StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i have a 2006 vstrom 1000 i have 37000 km on the bike, ok so this all started when i one day i noticed it had a little oil leaking out of the front sprocket cover, so i took it home right away wasnt down on oil very much like 100 mill, and i noticed it started have a vibration in the front foot pegs on the way home so i took it up to a bike shop and they said the push rod seal is leaking so they replaced the push rod seal and i went to pick it up and on the way home it started leaking again so i took it back up and the said it was leaking out of the same seal, and they said there was someing thing causing it to leak go figure, any way so then they took of the side were the clutch is in and said the could move the shaft that the sprocket is on and it had some play when the moved it so the said the bearing on the sprocket shaft is gone and thats in the block and thats why oil is leaking out out the push rod seal.

Sory for suck a long story and they said it goin to cost 2500 dollars to fix it haha great so what do you guys think i ordered a seal and push rod this time and i am goin to try to do it my self to get it to stop leaking, since they only replaced the seal on the push rod

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I don't see how the pushrod seal would keep leaking due to a bad output shaft bearing. The seal behind the sprocket on the output shaft, yes, but not the pushrod seal.
$2500 sounds a bit stiff to fix it unless it's a spun bearing in the main casting and requires the cases to be replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea thats what i thought about the push rod seal to but with that bearing they just said when the turn it or move the shaft there is play in it and it on the other side of the motor witch they have to spit the block i dont know very frustrating so is there any thing i should know when i try to do the push rod and seal i am changing them both

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
If the sprocket shaft wiggles then you have a real problem

Also look for cracks in the area that may be weeping

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Having the chain too tight can cause that bearing to fail.

I replaced both of those gaskets on my bike recently and the leaking stopped. The seal behind the sprocket was a bugger to get out. There are a few tutorials on that replacement. It is simple enough.

The worst part was cleaning out the old gunk in front sprocket area. Oil leaks suck and that buildup only gets worse over time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thanks alot and yea i have never had the chain to tight, see they told me that it was that bearing gone but sprocket seal is not gone and when i pull the clutch in it goes away so i don't know

1 - 7 of 7 Posts