StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've talked to a few people that have really good things to say about bead seats, especially to help with cooling in hot weather. I'm ready to pull the trigger on getting one for the Wee.

On one MC podcast I listen to, the host strongly recommended getting one with ceramic beads, but didn't really give any details as to why. Checking out Amazon, I see you can get a model with wood beads for around $11, while a similarly sized ceramic model is $70.

I'm all for buying quality when it's warranted, but it's hard for me to justify paying 6-7 times more in this case. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Have never had the seat troubles of most because I move around so much and still can ride all day for a number of days with no trouble in old age.Rode my wee on a 900+ day at age 69 and still rode every day after that for weeks. Eat less,drink more water, and move,move,and move some more. I did have a bead seat lay over as a gift and used it a little but when a string broke gave it to a friend.I do pack some stuff with old bubble wrap sometimes and it can be used it you become tender.Give most of it away on trips to ones with tender rears. Unless splinters?can see no reason what they were made of would matter but I ain't the smartest man in the world.>:)

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You cannot get a Beadrider for $11.

The difference is $20 or so
https://www.beadrider.com/product/ultimate-beadrider-seat-front-seat-only/

The Ceramic Beadrider will likely outlast you and your bike.
Water shakes off
The Beadrider is the $70 ceramic option (via Amazon).

The ones with the wood beads can be had for as little as $11.
https://www.amazon.com/Zento-Deals-...14322153&sr=8-2&keywords=motorcycle+bead+seat

I guess this is the heart of my question -- do I need a bead seat that will outlast me and my bike? Or do I get the less expensive option and simply replace it if necessary down the line?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Have you considered a Sit&Fly seat cover. Much better than beads in my book. Search for threads here about them and pro/ con discussions.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I am a seat bead believer. In the summer it helps get some air flowing underneath you and when its raining it allows you to sit above the water and it drains out instead of of pooling between you legs. I have a wood Bead Rider and have used it for the last 5 or 6 years and it just now starting to show some paint wear. No way I'd ever spend the cash on ceramic.

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
I alternate BeadRider and Airhawk but I'd certainly consider that SitnFly as an inexpensive try.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I use the cheap MEC inflatable seat cushion under the Sit n Fly on both my bikes. There is nothing better for long ride comfort.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Seat options.......Seat options......Hmmmmmm

I have the ceramic Bead Rider. I don't like it. After 30 minutes I can feel each bead on my butt. Not as bad with my heavier riding pants. I also have a Air Hawk but haven't been able to find the sweet spot with that either. I also have a sheepskin cover. With a couple of layers of the small bubble wrap under the sheepskin is my best seat so far. I shoulda just went with a TM seat.......I've almost got that much $$ into a box of stuff I no longer use.

Sp56

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
So sell it ...easy stuff to sell

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have a ceramic ultimate beadrider (13x13) on my 2015 wee. My butt is no longer the limiting factor for how long a day i can ride. I did a saddlesore 1000 the day after installing it.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
One rider here who did Alaska picked one up ...he was not able to do more than 250 miles before ....did back to back 1,000 miles on his way to Alaska.
Not for everyone but worth the try and easy to resell.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I find (wood) beaded seats provide comfort in hot and hot/humid weather by allowing air circulation between your butt and the seat which you wouldn't otherwise get. I can't imagine using them for any other reason than that but for that purpose they shine.

don't know what advantage ceramic could have over wood.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've had this same $11 wooden bead seat cover since 2010. It's logged 10k+ miles without issues on (4) different bikes. It's been used in rain/sleet/100*+ heat and still looks like new. No need to spend more $$..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Y'all must have ample butts to be comfy sitting on beads!

I tried them but my bony butt said nyet!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'll second Spec here. I had a beaded seat cover two summers ago. Did a couple one thousand mile days with temps cracking 100*. The air flow was awesome and helped a lot, but I'm a skinny guy, 6' and 155 lbs, and I could feel every damned bead. Then I got a Sit and Fly cover. AWESOME!! Airflow is as good and shedding water is good too. Bonus is that it seems to conform to me way better too. I have lost all interest in a high end aftermarket seat. I think it was $20 or $25.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lots of great feedback!

I decided to go with a wood bead seat I found on Amazon for $12. After weighing all the information above, I decided to try the cheap option first. As some have said, it'll probably last as long as I intend to own the bike (5-7 years); but if it doesn't, I'm only out $12. Then I can decide if I like the beads enough to pony up for the higher-end model, or if I should try the Sit & Fly. One question on the latter -- I have a Russell Day-Long seat: will the S&F work for that? I had a hard time determining that from their website.

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another cheap tip I use on long trips is putting a piece of sheep wool on top of the beads. I use a genuine sheep wool wash mitt i bought at Walmart for $10. Genuine wool breaths and the synthetic ones don't. I cut off the wrist cuff, and cut up the seam on thumb side up to the middle of the hand. The mitt then folds open flat. Works like a charm. I don't have a bony ass but I'm not big boned either :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Lots of great feedback!

I decided to go with a wood bead seat I found on Amazon for $12. After weighing all the information above, I decided to try the cheap option first. As some have said, it'll probably last as long as I intend to own the bike (5-7 years); but if it doesn't, I'm only out $12. Then I can decide if I like the beads enough to pony up for the higher-end model, or if I should try the Sit & Fly. One question on the latter -- I have a Russell Day-Long seat: will the S&F work for that? I had a hard time determining that from their website.
The Sit&Fly is quite a bit bigger than the stock seat plus it will stretch a little if need be so I think it will fit ok. Given the low cost it's really not a big risk and if you really don't like it sell it here, someone will take it.
I was skeptical but have done many 10+h riding days on it on the stock V2 seat. No way I would have done that without that cover. Just be mindful that the material is rather tough and will scratch painted surfaces!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts