longer rides will require some breaks, especially because of the range of this bike IMO. My previous bike was less fuel efficient and had a smaller gas tank so I was forced into more breaks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I commute every day and do a couple of long trips each year - this year 8400 km/17 days and 2600 km/3.5 days. I find the stock seat OK. My two complaints are the dip doesn't allow me to shift position (I keeping sliding back to the same spot) and the seat height on this bike is too low. I borrowed a friend's DL 1000 seat and the increased height is about right, maybe needs a bit more - and the ability to move around is greater. I am going to modify my seat to remove a lot of the dip (flatten it out), raising the seat height at the same time.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I've posted a couple of places on this. For me, it's the slope of the seat; the angle is too gradual and long; not scooped enough, with the result that your butt is sitting on the slope, but your legs aren't really supporting the weight equally. The effect it has on me is it wants to curl my lower spine back and up, just as if I were sitting for a while on an incline. (I suppose one could hug the tank where it's a bit flatter, but that does not work for me.) After about 40 minutes as you say, my lower back and cheeks begin to go numb. However, I also have "ridden through" this and got used to it. In June, I did 5,000 miles in about 10-11 days and wasn't bothered. But when I am off the bike for a while and go back to it, the same feeling comes right back. I compared this seat to the one on my Sprint and the angle is about the same, but on that bike, my feet are under me more and because I am leaning forward, there is no lifting or curling of my lower back. I will be doing a seat mod of some kind soon myself.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Take the cover off, cut out some foam and then add some in to give the most comfortable seat to suit your particular shape. Cheap and very easy to do plus great results, mine cost me a total of around $45 NZD and is now one of the most comfortable seats I've had.

Theres a tutorial at Modify Seat
Happy riding.
C

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I first got it 30 mins. was enough to make me think that the seat was a torture device. But it's much better now that I've gotten use to it, that parts that hurt do toughen up and I don't think much about it anymore.
That's what I was hoping to hear.

Bumper, that's some great custom work on yours.

I appreciate everyone's insight. Thanks.

·
Registered
459 Posts
When I bought my Wee in Jan 10 it was murder for a month, genuine agony after an hour or so. I've ridden bikes for years so my butt is pretty well conditioned to bike seats, but it was dreadful. However - after a month or so the foam started to shape and soften and now it is amongst the most comfortable seats I've had. The Bandit seat with nearly 10,000km on it now is still as hard as a plank, and getting back on the Wee is like sitting on a soft cushion. Persevere with it for a month or two until it breaks in. The Bandit seat is getting a bit of a rebuild though.

If you want to soften it up, take the cover off and use a utility knife to score long parallel lines about 1" apart and 1" deep across the foam on the part where your butt bones sit then put a 3/4" thick piece of soft sponge foam over the entire pad and refit and re-staple the cover. There's more than enough give in the vinyl to take the extra foam without any problems. Be careful to cut the seat foam about halfway through, no more.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The Stock seat was uncomfortable for me at first, but it has not bothered me for a long time......87000km's on the stock seat now....maybe the first few thousand were uncomfortable

·
Registered
42 Posts
1000 Seat Better than 650

I put 10,000 miles on my DL-1000 on the stock seat with no complaints. That is not the case for my 650. I replaced it with a Corbin after my first few rides. If I could have found a stock 1000 seat for a reasonable price i would have bought it. Anyone have one they want to sell or trade for the lower 650 seat?

·
Registered
35 Posts
+1 on finding someone local to work with. Found a local m/c hobbyist who also owned a upholstery place. I brought him pictures (from the web) and was able to test ride the saddle a few times with a temporary cover to get the shape just right before the final cover was sewed on.

·
Registered
278 Posts
seat

Great seat WeeBittall :thumbup: . The big advantage with a custom seat is that it is possible to test it and have it modified to suit you 100%.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts