StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want see what works for you guys who have used one of those aids on top of your seat. In my case, the seat contour of my 2016 DL1000A is such that, combined with my riding posture that 'things' are getting numb fairly quickly in front where seat contour moves up tank. Never used either Bead Rider (old school ?) or an air cushion / inflated bladders like Bad Ass and others. Are they creating any improvement not only under buttocks but also about ones genitals getting numb ? I have practiced in past to lift up/stand on pegs for bit to allow blood flow. Thanks, Juergen

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have used both a Bead Rider and an Airhawk inflatable pad. My preference is the Airhawk. Others swear by the beaded covers, but for me after a 600 mile day it felt like I'd been sitting on a waffle iron! Haven't used it since! So, beads aren't for everyone. I'm currently using a Sit 'n Fly cover on my 2015 Wee Strom and so far it works. The true test will be summer heat. All three seem to help with the issue you're asking about. Good luck in your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
If your issue is with the front of the seat pressure point, then I doubt either of these products will help. Can i suggest you bring the handlebars back 1 "?

I use a bead rider on top of a Seat Concepts seat. The seat concepts had a better contour and the bead rider eliminated hot spots. I was able to comfortably ride 1600 km in a day last September.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
Airhawk didn't work much for me, and yes I had the proper amount of air or lack there of in it. The beadrider seems to be a pretty big hit here, I'm sure it works better than a sheepskin pad. Still nothing better than a proper saddle, and a beadrider on top of that could be even better.

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
I like the air hawk. Never tried the beads. With a skinny meatless butt the beads just don't' sound comfy where ass the air hawk has no hard nodes to pound my boney butt on.
I've managed to purchase all the air hawk pads I've gotten at less than retail. Like slightly used, not soiled or abused too badly.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
a proper saddle, and a beadrider on top of that could be even better.
yep tho I also use an Airhawk ...both are so easy to pack that I keep them handy.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Wow, your problem seems intense. I've done a couple long rides, a few unofficial "iron butts" and this seat is by far the best i had in oems, so much so that i passed on an awesome deal on a barely used corbin.

One thing i've been wondering about, is going to someone who can upholster seats, make him carve in the oem foam so he could place a memory foam or gel insert.

Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Carpeted Toilet lid cover with padding and no-slip added to the bottom. Strap attached to underneath sides of seat. Pad slips under it.

Cheap, and works great. Been using this for many years. Feels just like a sheepskin.

KLR rider?

Got a milk crate on the back?

:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
I’m sure the toilet pad helps, but it’s far from the authentic sheepskin pads. :wink2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
In search of comfort............

I've got a bead rider ("ultimate" ceramic bead model). The air circulation under it is great but I can't ride more than 20 minutes without feeling the individual beads. Got an Airhawk too and still haven't found that "just right" amount of air. I have a sheepskin as well and tried 2 layers of bubble wrap (the small bubble stuff) under it, as recommended by another forum member and that was pretty comfortable although I've only tried it for about an hours ride. I'm pretty close to custom seat $$ and still not there comfort wise.

Sp56

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Best I've found is a Sit & Fly seat cover with an AirHawk under it, the Sit & Fly on it's own is 90% of it though. It'd probably work well with a lump of foam under it as well.

At $20 one of the best value for money farkles around.

·
Registered
401 Posts
^^^ Yup. I had beads, I'll leave them to the taxi drivers.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,189 Posts
Go to your CVS or Walgreen, buy the Hemorrhoid inflatable donut. The heavier duty one in red rubber work very, very good. You will need a way to strap them down, I use a cover for a gel pad that didn't work out that I sewed a strap that goes under my seat. Since I have Russells on the bikes now I don't use it, but it worked better for me than an Airhawk, sheepskin, or beads back in the day. You have to figure out just how to position it, but that only takes a minute.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Airhawk here. The secret is to let a TON of air out of it, so it almost seems flat. Believe it or not when you receive it most people will have to let air out of it instead of inflating it.

Many people over-inflate them and that takes away from the ability for the air to distribute between the bladders of the seat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts